Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 126914 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #551 on: May 05, 2021, 08:48:06 PM »
Looks like they're sending out crew and equipment to secure SN15
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #552 on: May 05, 2021, 09:35:05 PM »
In the dark with the lights shinning on it it looks like something from a 50s sci-fi movie.

Crew now on the pad inspecting SN15
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #553 on: May 05, 2021, 10:55:46 PM »
 [tinfoil] :facepalm:

Meh
@Meh01818310
·
59m
Replying to
@Erdayastronaut
 and
@marylizbender
Honest question.  Do we have any proof they actually executed the belly flop properly?   They launched on a cloudy day and the video conveniently cut out during the maneuver
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #554 on: May 05, 2021, 10:57:21 PM »
Shot of SN15 coming out of the clouds doing the flip
https://twitter.com/Erdayastronaut/status/1390125636417642496
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:27:41 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #555 on: May 06, 2021, 09:39:44 AM »
It's still standing
- Calvin and Hobbes

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #556 on: May 06, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »
That's some Star Wars grade *expletive deleted*it right there.
I promise not to duck.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #557 on: May 06, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
"Tankzilla" rolling out to the pad
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #558 on: May 06, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »
 :rofl:

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #559 on: May 06, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
Looks like they've got SN15 secured.
I was thinking they would have something to latch on to the landing legs and it appears that's just what they may have done while awaiting the arrival of "Tankzilla"

LIVE: Starship SN15 Recovery Operations [No Commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2sgT7O6_LE
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #560 on: May 06, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »
Waiting on someone to give Harris credit since she's now chairing the National Space Council.
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #561 on: May 06, 2021, 01:02:56 PM »
Looks like some of the heat tiles on the bottom test patch fell off at some point.  Excellent feedback for higher altitude tests though.

I'm kind of hoping they try something a bit more "vigorous" with SN15 after they get a chance to examine it thoroughly; Instead of a slow climb to 10k meters, a rapid climb to 100k or as high as they can reasonably get it with only 3 raptors and the max partial fuel complement those 3 engines can lift.  Obviously they're not going to be able to SSTO it so I'm still just talking up and down with no horizontal component.  But maybe get some data on a little bit of reentry energy, compare temps on bare skin vs shielded sections.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #562 on: May 06, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »
Looks like they may be getting ready to move SN16 out.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #564 on: May 06, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »
How dare a host not be "woke"!

Elon Musk’s upcoming ‘SNL’ hosting gig causes outrage among stars
https://nypost.com/2021/04/26/elon-musk-hosting-snl-sparks-outrage-from-shows-stars/

Elon Musk's SNL gig 'has upset cast members'
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/elon-musks-snl-gig-has-upset-cast-members/ar-BB1g5Vqu
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #565 on: May 06, 2021, 08:33:44 PM »
Noticed only two of the raptors lit during the flip. Did Elon revert back to only lighting two or was there a failure in one of the raptors?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #566 on: May 06, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »
Noticed only two of the raptors lit during the flip. Did Elon revert back to only lighting two or was there a failure in one of the raptors?

I don't know, did you ask him?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #567 on: May 06, 2021, 10:49:14 PM »
Dear Elon
Why did you only light two raptors during SN16's flip?
And do you have that $500 million you owe me?

Thanks
WLJ
- Calvin and Hobbes

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #568 on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »
Dear Elon
Why did you only light two raptors during SN16's flip?
And do you have that $500 million you owe me?

Thanks
WLJ

I was listening to NASA Spaceflight and they said that it was part of the flight profile.  They cannot throttle down the raptors that low so they just turn one off and the other 2 compensate.

https://youtu.be/NPNvB5ComFw?t=33880s
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #569 on: May 07, 2021, 10:02:12 AM »
I was listening to NASA Spaceflight and they said that it was part of the flight profile.  They cannot throttle down the raptors that low so they just turn one off and the other 2 compensate.

https://youtu.be/NPNvB5ComFw?t=33880s

With SN8 & SN9 only two were lit during the initial landing burn. After SN9's raptor failure during the landing burn leaving only one they started lighting all three and then shut off the unneeded third if all three lit once it was known they had two good ones. With SN15 it appears they only lit two this time. Whether that was a revert back to the original way due to higher faith in SN15's revised raptors or it was because of a failure I haven't heard yet.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #570 on: May 07, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
7h
Might try to refly SN15 soon

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #571 on: May 07, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
7h
Might try to refly SN15 soon

I was wondering if he would do that.  Getting more time on it seems logical since it had a nominal flight the first time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #572 on: May 07, 2021, 04:58:09 PM »
Me think AA has been drinking  :rofl:

SpaceX SN15 Analysis - Starship Aces Most Critical Test Yet! (Well, 99.9%) AND May Be Reflown!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KfLhIBdn0
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #573 on: May 09, 2021, 02:50:21 PM »
60 more Starlinks launched last night. 10th launch and landing for the booster.

https://youtu.be/v7bL5xV8-Ys?t=3166
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #574 on: May 09, 2021, 03:31:23 PM »
So how many more before they can bring Skynet online?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams