Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 267850 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #3425 on: July 01, 2024, 04:24:50 PM »
Now no target date but they're not stranded folks.
If we see a previously unscheduled Crew Dragon rolling to the pad soon then we'll know for sure.

Starliner landing now on indefinite hold for more tests, but NASA insists crew not ‘stranded’ in space
https://spaceflightnow.com/2024/06/29/starliner-landing-now-on-indefinite-hold-for-more-tests-but-nasa-insists-crew-not-stranded-in-space/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3426 on: July 01, 2024, 04:51:47 PM »
^^^Does SpaceX have the hardware and staffing necessary to do a short-notice manned mission?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3427 on: July 01, 2024, 04:57:51 PM »
^^^Does SpaceX have the hardware and staffing necessary to do a short-notice manned mission?

They appear to have 3 operational Crew Dragon ships right now.  One is on station already, another is at the Cape in preparation for launch on Polaris-1.  That one does not have an ISS compatible docking collar on it right now, instead having a hatch designed for EVA work to test SpaceX's new EVA suit they have just designed.  The final capsule does have the original ISS compatible docking collar on it but I don't know its mission readiness.

Honestly the simplest solution to all of this (if Starliner is unfit) is to have Butch and Suni shelter on the ISS until the next scheduled Cargo Dragon mission.  NASA can then send up a Crew Dragon rather than Cargo variant, with only 2 seats installed rather than 4.  The remaining space is used for supplies.  Butch and Suni then come down on the Crew Dragon.

Minimal cost to NASA, minimal operational interruption to the station's supply chain.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3428 on: July 01, 2024, 05:30:59 PM »
This site lists 4 active crew dragons + 1 possibly retired and 1 destroyed during a test.

https://www.elonx.net/list-of-dragon-capsules/#dragon2

Currently active
Capsule C212 “Freedom”
Capsule C210 “Endurance”
Capsule C207 “Resilience”
Capsule C206 “Endeavour”

Cargo Dragons a few. I'm too lazy to go through and count the active ones right now
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3429 on: July 01, 2024, 09:21:30 PM »
^^^I read the Wikipedia article on the Dragon and I could not find out if a Cargo model could be converted to a Crew model, or is each model purpose-built from scratch. I would imagine that a Cargo model would at least be pressure-tight with an ambient atmosphere, but I don't know if any sort of life support system is installed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3430 on: July 01, 2024, 09:38:30 PM »
^^^I read the Wikipedia article on the Dragon and I could not find out if a Cargo model could be converted to a Crew model, or is each model purpose-built from scratch. I would imagine that a Cargo model would at least be pressure-tight with an ambient atmosphere, but I don't know if any sort of life support system is installed.

I know they do have some due to the fact much of the cargo needs it but it's probably just the bare minimal for cargo and whether or not it can support humans for a day or so I don't know. Cargo doesn't breathe and need seats or a toilet, it just needs to be kept warm/cool and pressurized. Seeing some internet chatter saying no but I would like to see definitive info from SpX on the matter. Can just the minimal needed to do so be added quickly? I would hope Elon thought of this in case one of theirs got stuck and if not maybe he is now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3431 on: July 02, 2024, 10:47:24 AM »
Look out Starbase
Could hit Sunday but a lot can change with this track before then.
Currently Cat 5

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13592251/hurricane-beryl-tracker-path-us.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3432 on: July 02, 2024, 02:32:22 PM »

- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3433 on: July 02, 2024, 09:28:31 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3434 on: July 03, 2024, 07:09:39 PM »
Unplanned Chinese rocket booster bingo
Whoops

You can hear glass breaking after it crashed so it broke some windows. But it could have been a lot worse considering it was in the middle of a populated area.

China's SpaceX Copy Destroyed in Bizarre Test Failure - Booster Static Fire Becomes Flight Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-Kw9u37I0

Someone failed basic math and it wasn't me.

The stand used for this test was patented during the development of Space Pioneer’s former Tianlong-2 rocket. In the patent, the company states that the stand is rated for up to 600 tons of thrust. With the rocket capable of producing up to 820 tons of thrust, according to Space Pioneer, early indications suggest that the stand’s design limit was exceeded, resulting in the rocket releasing itself from the test stand.

I could be wrong here but I think 820 may be a wee bit more than 600

China Roundup: Tianlong-3 static fire anomaly, Chang’e 6 sample return, and next-generation rockets
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2024/07/china-roundup-070324/
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3435 on: July 04, 2024, 06:47:18 AM »
Firefly Alpha Launches FLTA005 "Noise of Summer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OHV7-WSMAA
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3436 on: July 05, 2024, 04:47:59 PM »
BO now aiming for Sept 28 for New Glenn's first flight instead of Aug.
2020 was the original launch target
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3437 on: July 06, 2024, 09:45:01 AM »
Here's Marus House

Just started watching but of note so far
- 35 engine booster design possibly with Raptor 3s. Also note R3 produces 280t vs 230t of the R2. So WOW!

