Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 126778 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2021, 08:47:05 AM »
Still get FAA oversight because they are a US company.

Oil rig, international waters, FAA has no jurisdiction.

Oh look, Elon just bought two decommissioned oil rigs.  Well fancy that.   =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2021, 09:01:11 AM »
Oil rig, international waters, FAA has no jurisdiction.

Oh look, Elon just bought two decommissioned oil rigs.  Well fancy that.   =D
Starting to sound like a James Bond movie.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2021, 09:02:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpQwQx4Q_Dc
Looks like they are still waiting for FAA approval. 

Is there a live feed that doesn't have people constantly talking?  I just want to keep a feed open and hear it if it launches, maybe here the countdown talk.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2021, 09:33:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpQwQx4Q_Dc
Looks like they are still waiting for FAA approval. 

Is there a live feed that doesn't have people constantly talking?  I just want to keep a feed open and hear it if it launches, maybe here the countdown talk.

Nerdle cam is normally pretty commentary free.

https://youtu.be/Ky5l9ZxsG9M

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
SpaceX starts launching from ships in 5.......4.......3........

Say hello to Deimos and Phobos

SpaceX bought two former Valaris oil rigs to build floating launchpads for its Starship rocket
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/19/spacex-bought-former-valaris-oil-rigs-to-build-starship-launchpads.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2021, 09:41:58 AM »
The uncertainty with the FAA clearance makes the tinfoily hat part of me wonder if the Obiden administration has a hand in this.  Can't have private enterprise upstaging the government (read NASA).  Everyone knows the government does everything better than private enterprise.
Nevermind that the Obiden administration is likely to gut the major NASA manned flight programs in the near future.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2021, 09:54:25 AM »
"Spacex will not be  attempting a flight today likely due to lack of FAA approval"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2021, 09:56:02 AM »
In other news SN10 has been moved out of the High Bay.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2021, 09:56:18 AM »
"Spacex will not be  attempting a flight today likely due to lack of FAA approval"

Yup.  I don't recall the FAA ever jerking SpaceX around so much before.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2021, 10:03:01 AM »
A little tin foil hat voice in me is saying expect an announcement from Biden about NASA taking over SpaceX and maybe even NASA "joining" forces with the Chinese space program as well

[tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:19:57 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
In other news SN10 has been moved out of the High Bay.

It looks like they hired Schmuckatelli Bros. HVAC to do the sheet metal work on SN10's fins.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2021, 12:03:38 PM »
Some speculation SpaceX is merely moving along faster than a Govt agency like the FAA can react to. In other words the FAA is the Buick doing 20 in the fast lane.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2021, 12:17:23 PM »
Edit
Never mind, got two forums confused in the tabs
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2021, 12:21:41 PM »
I remember over 10 years ago when Boeing and some Ukrainian consortium was using a converted oil rig (the Odyssey) for satellite launches.  It had work done on it in Puget Sound and Vancouver BC, and I think I actually saw it in Puget Sound once.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »
Some speculation SpaceX is merely moving along faster than a Govt agency like the FAA can react to. In other words the FAA is the Buick doing 20 in the fast lane.

Can't be letting the common folk be upstaging the great and powerful NASA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2021, 02:21:12 PM »
They're rolling SN10 out to the launch area.
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2021, 02:28:19 PM »
They're rolling SN10 out to the launch area.
Having two ready to launch at the same time is cool, but it kind of makes it hard to apply lessons learned from one test to the other.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2021, 05:47:05 PM »
Yup.  I don't recall the FAA ever jerking SpaceX around so much before.

Trump was President.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2021, 05:49:21 PM »
Can't be letting the common folk be upstaging the great and powerful NASA.

More like NASA's purpose since 1970 has been to keep Americans out of space.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2021, 07:06:38 PM »
Having two ready to launch at the same time is cool, but it kind of makes it hard to apply lessons learned from one test to the other.

A lot of what they're testing is software related.  Specifically, parameters for throttle percentage, thrust vector control angles, and aero-flap angle of attack.

That's easily tweaked from SN9 to SN10, with only a few days of configuration and validation through computer modeling.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2021, 09:53:52 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2021, 08:29:57 AM »
NASA delays moon lander awards as Biden team mulls moonshot program.   Story is from "The Verge".
I think we can safely predict where this is going.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2021, 02:02:45 PM »
Nothing about a launch today
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2021, 02:09:49 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2021, 02:13:15 PM »
Road closures for today cancelled so no flight today.
Road closures scheduled for Feb 2 & 3rd
- Calvin and Hobbes