Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 129532 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2125 on: April 11, 2023, 08:40:04 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2126 on: April 11, 2023, 08:40:36 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2127 on: April 11, 2023, 08:41:05 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2128 on: April 11, 2023, 10:06:24 PM »
"Excitement guaranteed" would be an excellent name for a band.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2129 on: April 12, 2023, 07:25:10 AM »
They destacked.B7 & S24 last night for finally checks of S24's engines, install of the FTS etc...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 07:59:20 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2130 on: April 12, 2023, 08:06:39 AM »
Install/arming of the FTS means

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2131 on: April 13, 2023, 07:02:03 AM »
Launch scheduled for 08:15

LIVE! Ariane 5 To Launch JUICE Spacecraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHiao7_hYA

« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 08:06:22 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2132 on: April 13, 2023, 07:33:32 AM »
Relativity not letting their first launch's failure to a reach obit stop them and they're going straight to their much larger Terran R design with a reusable 1st stage ala Falcon 9

Terran 1 - 898kg payload to LEO
Terran R - 23,500kg (reusable 1 stage) 33,500kg (expended 1st stage) to LEO

For comparison F9 17,200kg and 22,600kg respectively to LEO (wiki)

Looks like they want to fit in the ground between F9 and FH (64,000kg to LEO)

Oh, and they think they've narrowed down T1's 2nd stage's failure to an oxygen pump

Relativity shelves Terran 1 after one launch, redesigns Terran R
https://spacenews.com/relativity-shelves-terran-1-after-one-launch-redesigns-terran-r/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 08:24:38 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2133 on: April 13, 2023, 08:06:41 AM »
Launch scheduled for 08:15

LIVE! Ariane 5 To Launch JUICE Spacecraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHiao7_hYA

Weather scrub
Lightning risk
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2134 on: April 13, 2023, 10:44:48 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2135 on: April 13, 2023, 07:30:18 PM »
The FAA has, figuratively speaking, shot down any plans SpaceX and Musk may have had to fly Starship this month.  The FAA announced today that they have yet to complete their environmental assessment that was started in November 2020.  They have stated it will be done by May 31.  No license to fly Starship will be issued before the assessment is finished.
We've seen this foot dragging by the FAA before with regard to SpaceX operations in Texas.  It still makes me wonder if they ever intended to grant a license in the first place, given the Biden administration's antipathy toward Musk.

Edited to add link to the story from Investor's Business Daily, dated today at 1:34 PM.

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/spacex-faa-blows-out-candle-on-company-starship/

Edited to add that I cannot find confirmation of this anywhere else.  Hopefully it's just IBD getting it wrong with old news.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 08:29:17 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2136 on: April 14, 2023, 07:32:09 AM »
SpaceX's launch this morning weather scrubbed

Waiting on the JUICE mission launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvHcGmQPcsI
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2137 on: April 14, 2023, 08:08:55 AM »
The FAA has, figuratively speaking, shot down any plans SpaceX and Musk may have had to fly Starship this month.  The FAA announced today that they have yet to complete their environmental assessment that was started in November 2020.  They have stated it will be done by May 31.  No license to fly Starship will be issued before the assessment is finished.
We've seen this foot dragging by the FAA before with regard to SpaceX operations in Texas.  It still makes me wonder if they ever intended to grant a license in the first place, given the Biden administration's antipathy toward Musk.

Edited to add link to the story from Investor's Business Daily, dated today at 1:34 PM.

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/spacex-faa-blows-out-candle-on-company-starship/

Edited to add that I cannot find confirmation of this anywhere else.  Hopefully it's just IBD getting it wrong with old news.

Just did a search and the latest info I could find is that they're still going back and forth with the FAA right now.

Schedule for SpaceX’s Starship test flight hinges on FAA regulatory approval
https://spaceflightnow.com/2023/04/13/schedule-for-spacexs-starship-test-flight-hinges-on-faa-regulatory-approval/

FAA director is probably still negotiating color of his new Tesla
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2138 on: April 14, 2023, 08:25:03 AM »
So far so good on JUICE
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2139 on: April 14, 2023, 01:07:39 PM »
Just did a search and the latest info I could find is that they're still going back and forth with the FAA right now.

Schedule for SpaceX’s Starship test flight hinges on FAA regulatory approval
https://spaceflightnow.com/2023/04/13/schedule-for-spacexs-starship-test-flight-hinges-on-faa-regulatory-approval/

FAA director is probably still negotiating color of his new Tesla

IBD has retracted that story.

A story published earlier Thursday incorrectly reported that the Federal Aviation Administration was holding off approval for launch of SpaceX's Starship on its maiden flight.

The story incorrectly stated that the FAA had yet to complete an environmental review. In fact, that review was conducted in 2022.

Reports currently say that SpaceX hopes to launch Starship in coming days, perhaps as early as April 17.

Investor's Business Daily regrets the error.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2140 on: April 14, 2023, 05:39:19 PM »
IBD has retracted that story.

That's a relief.  Given their history, it's certainly plausible that the FAA would mess with SpaceX, but it is good to see that IBD got it wrong.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2141 on: April 14, 2023, 06:15:50 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2142 on: April 14, 2023, 06:30:06 PM »
That is good news.  I'll be watching.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2143 on: April 14, 2023, 06:30:32 PM »
In the  immortal words of Alan Shepard

LIGHT THIS CANDLE!
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2144 on: April 15, 2023, 06:38:22 AM »
Making it look easy again

Transporter-7 Mission +
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_OEbfFvdeE
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2145 on: April 15, 2023, 09:19:01 AM »
AA speculating the issue of the launch license at the last minute on a Friday was to not give the environmentists time to react and find a judge to block the launch and perhaps to keep crowds down.

FINALLY!! But why are the FAA and SpaceX only giving 3 days notice? Are crowds a problem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDDaABwykU
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2146 on: April 15, 2023, 03:55:24 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2147 on: April 15, 2023, 04:08:59 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/12n3ug3/a_significant_mishap_of_some_sort_sparks_fell/

Evidently some elevator counterweight, or possibly the counterweight for the "chopsticks." fell last night.  Unknown if this will have impact on the launch schedule.
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2148 on: April 15, 2023, 04:12:08 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/12n3ug3/a_significant_mishap_of_some_sort_sparks_fell/

Evidently some elevator counterweight, or possibly the counterweight for the "chopsticks." fell last night.  Unknown if this will have impact on the launch schedule.

Don't know what that was but they're stacking right now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2149 on: April 15, 2023, 04:24:51 PM »
Toolbox maybe?
- Calvin and Hobbes