Still watching

SpaceX Finally Unveils New Starship Flight Views, and Upgrades Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBBeDhAMkpE
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3438 on: July 06, 2024, 06:56:11 PM »
BO now aiming for Sept 28 for New Glenn's first flight instead of Aug.
2020 was the original launch target

They don't have much room for slippage with their payload, since it's destined for Mars and the transfer window is not forgiving of new vehicle teething problems on the launch platform.

My money is on a scrubbed attempt, and a search for an alternate first payload.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3439 on: July 06, 2024, 07:05:07 PM »
Honestly I didn't pay much attention to the payload but you're right
Noticed BO has two New Glenn launches (currently) scheduled for 2024

https://www.spacelaunchschedule.com/category/blue-origin/
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3440 on: July 07, 2024, 04:07:53 PM »
Work at Starbase has shutdown.
Looks like it's coming ashore north of them Monday morning possibly as a Cat 2
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3441 on: July 08, 2024, 01:59:39 PM »
I can't shake the feeling I've seen something similar to this before.

https://x.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1810301643310694597

- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3442 on: July 09, 2024, 10:16:56 AM »
B12 rolling

SpaceX Rolls out Potential First Catch Booster - B12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3Tfz30bts
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3443 on: July 09, 2024, 01:15:40 PM »
T- 01:45:00 at time of posting

COUNTDOWN! Ariane 6 Maiden Launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYqCPN5qZNg
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3444 on: July 10, 2024, 12:03:47 PM »
Both BO and ULA submit letters asking the government o slow SpX down at The Cape due to "environmental" concerns among other things.

Blue Origin submitted a 3-page letter to the FAA, in which they ask for a cap to be put into place on the number of launches and landings, reducing the 44 planned launches to an unspecified amount "that has a minimal impact on the local environment, locally operating personnel and the local community," they wrote.
ULA's criticisms hit even harder in a 22-page document that the company submitted as part of the consultation. They don't hold back, accusing SpaceX of producing their own environmental impact statement for their extravagantly named 'Starbase' at Boca Chica in Texas from where they have been testing Starship so far.
SpaceX rivals challenge Starship launch license in Florida over environmental, safety concerns
https://www.space.com/spacex-rivals-challenge-starship-launch-license-in-florida

They're not completely wrong with some of the concerns being expressed but with both having designs in the planing to rival Starship you got to wonder.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 04:00:32 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3445 on: July 10, 2024, 12:10:59 PM »
T- 01:45:00 at time of posting

COUNTDOWN! Ariane 6 Maiden Launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYqCPN5qZNg

Good launch with an issue once in space.
Overall I consider this minor in the larger scheme of things as far as the rocket goes.

In a keenly awaited milestone, the Vinci engine powering the rocket's upper stage was restarted in space for the first time. It is designed to restart repeatedly, allowing operator Arianespace to place payloads into several different orbits.
However, a third firing had to be abandoned after a smaller power unit shut itself down for unspecified reasons, meaning the final batch of payloads - two small capsules designed to test the conditions for surviving re-entry - remained stuck onboard.
"We had an anomaly...We are probably not going to finish this part of the mission as we were hoping to," said Tina Buchner da Costa, an Ariane 6 launch system architect.

Edit: forgot the link for the above https://www.reuters.com/technology/space/europes-ariane-6-rocket-set-maiden-flight-after-data-glitch-2024-07-09/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 04:04:58 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3446 on: July 10, 2024, 03:58:01 PM »
More important than the BO and ULA complaints about SpaceX, season 12 of Futurama debuts on July 29.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3447 on: July 10, 2024, 06:59:07 PM »
SpX pushing back against TNYTs

A group claimed a decline in the piping plover population around Starbase in a study they haphazardly did in 2021 but then a followup more thorough study done in 2022 showed no real decline. To make both studies more pointless is that the bird doesn't even nest in Texas.

Facts didn't stop the NYTs from running with the first study

https://x.com/SpaceX/status/1811120996914757818

« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 08:06:23 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3448 on: July 10, 2024, 08:02:26 PM »
Now they're saying the end of July at the earliest

Starliner astronauts say they're 'comfortable' on space station, return still weeks away
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/07/10/boeing-starliner-return-update/74351393007/
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3449 on: July 11, 2024, 09:30:36 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi