Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 130912 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2000 on: March 07, 2023, 10:09:13 AM »
Japan seems to have the worse luck with rockets

Japan’s H3 rocket launch fails after second stage malfunction
https://spacenews.com/japans-h3-rocket-launch-fails-after-second-stage-malfunction/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2001 on: March 07, 2023, 10:32:19 AM »
When thinking about how far SpaceX's lead is with Starlink I find it useful to visualize what the constellation looks like.

https://satellitemap.space/

I'm not sure Amazon/BO can afford that many satellites.  Elon got a bunch of them up there by ride shareing with paying customers, and that's with Falcon 9's proven reusability keeping the cost down.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2002 on: March 08, 2023, 11:35:24 AM »
When thinking about how far SpaceX's lead is with Starlink I find it useful to visualize what the constellation looks like.

I'm not sure Amazon/BO can afford that many satellites.  Elon got a bunch of them up there by ride shareing with paying customers, and that's with Falcon 9's proven reusability keeping the cost down.

Like how you can see strings of Starlinks that haven't spread out yet.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2003 on: March 08, 2023, 11:37:37 AM »
Will be the first launch of a 3D printed rocket to space.

Terran 1 is launching the Good Luck, Have Fun mission, the first orbital launch attempt from Relativity Space. Liftoff is scheduled for a window from 1 to 4 PM EST (18:00 to 21:00 UTC) from LC-16, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_qTx6KUYXw

Watch Relativity Space launch Terran 1, world's 1st 3D-printed rocket, on debut flight today
https://www.space.com/relativity-space-terran-1-debut-launch-webcast
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2004 on: March 08, 2023, 11:37:51 AM »
Relativity Space is attempting the launch of the Terran 1 vehicle today.  Livestream starts in 25 minutes as of this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAlOGZM32U

Notables of this rocket include it being the first 3D printed rocket to attempt to reach space, and also if successful will be the first methane rocket engine to achieve orbit.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2005 on: March 08, 2023, 11:38:16 AM »
Wow, beat me by seconds, WLJ.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2006 on: March 08, 2023, 11:39:51 AM »
Wow, beat me by seconds, WLJ.

But I forgot to note the methane engine aspect of it
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2007 on: March 08, 2023, 11:40:56 AM »
But I forgot to note the methane engine aspect of it

So they are powering it with evil, globular warmulating producing cow farts?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2008 on: March 08, 2023, 11:53:12 AM »
I am interested to see if it survives Max Q.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2009 on: March 08, 2023, 12:25:54 PM »
As per what seems to be the norm nowadays they're using overly excited teenage or near teenage girls as commentators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAlOGZM32U
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2010 on: March 08, 2023, 12:29:39 PM »
Bet there will be a weather scrub, looks windy.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2011 on: March 08, 2023, 12:34:56 PM »
Wow, look fresh out of high school

- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2012 on: March 08, 2023, 12:47:39 PM »
Much like SpaceX, they're using program leads as commentators for their launches.

Doesn't hurt to use attractive ones.

These are some smart ladies.
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2013 on: March 08, 2023, 12:49:26 PM »
Much like SpaceX, they're using program leads as commentators for their launches.

Doesn't hurt to use attractive ones.

These are some smart ladies.

And making me feel old

Wondering if the one on the left is single?  =D
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2014 on: March 08, 2023, 01:18:02 PM »
The older you get, the younger they look.    =D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2015 on: March 08, 2023, 02:26:33 PM »
Go poll is go
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2016 on: March 08, 2023, 02:41:14 PM »
Hold at 1:09 for an issue.  May just be being cautious.  Waiting for an update.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2017 on: March 08, 2023, 02:44:39 PM »
Hold at 1:09 for an issue.  May just be being cautious.  Waiting for an update.

Think just being cautious, last hold they could do without a scrub. From the sound of it probably just using it for extra checks.

Edit: Abort. Looking to see if they can  recycle
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2018 on: March 08, 2023, 02:46:02 PM »
Extending the hold due to an automated abort.  Assessing recycle options. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2019 on: March 08, 2023, 02:59:50 PM »
Recycling

15:45 target time for launch
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2020 on: March 08, 2023, 03:07:05 PM »

Going to the site just now, it shows 397 sats have been launched since the last time I was there, in late JAN. If that's consistent throughout the year, that's a lot of little birdies going into orbit.

What's irritating is that while the website shows between 9-11 sats always in range from my house, the Starlink site still has me as "expanding in 2023". In fact I'm in this little bubble of "expanding" surrounded by "available now". It's rather frustrating.

Also, tangent: Has anyone used the Starlink app and the "check antenna placement" or whatever it's called function? It is always showing some small percentage of obstructions for me, even when I walk out to the middle of my pasture to check it. I'm wondering if the app is glitchy. Or maybe it's part of me being in the "expanding" bubble if the app is advanced enough to consider not just sky, but sats. I'd really like to up my bandwidth when Starlink gives me the thumbs up, but on the other hand, I rather have my current ~16mbps with no interruptions, than 200mbps Starlink with a dozen 5 second interruptions every hour.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2021 on: March 08, 2023, 03:23:15 PM »
Scrub  =(
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2022 on: March 08, 2023, 03:26:40 PM »
Scrub  =(

That explains why the countdown clock went away a few minutes ago.  I had the audio muted because of the silly musical interlude.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2023 on: March 08, 2023, 03:28:35 PM »
That explains why the countdown clock went away a few minutes ago.  I had the audio muted because of the silly musical interlude.

I was watching NSF's feed.
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2024 on: March 08, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »

Also, tangent: Has anyone used the Starlink app and the "check antenna placement" or whatever it's called function? It is always showing some small percentage of obstructions for me, even when I walk out to the middle of my pasture to check it. I'm wondering if the app is glitchy. Or maybe it's part of me being in the "expanding" bubble if the app is advanced enough to consider not just sky, but sats. I'd really like to up my bandwidth when Starlink gives me the thumbs up, but on the other hand, I rather have my current ~16mbps with no interruptions, than 200mbps Starlink with a dozen 5 second interruptions every hour.

I have Starlink.

Yes, there is always some degree of sky obstruction.  Right now for me, it's a tree on the east side of my property.   My dish is 20 feet off the ground and above my roof, but I have a 40 foot tall pine tree to the east of it, rooted about 30-40 feet away.  North/South there's no obstruction and far to the west there's no obstruction, but that tree blocks a good ~30 degree angle directly east.  I don't think you have unobstructed sky horizon to horizon unless you live on top of a mountain or in the middle of the Great Plains.  I suspect it has something to do with handoff of your workload from one satellite to the next as they pass overhead, and the degree of time you're expected to reuse the same satellite before fixing on the next.  As the constellation grows, that time window may shrink and allow for narrower fields of view and more frequent bounding to the next favorable satellite.
--Lysander Spooner