Author Topic: How [not] to Evacuate an Aircraft  (Read 148 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
How [not] to Evacuate an Aircraft
« on: July 19, 2024, 07:50:49 AM »
This happened a few days ago in San Francisco. Apparently somebody's power brick caught fire. Not confirmed, but one of the stories I read said that a passenger opened the emergency exit to toss the battery. Anyway, makes you not want to fly commercial.

https://youtu.be/xEUtmS61Obw
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
Re: How [not] to Evacuate an Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 10:05:33 AM »
The attendant was standing at an open door and telling them to go the other way, so maybe they were waiting for stairs to be moved to one of the other exits?  Can't think of any other reason they would just mill about for over a minute. I have no idea if the inflatable slides are automatic or not.

By the way, if a fire is enough to evacuate the plane, opening a door to throw it out sounds reasonable to me.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 10:55:05 AM »
As it happens, I'm flying American Airlines to Portland next week.  This sure inspires confidence.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 11:01:02 AM »
but one of the stories I read said that a passenger opened the emergency exit to toss the battery.

I thought the doors opened themselves on a Boeing
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • We NEED a President with his good luck!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 08:31:21 PM »
^ LOL 

I wish I had your sensa yuma.
Sooner or later, law output will become greater than Court input.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 10:47:45 PM »
If there was a fire building in the plane, they better hope someone is at the door shoving people out.  Everyone is piled up and not moving.  I'd at least want to grab my book. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge