Author Topic: Bridge collapse in Baltimore  (Read 846 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Bridge collapse in Baltimore
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2024, 05:41:56 PM »
Me neither but I thought I would ask if you saw any.

Well unless we're off base here either the pilot and/or crew is lying about dropping the anchor before impact and/or the media is lying (shocker) about what they said.

Edit: Maybe the pilot gave the order to drop anchor but the crew didn't actually carry out the order. Maybe that's what's going on here.

Now the anchor story changes to be more in line with what we're seeing

One officer on the Dali also said that before the crash, the engines 'coughed and then stopped.' There was not enough time before the ship hit the bridge to drop anchors prompting the vessel to drift.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13246433/Bodies-recovered-Patapsco-River-Dali-cargo-ship-baltimore-Francis-Scott-key-bridge.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2024, 06:05:05 PM »
Nah, I blew up the original picture on a good monitor.  It's just strange shaped wreckage.  False alarm.

Blown up, I can see the Stbd Windlass under some wreckage, and clearly moved from where it should be on the deck, and I can see the Stbd anchor chain going into the mess of wreckage, but I haven't found either the anchor chain coming out of the wreckage (like the anchor was in the water) or the anchor itself.  Of course if they were dragging it when they hit the wreckage could have snapped the chain.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2024, 06:08:53 PM »
Nah, I blew up the original picture on a good monitor.  It's just strange shaped wreckage.  False alarm.

You had me seeing it . The power of suggestion :rofl:

But it turns out as stated above they didn't drop it.
If that article is correct of course.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2024, 07:18:10 PM »
Hmmm

The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker.

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash.

Following the devastation, she said: 'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem. It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.'

Mitchell explained that refrigerated boxes tripped breakers on board the ship on several occasions, and mechanics had been trying to fix the issue.

She said she didn't know whether the problem had been fixed when the ship set off.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13246079/Dali-cargo-ship-suffered-severe-electrical-problem-docked-Baltimore-days-prior-bridge-collapse-crash-saw-suffer-total-power-failure-loss-engine-failure-port-worker-says.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2024, 08:06:24 PM »
OK sure, but again:

1. Marine diesel engines do not shut off when they lose electrical power.  They have enough battery power to keep running for a bit, and
2. The Dali was required by International Maritime Organization regulations (and US CFRs) to have an Emergency Generator that comes on line automatically within 45 sec and powers, among other things, engines, steering, and navigational equipment.

Those things are required in ship design for exactly this reason, so if you lose an SSDG you can navigate the vessel safely until power is restored.  I'm confident watching that video that the E Gen didn't come on as it was supposed to, but unless the whole thing was just an unmaintained POS (a possible scenario) this doesn't add up.  This is multiple failures in multiple non connected systems, and we still don't have an explanation as to what caused that abrupt turn to starboard right when the power came on the first time.  The internet can *expletive deleted*ck right off with "wind and current".  You don't drift in a straight line while dark ship for a full minute, then as soon as the power comes on have the current swing your bow 15*-20* in 40 secs.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2024, 08:35:43 PM »
I keep being reminded of what happened to the USS South Dakota where the main guns would sometimes trip the circuit breakers and the engineer's solution was to tie them down which was against regs. This caused cascading failures in her electrical systems causing her to go blind and deaf during battle. Lucky for the SD USS Washington was there otherwise thing could have gone very badly for her.

Wonder if the "fix" for the Dali's elec problems while in port caused something similar.
Not to sound discriminatory but read her crew was all Indian and the Indians I've worked with in IT were know to Jerry-rig things and not in a good way.

Just a bit of speculation.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:49:17 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2024, 10:18:40 PM »
OK sure, but again:

1. Marine diesel engines do not shut off when they lose electrical power.  They have enough battery power to keep running for a bit, and
2. The Dali was required by International Maritime Organization regulations (and US CFRs) to have an Emergency Generator that comes on line automatically within 45 sec and powers, among other things, engines, steering, and navigational equipment.

Those things are required in ship design for exactly this reason, so if you lose an SSDG you can navigate the vessel safely until power is restored.  I'm confident watching that video that the E Gen didn't come on as it was supposed to, but unless the whole thing was just an unmaintained POS (a possible scenario) this doesn't add up.  This is multiple failures in multiple non connected systems, and we still don't have an explanation as to what caused that abrupt turn to starboard right when the power came on the first time.  The internet can *expletive deleted*ck right off with "wind and current".  You don't drift in a straight line while dark ship for a full minute, then as soon as the power comes on have the current swing your bow 15*-20* in 40 secs.
What is typical for checking or testing that backup generator?  In my employer's plants that have them, it isn't unusual for them to fail to start or something on the electrical side fail.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2024, 10:23:41 PM »
My theory is cyberattack or sabotage that spoofed the navigation or took over the controls. The "power failures" were deliberate attempts by the crew to reboot systems and take back control of the ship or reset the systems.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2024, 10:28:15 PM »
So is it past too soon yet? 

So anyone over that way considered that they now have a real boating accident to blame for missing guns?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2024, 10:34:57 PM »
Interesting data point:

After posting that I tried to think of other ports in the US that both serve deep water large shipping, have to go under a bridge to get there, and have a relatively new bridge.  New York and SF are obviously old bridges, as is the Delaware Memorial Bridge (over the Delaware River).

Thanks for reminding me of my age.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge isn't all that much older. It was ONE bridge when I was on active duty and stationed at Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland. The second, parallel bridge was either in construction when I was stationed there (mid-1960s) or was constructed after I had returned from Vietnam in 1968.

Update: According the Wikipedia, the original span (now the eastbound side) was completed in 1951. The westbound span was completed in 1968.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2024, 11:51:15 PM »
Found on X:

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #86 on: Today at 07:18:59 AM »
Found on X:

NO NO NO! FALSE FLAG! IT WAS ALIENS! AND NORKS! AND ISLAMOJIHADIS! SHIPS CAN'T BEND STEEL! THE BRIDGE WAS PULLED! IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB! TRUMP!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #87 on: Today at 07:28:59 AM »
What is typical for checking or testing that backup generator?  In my employer's plants that have them, it isn't unusual for them to fail to start or something on the electrical side fail.

Regulatory requirement is that the E-gen is started and run once a week, and you must do a full test, where you kill power to the E Switchboard the E. generator starts and takes the load automatically in under 45 sec, once a month.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #88 on: Today at 08:04:37 AM »
So is it past too soon yet? 

So anyone over that way considered that they now have a real boating accident to blame for missing guns?

Well, too soon or not, that's a poor excuse when the boast didn't sink with your guns in the accident.  And the water is shallow so recovery of the "evidence" is easy.  My tragic boating accidents always occur near the Marianas or Aleutian trenches.  Hey, deep, deep, deep water.  We're talkin' 25,000 to 33,000 feet, more or less.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:16:58 AM by 230RN »