Author Topic: It's getting sporty in Washington...  (Read 80715 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: It's getting sporty in Washington...
« Reply #950 on: May 28, 2023, 10:46:06 AM »
Okay, so what did Rhodes actually do?

Seditious conspiracy is the main charge he was found guilty of. He was also found guilty of obstruction of an official proceeding and tampering with documents and proceedings.

Other members/leaders of the Oath Keepers also found guilty of various charges. I think there is still a trial for a few more.

This will also allow for future charges against other groups too, such as ANTIFA and other leftist terrorist groups too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seditious_conspiracy
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #951 on: May 28, 2023, 10:53:40 AM »
This will also allow for future charges against other groups too, such as ANTIFA and other leftist terrorist groups too.

:rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #952 on: May 28, 2023, 10:56:40 AM »

Hard to say. Doing a Google search just now, I got four pages of MSM, Daily Beast, Vox, Salon, et al. The closest right leaning link I found was a NOV22 article from Cato Institute stating what his conviction was (sedition).

Wiki has this to say:

Stewart Rhodes. Elmer Stewart Rhodes III (born 1966) is a disbarred American lawyer, convicted felon, domestic terrorist, [3] and the founder of Oath Keepers, [4] an American far-right and alt-right anti-government militia.

The best I can see, trying to sift through the biased sources, is that he organized one of the protest groups, bought a bunch of guns beforehand, which was widely mentioned in articles, but brought none of the to the protest (not mentioned in articles). He was on Capitol grounds, but never in the building. He "obstructed official proceedings". After the protest, he was apparently recorded saying that he regretted not having people show up armed, and something about hanging Nancy Pelosi from a lamp post.

The most I could see out of this would be 18 months, not 18 years. Apparently because a judge declared him a terrorist, harsher punishments were made available for what otherwise would be misdemeanor trespassing (there are hundreds of incidents yearly involving protestors "obstructing official proceedings" in state capitols all over the country). Nobody got 18 years for it. He didn't even destroy any property from what I read, so they couldn't even get him for destruction of government property.

If talking about hanging Nancy Pelosi is a crime, there are hundreds of thousands of people that need to be arrested for saying the same about pretty much every notable politician ever.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #953 on: May 28, 2023, 10:59:28 AM »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 11:13:09 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #954 on: May 28, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »

If talking about hanging Nancy Pelosi is a crime, there are hundreds of thousands of people that need to be arrested for saying the same about pretty much every notable politician ever.

How many years did she get?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #956 on: May 28, 2023, 12:04:15 PM »

If the people that you elect won't do that, vote for the other guy in your party's primary.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #957 on: May 28, 2023, 12:16:33 PM »
If the people that you elect won't do that, vote for the other guy in your party's primary.
Personally I’m not sure I like the idea of seditious conspiracy being used even against ANTIFA, although it would be a significantly more appropriate use than on the Proud Keepers or whatever right wing fringe group you are particularly enraged by. Out of curiosity and since you claimed it was a likely outcome, do you think that the people you vote for are likely to apply seditious conspiracy to ANTIFA?

I think there are plenty of more direct and obvious charges that were bypassed for ANTIFA types.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #958 on: May 28, 2023, 12:22:58 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #959 on: May 28, 2023, 02:25:06 PM »

From what I've seen he had the temerity to loudly and publicly vocally oppose the democrat agenda.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #960 on: May 28, 2023, 04:20:52 PM »

The best I can see, trying to sift through the biased sources, is that he organized one of the protest groups, bought a bunch of guns beforehand, which was widely mentioned in articles, but brought none of the to the protest (not mentioned in articles). He was on Capitol grounds, but never in the building. He "obstructed official proceedings". After the protest, he was apparently recorded saying that he regretted not having people show up armed, and something about hanging Nancy Pelosi from a lamp post.

People say that on arfcom every day.  It is still not clear to me yet what he did that was illegal.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #961 on: May 28, 2023, 06:43:47 PM »

Charby, you're just wrong.
It's obvious, don't dig your hole deeper bro.
 :old:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #962 on: May 29, 2023, 02:22:14 PM »
Personally I’m not sure I like the idea of seditious conspiracy being used even against ANTIFA, although it would be a significantly more appropriate use than on the Proud Keepers or whatever right wing fringe group you are particularly enraged by. Out of curiosity and since you claimed it was a likely outcome, do you think that the people you vote for are likely to apply seditious conspiracy to ANTIFA?

I think there are plenty of more direct and obvious charges that were bypassed for ANTIFA types.

In the last primary election, I could see the folks I voted for going after any group, left or right that interrupted official events or committed seditious conspiracy. I tend to vote against an incumbent if I'm not liking the current situation or they are not behaving like they promised in the initial campaign. I have no problem with a protest vote in November either. It's great not being aligned with any major party, no loyalty, and they are all self serving a-holes.

Uranus is a gas giant.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #963 on: May 30, 2023, 10:53:47 PM »
What your Congresscritter thinks is irrelevant. The federal prosecutors won't pursue cases agaist lefties.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #964 on: May 31, 2023, 06:43:38 AM »
Ashli Babbitt's mother arrested

The mother of the woman shot and killed by Capitol Police on during the January 6 riot was arrested on Tuesday night following a violent confrontation with a protester outside the Washington DC prison where the rioters are being held.

Witthoeft, from Spring Valley, California, can be seen marching close to Brianne Chapman, who goes by the name Anarchy Princess and live-streamed the event.

Chapman had previously, in October, live-streamed herself stamping on flowers outside the Capitol which were placed to mark Babbitt's birthday.

On Monday, Chapman yelled: 'F*** Ashli Babbitt!'

As the group marched through DC, Chapman shouted with a megaphone: 'Terrorists coming through your neighborhood!'

She continued: 'Ashli Babbitt's mom, domestic terrorist! Nazis incoming! Insurrectionist losers!'

Then Witthoeft broke Chapman's megaphone
She was then charged with  with assault and destruction of property and later released.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12142367/Ashli-Babbitts-mother-Micki-Witthoeft-58-charged-assault-destruction-property.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #965 on: May 31, 2023, 07:12:54 AM »
Also, no fundraising allowed:

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-riot-fundraisers-fines-clawback-justice-department-3490da93a6bea505e76bd249eeab72ba

Hmmm ...

Their fundraising success suggests that many people in the United States still view Jan. 6 rioters as patriots and cling to the baseless belief that Democrats stole the 2020 presidential election from Donald Trump.

The AP never misses an opportunity to push the agenda that any and all suggestions the election was flawed fixed are "baseless." I haven't noticed the AP covering the story of the videos from Maricopa County, Arizona, showing election staffers meddling with the voting machines AFTER they had supposedly been certified and sealed. Of course they won't mention that -- it doesn't support the agenda.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #966 on: May 31, 2023, 05:18:54 PM »
and yes Virgina, ANTIFA people do get arrested and charged with domestic terrorism. Granted it is the state of Georgia, but it does happen.

March of this year.

https://www.atlantapd.org/Home/Components/News/News/3927/17

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #967 on: May 31, 2023, 06:03:25 PM »
and yes Virgina, ANTIFA people do get arrested and charged with domestic terrorism. Granted it is the state of Georgia, but it does happen.

March of this year.

What's the over/under on any of those folks getting two decades in jail?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #968 on: May 31, 2023, 06:05:43 PM »
What's the over/under on any of those folks getting two decades in jail?

Who knows, I am unfamiliar with Georgia courts, but they still execute people there.

Google says 5 to 35 years for Domestic Terrorism charge in GA.

Uranus is a gas giant.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #969 on: June 02, 2023, 12:04:28 AM »

March of this year.

Are those state or federal charges?  Good for Georgia, but the Feds are still operating with an extreme anti-right bias.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #970 on: June 02, 2023, 10:39:26 AM »
Are those state or federal charges?  Good for Georgia, but the Feds are still operating with an extreme anti-right bias.

State charges in Georgia

I did google federal charges against ANTIFA members and this link came up, granted it is 3 years ago, but the courts move slow in some areas

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/over-300-people-facing-federal-charges-crimes-committed-during-nationwide-demonstrations

I think groups like Oath Keepers and Proud Boy get more media attention because there is a known leadership structure, where as groups like ANTIFA really don't have a known leadership. The lefty groups more than likely learned their lesson in the 1960-1970s when the feds went after them and don't show a clear organized leadership.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #971 on: June 02, 2023, 10:44:04 AM »
Could be more ANTIFA members being charged out there but the MSM could be burying the stories like my cat buries a turd.
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #972 on: June 02, 2023, 10:50:22 AM »
Could be more ANTIFA members being charged out there but the MSM could be burying the stories like my cat buries a turd.

I don't disagree, radical right wing groups being sporty sells news.

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #973 on: June 02, 2023, 11:30:20 AM »
I don't disagree, radical right wing groups being sporty sells news fits the narrative.

FTFY

HankB

• friend
« Reply #974 on: June 02, 2023, 12:02:20 PM »
Robert E. Lee was indicted but never arrested or tried - much less convicted - of any crime, though he did lose his voting rights and the Union seized his farm, which later became Arlington National Cemetary. And as commander of Confederate forces, he made actual war against the Union for years.

Jefferson Davis was arrested and spent two years in prison awaiting a trial - which never took place - before being released. As President of the secessionist Confederate States of America, he was  the one who authorized shelling Fort Sumter, touching off the "hot" part of the Civil War.

What the January 6 people did was so very much more serious they NEEDED to be punished far more severely - if only because the Proud Boys are so much more of a threat than the Confederacy ever was.

<I saw this elsewhere, but it fits the discussion, so . . . >
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain