Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 132389 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2475 on: June 14, 2023, 01:34:34 AM »
I may be late to the party but I just saw my first starlink satellite train tonight. And I'm mostly okay and the meds seem fine but... The ones in charge ought to publicize this stuff. Because some unbalanced wacko is going to see that and figure that the aliens are here, the end is nigh, time to go bang the neighbor and then settle some old scores.  [tinfoil] [popcorn] [ar15]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2476 on: June 14, 2023, 05:10:45 PM »
Live at time of posting

SpaceX Starship 25 Engine Testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRFGRGRU7w
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2477 on: June 17, 2023, 08:21:27 AM »
Marcus House with his weekly update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIb2lHjHuVA

Of note
Elon time
Water deluge system details
Build site upgrades
B12 being assembled
S28
Moon lander mock up?
ISS news
The week's launches rundown including SX's F9 200th landing
Some JWST news
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2478 on: June 17, 2023, 08:56:43 AM »
NSF updates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzDBRNOeAow

Of note
Stokes making progress on a fully reusable rocket
After the sell of Virgin Orbit assets news including Cosmic Girl (They're going to change her name   =()
ULA Vulcan news, could be more delays. Hint, not the BE-4s.
Cats!
Launches of the week
200th F9 landing!
BepiColombo Mercury flybys
Upcoming launches

« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 11:51:30 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2479 on: June 18, 2023, 04:44:52 PM »
Falcon 9 is launching the Satria mission with the Indonesian Ka-band high throughput communications satellite. The beginning of 3 1/2 hour launch window opens at 5:20PM EDT from SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida. The first stage, B1067, is flying for the 12th time and will attempt to land on A Shortfall of Gravitas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtMOvm6Ivk8
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2480 on: June 21, 2023, 02:54:55 PM »
Live at time of posting

SpaceX Starship 25 Testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hip5Jih3aOA
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2481 on: June 22, 2023, 08:56:54 AM »
Delta IV Heavy launch last night

Delta IV Heavy Launched the NROL-68 for the National Reconnaissance Office
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxlRPt5uaW4
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2482 on: June 22, 2023, 09:13:14 AM »
Only one more Delta IV planned, right?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2483 on: June 22, 2023, 09:15:42 AM »
Only one more Delta IV planned, right?

Yep, one more and that's the end of the line for the DIVH.
Scheduled for Q1 2024
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2484 on: June 22, 2023, 09:27:04 AM »
More Starlink last night as well.
Making it look easy, again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JQV1czLsA
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2485 on: June 22, 2023, 09:31:48 AM »
Interesting little piece of info on the the DIVH wiki page

Missions thirteen through sixteen were announced by the National Reconnaissance Office.[22] For the final four missions (13-16) including modifications, ULA was awarded US$2.2 billion, or US$440 million per launch.[23] This can be compared with the Falcon Heavy launch price of $90M to $150M. As of June 2023, only one remain before ULA retires the Delta IV Heavy.[24]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_IV_Heavy

Pretty rocket but at 3x to 4.8x the cost per launch compared to FH plus the upcoming Vulcun you can see why they're being retired.
Not sure why the wide range of prices for FH but even the highest is far cheaper
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2486 on: June 22, 2023, 09:35:44 AM »
Not sure why the wide range of prices for FH but even the highest is far cheaper
I'm guessing mostly based on how many of the boosters/core can be recovered, but custom fairing is likely to play into it too.  A fully expended Falcon Heavy is going to run a lot more than one they are able to plan to recover everything from.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2487 on: June 22, 2023, 09:36:32 AM »
I'm guessing mostly based on how many of the boosters/core can be recovered, but custom fairing is likely to play into it too.  A fully expended Falcon Heavy is going to run a lot more than one they are able to plan to recover everything from.

Ah! Didn't think of that
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2488 on: June 22, 2023, 09:36:55 AM »
I'd bet the wide range in Falcon Heavy pricing is due to whether the center booster is recovered or not.  Some launches to higher orbit require expending the center booster rather than recovering it.

Edit:  "Missed it by that much."  Cordex beat me to it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2489 on: June 22, 2023, 10:24:14 AM »
Not only much cheaper but more capable

Numbers from wiki

LEO
DIVH - 63,470lbs
FH - 120,000/140,000lbs (Reuse/Fully expended)

GTO
DIVH - 31,350lbs
FH - 16,000*/59,000lbs

* number seems off to me.
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2490 on: June 22, 2023, 05:25:53 PM »

GTO
DIVH - 31,350lbs
FH - 16,000*/59,000lbs

* number seems off to me.

To recover the boosters, they have to have MECO early enough that the booster doesn't burn up on re-entry.  There are basically 3 flight profiles for FH:
1. Expended.  Side cores burn to completion and fall to the ocean.  Center core burns to completion and falls in the ocean.  This gives the greatest reserve to the 2nd stage to push a heavy payload.
2. Downrange booster recovery, center core expended.  Side cores cut out with reserve to be recovered on drone ships.  Center core burns to completion.  Less boost to the 2nd stage.
3. RTLS booster recovery, center core downrange recovery.  Side cores reserve even more fuel to cancel out horizontal momentum and return to launch site.  Center core reserves fuel to land.  Least boost to 2nd stage, it's got a lot of work to do and a heavy payload to do it to.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2491 on: June 23, 2023, 10:01:13 AM »
SpaceX is targeting Friday, June 23 at 11:35 a.m. ET (15:35 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of 56 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. If needed, backup opportunities are available on Saturday, June 24 at 9:05 a.m. ET (13:05 UTC) and 10:46 a.m. ET (14:46 UTC).

The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched CRS-24, Eutelsat HOTBIRD 13F, OneWeb 1, SES-18 and SES-19, and three Starlink missions. Following stage separation, the first stage will land on the Just Read the Instructions droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwAP91Y7Cs
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2492 on: June 23, 2023, 10:37:00 AM »
I saw a Starlink array last night about 9:45PM Central. I'm in SE WI. It's like living in the future . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2493 on: June 25, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
Keep having click bait YT videos pop up that from the titles say to show a LIVE SpaceX launch. Check the schedule and none listed. Seeing more and more crap like this on YT.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2494 on: June 25, 2023, 02:10:10 PM »
Switching over to "Hot Staging" for Starship. That's where the 2nd stage engines fire while the 2nd is still attached to the 1st. Musk says this will allow more than a 10% increase in payload but will require a redesign of the upper part of the 1st to have vents and shielding.

He also notes they have made over a thousand changes to the vehicle

SpaceX changing Starship stage separation ahead of next launch
https://spacenews.com/spacex-changing-starship-stage-separation-ahead-of-next-launch/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2495 on: June 26, 2023, 11:55:42 AM »
Interesting video
I want to try that slide LOL

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to stand next to a partially fueled Saturn 5 rocket, just hours before the historic Apollo 11 launch, with the looming threat of a catastrophic explosion? Or more importantly, how a group of brave individuals could survive such an ordeal? In this video I will take you inside the abandoned 1960s bunker known as the rubber room, and reveal the incredible measures taken to protect the Apollo crew in the event of a disaster.

NASA’s Hidden Underground Bunker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zdHsb2pWU
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2496 on: June 26, 2023, 06:46:42 PM »
Zack Golden
@CSI_Starbase
This morning SpaceX completed the concrete foundation under the Orbital Launch Mount.

Over a period of 10.5 hours, 132 loads of concrete were delivered to the Launch Complex. This is equivalent to almost exactly 1,000 cubic meters.

This will need a few days to cure before the next steps can begin.
https://twitter.com/CSI_Starbase/status/1673350738553221123
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2497 on: June 26, 2023, 07:11:53 PM »
Live at time of posting

SpaceX Ship 25 Static Fire Testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-TSySI6DY
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2498 on: June 29, 2023, 07:37:23 AM »
Suppose t to go live at 10:00 EST

The Galactic 01 mission (formerly known as Unity 23) will be Virgin Galactic's fifth crewed spaceflight and SpaceShipTwo's first commercial mission. It is a research mission for the Italian Air Force. The crew will consist of pilots Frederick Sturckow and Michael Masucci as well as crewmembers Beth Moses, Walter Villadei, Angelo Landolfi, and Pantaleone Carlucci. 

Virgin Galactic 01 mission - First Commercial Crew Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9IbRyS_aE
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2499 on: June 29, 2023, 08:23:07 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes