Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 130665 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1925 on: January 09, 2023, 08:29:30 AM »
Those dates sound far more plausible than what was being reported by the San Isabel news.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1926 on: January 09, 2023, 08:32:00 AM »

Assuming the Robot Army doesn't take over Starbase first
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1927 on: January 09, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
Virgin Orbit you're up!

Scheduled for Jan 9, 2023
In our fifth commercial launch, Virgin Orbit is pleased to provide livestream coverage of pre-flight operations and launch commentary throughout the day. Join us starting at 21:15 UTC / 1:15pm PT / 4:15pm ET to follow along with our hosts, mission control, and the Virgin Orbit team. Learn more about our Start Me Up mission by visiting: https://virginorbit.com/start-me-up/

Start Me Up Livestream | Virgin Orbit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Co18HcyqHk
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1928 on: January 09, 2023, 11:08:47 AM »
Looking at the live feed they may be going for a full stack today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1929 on: January 09, 2023, 11:11:23 AM »
The tower wants to give S24 a hug
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1930 on: January 09, 2023, 03:09:55 PM »
Falcon Heavy rolling out to the pad at the Cape.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1931 on: January 09, 2023, 07:18:37 PM »
Virgin Orbit you're up!

Start Me Up Livestream | Virgin Orbit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Co18HcyqHk

Failed to reach orbit. No details yet
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1932 on: January 09, 2023, 07:22:46 PM »
Scheduled to go live 23:10

Scheduled for Jan 9, 2023
SpaceX is launching a Falcon 9 carrying 40 OneWeb satellites. The launch will occur from CCSFS SLC-40 headed to a polar low Earth orbit. The first stage is B1076-2, which will attempt a landing at Landing Zone 1.

RTLS: SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches OneWeb Flight 16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvQYm1xLpOg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1933 on: January 16, 2023, 12:45:34 PM »
Jaw dropping views.
Be sitting down starting at 1:27:02 WOW!

FALCON HEAVY - SpaceX Launches USSF-67
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCitZJD_nn4

Another link for those want to cut to the chase. Be sitting down starting at 1:27:02
https://youtu.be/PCitZJD_nn4?t=5054
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1934 on: January 16, 2023, 03:04:33 PM »
Watched that NASASpaceflight replay last night.  That was some incredible video indeed at the 1:27:02 mark.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1935 on: January 16, 2023, 04:33:34 PM »
Great video.  Definitely worth seeing. 

I know I have seen the boosters use a land based landing pad, but it never clicked that they had stopped using barges. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1936 on: January 16, 2023, 04:40:39 PM »
Great video.  Definitely worth seeing. 

I know I have seen the boosters use a land based landing pad, but it never clicked that they had stopped using barges.

They still use the barges. It depends on the launch direction, fuel use, etc.. on whether they land on a barge or do a return to base.
Fuel use is the big factor because a return to base requires a long burn right after separation long enough to cancel out their horizontal motion and then to get them headed back towards base. A barge landing doesn't require this burn. Some launches they will have enough fuel left to allow a return to base others not.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 04:52:45 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1937 on: January 16, 2023, 04:47:54 PM »
One other question:  Is this the same Heavy that was crashing a year or two ago?  Is that section going to do re-entry at some point?

That video probably explained it all, but I skipped to the launch.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1938 on: January 16, 2023, 05:01:19 PM »
One other question:  Is this the same Heavy that was crashing a year or two ago?  Is that section going to do re-entry at some point?

That video probably explained it all, but I skipped to the launch.

Yep, the center booster comes back down but unlike the Chinese where they just let it fall wherever (Chinese Booster Bingo) they aim for a spot in the ocean for that.

They have yet to land the center booster of a heavy. They tried a couple of times but failed, the other heavy launches, including this one, they didn't even try and the center section was expended due to it not having enough fuel left for a landing and in some cases too far down range to try. A few F9 have been expended for this same reason. Landings require fuel and some launches depending on payload and orbit requirements don't leave enough to try.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 09:27:41 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1939 on: January 16, 2023, 05:05:49 PM »
Thanks.   =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1940 on: January 17, 2023, 09:21:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSi0iBTJlk4

Alternative view of the launch from the beach.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1941 on: January 17, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
They have yet to land the center booster of a heavy.

Slight correction.  They have landed one center booster of a heavy, but it was very far downrange and during the return journey to port it fell off the recovery ship.

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/spacex-falcon-heavy-core-booster-falls/

It fell off because the "octaweb" or base of the rocket for a Heavy center core is slightly different than a normal F9 booster, and the "octagrabber" robot they have on the droneship to secure the booster could not at the time grasp a FH center core the same way as it does an F9.  I believe that since then they have modified the octagrabber design so it can secure Heavy center cores as well as standard F9 cores.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1942 on: January 17, 2023, 10:11:19 AM »
Slight correction.  They have landed one center booster of a heavy, but it was very far downrange and during the return journey to port it fell off the recovery ship.

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/spacex-falcon-heavy-core-booster-falls/

It fell off because the "octaweb" or base of the rocket for a Heavy center core is slightly different than a normal F9 booster, and the "octagrabber" robot they have on the droneship to secure the booster could not at the time grasp a FH center core the same way as it does an F9.  I believe that since then they have modified the octagrabber design so it can secure Heavy center cores as well as standard F9 cores.

I got impression somewhere along the line that was a regular F9 booster that fell overboard. I stand corrected.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1943 on: January 18, 2023, 07:13:51 AM »
Beautiful sunrise at The Cape

Live now

SpaceX is launching a Falcon 9 carrying the GPS-III-SV06 navigation satellite for the US Space Force. The launch will occur from CCSFS SLC-40 headed to a medium Earth orbit. The first stage is B1077-2, which will attempt a landing on A Shortfall of Gravitas.

LAUNCH: SpaceX Falcon 9 GPS-III-SV06 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hR3qASbKIw
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1944 on: January 18, 2023, 07:39:07 AM »

Didn't think of this until now.

The operation was a success but the patient died :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1945 on: January 19, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »
Making it look easy AGAIN

Starlink Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNAebzSvWt4
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1946 on: January 23, 2023, 10:21:33 AM »
Live at time of posting

SpaceX Performs Starship Wet Dress Rehearsal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9zI9o3cx48
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1947 on: January 23, 2023, 03:46:13 PM »
Frosty Starship and booster
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1948 on: January 23, 2023, 04:32:42 PM »
Fully fueled Starship and booster sitting on the OLM
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1949 on: January 23, 2023, 05:16:03 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes