Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 129551 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2100 on: April 05, 2023, 08:38:00 AM »
Dammit Carl! you had one job!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2101 on: April 05, 2023, 09:00:54 AM »
Hovered low over the stand for a bit while someone removed the cable. Now going back up.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2102 on: April 05, 2023, 09:07:07 AM »
I can't wait for them to yeet that thing into orbit.  No matter what happens it should be a good show.

One of the things I like about watching SpaceX launches is their willingness to just send it.  If NASA blew up a rocket trying to launch it, there would be despair in the launch center, people's careers would be over, and pontificating representatives on TV.  SpaceX augers a Starship into the ground and they're like "We got pretty good data out of that.  NEXT!"

Somewhere along the path, NASA, our government and the general masses adopted the notion that if a "test" isn't 100% successful, it is an abject failure.

So long as you learn from it and fix the problems for the next "test" it is still progress.
Imagine the progress we would have made if we insisted on a guaranteed 100% successful outcome for all scientific endeavors before test were allowed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2103 on: April 05, 2023, 09:17:46 AM »
Somewhere along the path, NASA, our government and the general masses adopted the notion that if a "test" isn't 100% successful, it is an abject failure.

So long as you learn from it and fix the problems for the next "test" it is still progress.
Imagine the progress we would have made if we insisted on a guaranteed 100% successful outcome for all scientific endeavors before test were allowed.

If they don't nuke the launch area with this thing I would count that as a success in of itself.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2104 on: April 05, 2023, 09:19:37 AM »
That's a neat shot of the underside of Starship.  It really contrasts the difference in standard versus vacuum Raptor engines.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2105 on: April 05, 2023, 09:27:29 AM »
Everything NASA does is bloody expensive, single-use, and not easily replaced so they can't do very many large-scale tests prior to going live.  Because of this, catastrophic failure can easily mean the loss of a whole project.  Add to that the fact that NASA has had high-profile failures that resulted in fatalities.

SpaceX has taken the approach of expecting early failures and from the beginning planning on making launches cheap and common enough that those lessons can actually be applied.  Yeah, they blew up some early Starship prototypes and they will probably blow up some more of them.  They also crashed an awful lot of Falcon boosters before landing any, but with a couple hundred Falcon 9/Heavy launches under their belt they've not only fixed problems in previous versions but they've built up significant confidence in their customer base.  Their acceptance of that risk gives them the freedom to iterate on designs until they consistently work.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2106 on: April 05, 2023, 09:30:56 AM »
That's a neat shot of the underside of Starship.  It really contrasts the difference in standard versus vacuum Raptor engines.

Currently has 6 engine, 3 sea level, 3 vacuum. Elon has said the next model will have 9 for a total of 42 engines. Yes 42.

On December 17th, the CEO revealed the plans, confirming a tweet published three months prior stating that Starship was “begging for an extra 3 engines.” Musk was likely referring to the fact that a 9-engine Starship – combined with upcoming 33-engine Super Heavy boosters – would create a rocket with 42 engines, a number made famous as “the answer to the ultimate question of life [and everything]” in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – both of which the CEO vocally enjoys. As ever, it’s thus almost impossible to tell jokes from serious, consequential plans – as is the case with Starship.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-upgrade-plans-elon-musk-2021/

That was back in 2021. Believe he has stated it will have 9 since.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2107 on: April 05, 2023, 09:51:14 AM »
Looking at that thing on my 2nd monitor and thinking are they crazy?

Saturn V - 7.7 million pounds of thrust
SLS - 8.8
N1 - 10 (4 launches but never made it to orbit before going KABOOM!)
Long March 9 - 13 (design still in a bit of flux)
Starship - 16.7
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 01:27:00 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2108 on: April 05, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »
I'm still in shock from watching SLS going up off the pad. This thing will be nearly 2x that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2109 on: April 05, 2023, 10:20:38 AM »

Fully expect articles and YT videos to pop up screaming "This is the end of SpaceX" if there is even one issue.
Meanwhile S8 or 9 or 10 will be rolling to the OLM. Assuming the OLM is still there of course.  :P If not add a couple of months.

Wonder if it does get to orbit Jeff will tweet another "Welcome to the club" tweet.   ;/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2110 on: April 05, 2023, 11:53:54 AM »
Appears to be having mating issues at a communication (according to NSF) connection. They pulled S24 back up a bit and are now holding.
Drone seems to be checking it out.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2111 on: April 05, 2023, 12:12:12 PM »
Going back down
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2112 on: April 05, 2023, 12:24:21 PM »
Still having trouble getting things lined up.

Bet Elon is already typing up a how to fix on the next one memo.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2113 on: April 05, 2023, 01:00:49 PM »
Appears to be stacked now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WindBreaker

• AKA: "Sir Fartsalot"
« Reply #2114 on: April 05, 2023, 01:49:40 PM »
Still not a FAA Lic. but based on the updated road closer notice, 10th, 11th, 12th looks like a Wet Dress, and attempted launch most likely the week of the 17th. (best guess) SpaceX has the amphitheater on South Padre Island reserved for that time frame.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2115 on: April 05, 2023, 01:57:10 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2116 on: April 05, 2023, 05:07:33 PM »
FAA advisories have been announced for 4-10-23 to 4-12-23 and approval for a total of 5 StarShip Launches this year, through the end of Dec. Maritime exclusion zone have been announced for the same days from 07:45CST (local time zone) until 12:30CST, for each of those days, South and East of the launch area in, far south Texas. A soft splash down in the Gulf is slated for the Booster, and Starship will do the same off the coast of Hawai'i after half an orbit.  This will be the first launch of the world's largest rocket, capable of transporting as many as 36 passengers to Mars (100 at at time to the Moon) and lifting as much as 150 TONS (330,000 pounds) each flight with the Cargo version. You will be able to watch the historic flight in many ways, please feel free to join me on the YouTube Live Stream by "The Launch Pad" at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIKw8mvJi-I

I'm curious whether you are affiliated with The Launch Pad, or are just a member and/or subscribed?  If you are one of the latter, how does that site compare to NasaSpaceFlight in your opinion?  Thanks in advance for any info you provide.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2117 on: April 06, 2023, 04:13:43 PM »
On Thursday, SpaceX did confirm a forward plan. There will be another WDR in the mix, an opportunity set to be taken next week as the launch date target settles on a window the week after. This would come before the FTS arming.

Currently, the well-publicized April 10 NET (No Earlier Than) target had been ruled out by the cancellation of local road and beach closures, with placeholders for the following two days now likely to be related to the upcoming WDR.

The launch attempt would then follow a week later, around NET April 17, based on SpaceX’s updated info.

Starship into final preps for launch targeting second half of April
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2023/04/starship-targeting-h2-april/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2118 on: April 06, 2023, 08:28:15 PM »
NSF: SpaceX confirm WDR next week

WDR = Wet Dress Rehearsal
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2119 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:26 PM »
Now showing the 19th for the launch date.
Just one day short of Elon's fav date.
My guess is there will be a one day delay.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2120 on: April 10, 2023, 08:58:10 PM »
Elon must be getting things together. I just got my email telling me that my 9 months of waiting are over and my starlink is now available.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2121 on: April 11, 2023, 09:21:16 AM »
More on VO

Virgin Orbit is proposing a rapid sale of the company or its assets in bankruptcy, hoping to conclude the process before the end of May.

In a motion filed with federal bankruptcy court in Delaware April 7, Virgin Orbit provided a schedule for an “expedited” sale of the launch company through a bidding process that would solicit bids in early May, concluding with an auction on May 18.

Virgin Orbit seeking expedited bankruptcy sale
https://spacenews.com/virgin-orbit-seeking-expedited-bankruptcy-sale/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2122 on: April 11, 2023, 06:35:35 PM »
Now showing the 19th for the launch date.
Just one day short of Elon's fav date.
My guess is there will be a one day delay.

Back to saying the 17th
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2123 on: April 11, 2023, 08:33:21 PM »
Flight plan
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2124 on: April 11, 2023, 08:34:25 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes