Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 127155 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #700 on: July 19, 2021, 06:17:54 PM »
Could be why there are rumors of SpaceX possibly moving super heavy operations to the Cape or using the Cape as a backup.
U.S. warns SpaceX its new Texas launch site tower not yet approved
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/faa-warns-spacex-it-has-not-approved-new-texas-launch-site-tower-2021-07-14/

Old news.  Mountain out of molehill.  It's already resolved.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #701 on: July 19, 2021, 08:36:00 PM »
Old news.  Mountain out of molehill.  It's already resolved.

SN flight FAA issues were resolved but it appears the tower issue may, note may, still be on going. But some are now saying it's just a paperwork issue.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:49:35 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #702 on: July 19, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »
While I wasn't looking they started doing BN3 static fires. Life get in the way of keeping on top of some of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cl5wrUffk0
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #703 on: July 20, 2021, 08:32:59 AM »
Jeff Who's turn

LIVE: Blue Origin Launches Jeff Bezos to Space on First Crewed New Shepard Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGl8MRJheiA
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #704 on: July 20, 2021, 08:35:31 AM »
Jeff wearing an ugly as ____ cowboy hat.

They even have one of those Arby ring if you liked your meal bells on the launch pad  :rofl: :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #705 on: July 20, 2021, 08:43:40 AM »
"You have to push the button to talk!"

"YOU HAVE TO PUSH THE BUTTON TO TALK!"

:rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #706 on: July 20, 2021, 08:49:22 AM »
OMG the suck up to Bezos from the BO people   [barf]
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #707 on: July 20, 2021, 09:09:47 AM »
A couple of things:

The guy who had "other obligations" is going to be hating life if his name ever gets out.  :laugh:

Both Bezos and Branson are essentially taking super expensive carnival rides. Don't get me wrong - I'd go in a heartbeat. The rides though, are only 50 miles up and 10 minutes long. I heard on the TV this morning that Musk plans to (unsure if it's the first ride or later this year) go into orbit. Now that's a ride to space!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #708 on: July 20, 2021, 01:22:40 PM »
"That's a penis!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have to say, that was my thought the first time I saw the spacecraft. Is Bezos one of the rich people that spent a lot of time on Epstein Island?  =D

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/07/20/flesh-gordon-jeff-bezos-rocket-reminds-people-of-a-male-body-part/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #709 on: July 20, 2021, 01:24:32 PM »
"That's a penis!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have to say, that was my thought the first time I saw the spacecraft. Is Bezos one of the rich people that spent a lot of time on Epstein Island?  =D

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/07/20/flesh-gordon-jeff-bezos-rocket-reminds-people-of-a-male-body-part/

I came this close to typing "Light this penis" in one of the live chats but I figured I would get banned
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #710 on: July 20, 2021, 01:25:14 PM »
A couple of things:

The guy who had "other obligations" is going to be hating life if his name ever gets out.  :laugh:

Both Bezos and Branson are essentially taking super expensive carnival rides. Don't get me wrong - I'd go in a heartbeat. The rides though, are only 50 miles up and 10 minutes long. I heard on the TV this morning that Musk plans to (unsure if it's the first ride or later this year) go into orbit. Now that's a ride to space!

I think that to be called a "space trip" they need at least one orbit. Branson got close to space but all he really did was ride a rocket plane really high.

Bezos crossed the imaginary line but still just barely got there.

Give me an orbit or stay at home. ;)

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #711 on: July 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM »
I have a feeling the first manned Starship will be a spectacle.

"Hold my Tesla and watch this!"

As an aside, I noticed on the live stream that Blue Origin was using Rivian electric trucks to go to the launch pad.  Not passive aggressive at all....

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #712 on: July 20, 2021, 05:28:55 PM »
I have a feeling the first manned Starship will be a spectacle.

"Hold my Tesla and watch this!"

As an aside, I noticed on the live stream that Blue Origin was using Rivian electric trucks to go to the launch pad.  Not passive aggressive at all....

