Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 126956 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #2075 on: March 30, 2023, 10:48:03 AM »
First crewed Starliner launch gets pushed back a bit to the summer.

First crewed Starliner launch slips again
https://spacenews.com/first-crewed-starliner-launch-slips-again/

Update

Starliner crewed test flight delayed to July
https://spacenews.com/starliner-crewed-test-flight-delayed-to-july/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2076 on: March 30, 2023, 07:09:46 PM »
This morning's scrubbed F9 launch has been rescheduled to tomorrow (Fri) 10:29 EDT
Haven't seen any word yet on what caused the scrub

https://www.space.com/spacex-space-force-tranche-0-launch

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2077 on: March 30, 2023, 07:52:31 PM »
Well crap

In a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, Virgin Orbit announced it was laying off approximately 675 employees, or 85% of its workforce. The company said the layoff was necessary “to reduce expenses in light of the Company’s inability to secure meaningful funding.”

Virgin Orbit lays off most employees
https://spacenews.com/virgin-orbit-lays-off-most-employees/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2078 on: March 31, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »
This morning's scrubbed F9 launch has been rescheduled to tomorrow (Fri) 10:29 EDT
Haven't seen any word yet on what caused the scrub

https://www.space.com/spacex-space-force-tranche-0-launch

Now says Sat 10:29 EDT. Think the link got the day wrong.

Edit: Changed again to Sun 10:29
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 01:39:15 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2079 on: April 01, 2023, 01:23:11 AM »
S24 rolling back out to the launch area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGvYlZB5BA
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2080 on: April 01, 2023, 08:45:47 AM »
I wonder if the FAA (read: Biden Administration) is going to find some excuse to deny SpaceX a license to launch?  Given that they have to conform exactly to each and every one of 74 different conditions set forth by the FAA to receive a license, there are plenty of opportunities for pettiness on .gov's part.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2081 on: April 01, 2023, 09:39:25 AM »
I'm kind of surprised they haven't found a way to shut him down yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2082 on: April 01, 2023, 10:25:16 AM »
I'm kind of surprised they haven't found a way to shut him down yet.

We can always pay the Chinese for rides now that the Russians are no longer an option.
With the big man getting a cut of course.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2083 on: April 02, 2023, 10:02:36 AM »
LT 10:29 EDT

SpaceX is launching a Falcon 9 carrying 10 satellites for the Space Development Agency. The launch will occur from VSFB SLC-4E headed to a polar low Earth orbit. The first stage is B1075-2, which will attempt a landing at Landing Zone 4.

RTLS: SpaceX Falcon 9 Launches Tranche 0 Flight 1 - Second Attempt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6YcWK7msA
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2084 on: April 02, 2023, 10:26:35 AM »
Fog is clear everywhere but the launch pad area  :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2085 on: April 03, 2023, 12:12:32 PM »
Hmmmm

It appears that the marine notices for Starship’s first orbital flight have been released!
https://twitter.com/Alexphysics13/status/1642028439539425283

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2086 on: April 04, 2023, 07:32:00 AM »
Looks like they're getting ready to stack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2087 on: April 04, 2023, 08:51:26 AM »
Well crap

Virgin Orbit lays off most employees
https://spacenews.com/virgin-orbit-lays-off-most-employees/

Update but it was predicable

Filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Billionaire Richard Branson's rocket firm Virgin Orbit files for bankruptcy after failing to secure investment
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11936615/Billionaire-Richard-Bransons-rocket-firm-Virgin-Orbit-files-bankruptcy.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2088 on: April 04, 2023, 10:05:29 AM »
Sounding like April 10th is the aspirational date for Starship launch.  I don't have a link, but some NASA observational aircraft are scheduled for that day, and there's a notice on FAA ATC Command Center supposedly regarding April 10th as a Starship launch.  No official-official announcement yet though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WindBreaker

• AKA: "Sir Fartsalot"
« Reply #2089 on: April 04, 2023, 12:57:00 PM »
FAA advisories have been announced for 4-10-23 to 4-12-23 and approval for a total of 5 StarShip Launches this year, through the end of Dec. Maritime exclusion zone have been announced for the same days from 07:45CST (local time zone) until 12:30CST, for each of those days, South and East of the launch area in, far south Texas. A soft splash down in the Gulf is slated for the Booster, and Starship will do the same off the coast of Hawai'i after half an orbit.  This will be the first launch of the world's largest rocket, capable of transporting as many as 36 passengers to Mars (100 at at time to the Moon) and lifting as much as 150 TONS (330,000 pounds) each flight with the Cargo version. You will be able to watch the historic flight in many ways, please feel free to join me on the YouTube Live Stream by "The Launch Pad" at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIKw8mvJi-I

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2090 on: April 04, 2023, 04:34:57 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2091 on: April 04, 2023, 04:42:13 PM »
A new NASA policy makes it unlikely future missions will be named after individuals in response to the controversy surrounding the naming of the James Webb Space Telescope.
The biggest difference in the new policy is language that explicitly discourages naming missions after individuals. “Where possible, limit the practice of naming projects, missions, instruments, etc., after individuals,” it states. “Instead use the theme of unity, inspiration, or the accomplishments of a person as the primary criterion for a project or mission name.”

So I guess no Dylan Mulvaney Bud Light probe to Uranus. Well, not that uranus anyway

NASA policy discourages naming missions after individuals
https://spacenews.com/nasa-policy-discourages-naming-missions-after-individuals/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2092 on: April 05, 2023, 07:53:39 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2093 on: April 05, 2023, 08:02:21 AM »
I seriously think they're trying to time it with the sunrise for a photo op
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2094 on: April 05, 2023, 08:19:28 AM »
I can't wait for them to yeet that thing into orbit.  No matter what happens it should be a good show.

One of the things I like about watching SpaceX launches is their willingness to just send it.  If NASA blew up a rocket trying to launch it, there would be despair in the launch center, people's careers would be over, and pontificating representatives on TV.  SpaceX augers a Starship into the ground and they're like "We got pretty good data out of that.  NEXT!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2095 on: April 05, 2023, 08:25:05 AM »
Maybe it's just a matter of perspective, but it looks like they're lowering Starship back to its stand.  Postponing the stack, maybe?
Looking again, Starship is being lowered to its stand.  Not stacking, at least for the moment.
There is a cable or something hanging from the bottom of Starship.  Not supposed to be there is my guess.  Someone make booboo.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2096 on: April 05, 2023, 08:27:08 AM »
Definitely coming back down.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2097 on: April 05, 2023, 08:31:37 AM »
Maybe it's just a matter of perspective, but it looks like they're lowering Starship back to its stand.  Postponing the stack, maybe?
Looking again, Starship is being lowered to its stand.  Not stacking, at least for the moment.

It is going back down slowly. Maybe something came up.
Do notice a cable hanging from it that could maybe interfere with mating. Maybe someone forgot something.  :O
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2098 on: April 05, 2023, 08:34:42 AM »
Wondered about that cable myself.  See my edited post above.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2099 on: April 05, 2023, 08:36:08 AM »
Someone in chat said they say a drone checking out the cable
- Calvin and Hobbes