Heh, Musk, in his Tesla, bolted inside the starship, riding it to orbit and back again.

Just to put stuff into historical perspective...

VG is working on a multipassenger X-15 (and this actually has potential for niche high speed travel)

BO is working on a refurbishable multipassenger Mercury-Redstone (really expensive thrill ride)

SX is working on a reusable Saturn-V (and has already made a refurbishable Apollo and reusable Titan-IV)

My opinion of BO is they only exist to suck up government money.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #713 on: July 20, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »
Well, here we go. Now that private enterprise is heading for space, we need to tax space.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/commercial-spaceflight-the-next-frontier-for-taxes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #714 on: July 20, 2021, 10:58:43 PM »
How they saw the launch in Japan

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #715 on: July 20, 2021, 11:00:06 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #716 on: July 20, 2021, 11:00:30 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #717 on: July 20, 2021, 11:34:48 PM »
I really hope Elon lights up a fat one when he reaches orbit. Just because.  [popcorn] Ultimate dad joke and a first for humanity.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #718 on: July 21, 2021, 04:53:30 AM »
I really hope Elon lights up a fat one when he reaches orbit. Just because.  [popcorn] Ultimate dad joke and a first for humanity.

You could do zero G smoking but the ash and particulate is gonna be a pain to manage.  Probably just use a vaporiser.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #719 on: July 21, 2021, 09:54:31 AM »
Turning the thread slightly political, Bezos gave Van Jones $100 million after landing as a way for "paying back" for the launch. Right after he said "thanks to Amazon employees and customers for paying for my ride". Even libs seem to be going after him for giving money to Jones instead of Amazon employees (or the organizations lefties would prefer the money go to).

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #720 on: July 24, 2021, 12:20:34 AM »
Turning the thread slightly political, Bezos gave Van Jones $100 million after landing as a way for "paying back" for the launch. Right after he said "thanks to Amazon employees and customers for paying for my ride". Even libs seem to be going after him for giving money to Jones instead of Amazon employees (or the organizations lefties would prefer the money go to).

Bezos is all about Bezos.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #721 on: July 24, 2021, 12:22:33 AM »
Jeff Who?

SpaceX
@SpaceX
·
7h
NASA has selected Falcon Heavy to fly Europa Clipper! Launching in October 2024, this interplanetary mission will study whether Jupiter's icy moon Europa could have conditions suitable for life. http://go.nasa.gov/3iGmYKV
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1418667693016711170

NASA Awards Launch Services Contract for Europa Clipper Mission
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-awards-launch-services-contract-for-europa-clipper-mission
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #722 on: July 24, 2021, 12:28:18 AM »
BTW: They got the Hubble working again after many said it was dead for good.

NASA Returns Hubble Space Telescope to Science Operations
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2021/operations-underway-to-restore-payload-computer-on-nasas-hubble-space-telescope

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #723 on: July 24, 2021, 08:26:52 AM »
Looks like the FAA has redefined what an astronaut is, and Bezos didn't make the cut. I believe the new rules came out the day of his launch. I also recall the launch announcer kept calling everyone in the penis "astronauts".   =)

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/faa-jeff-bezos-not-astronaut-new-criteria

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #724 on: July 24, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
Looks like the FAA has redefined what an astronaut is, and Bezos didn't make the cut. I believe the new rules came out the day of his launch. I also recall the launch announcer kept calling everyone in the penis "astronauts".   =)

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/faa-jeff-bezos-not-astronaut-new-criteria

Yeah, bugged me a bit when the launch announcer kept calling each one as Astronaut-Name over and over again. Similar to Famous Daves restaurants where everyone is referred to as Famous-Name.

I can understand the FAA on this because calling them astronauts is akin to calling every passenger on an airliner a pilot and that's really all Bezos was, a passenger. But that's okay, Bezos has got plenty of money for greasing palms to get this changed.

How about we call him Junior Astronaut Bezos like they did in the old days when they allowed little kids to visit the cockpit of an airliner?  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes