Author Topic: tried amazon for the first time, gawd its so dang annoying  (Read 645 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
tried amazon for the first time, gawd its so dang annoying
« on: January 17, 2021, 10:40:49 PM »
 my company gave me an amazon gift card, so far freaking useless.
 it is supposed to be fifty dollars but I cannot use it for anything, it tells me it is there tho.
at this rate, no way would I hand over financial data to them.
any of you guys know of a number I can call? i can't find one on their website
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: tried amazon for the first time, gawd its so dang annoying
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 10:44:06 PM »
You might need to create an account to use the gift card.  I think you can do that without giving them a lot of information.
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:00:11 PM »
I'm just guessing based on what I had to do when I decided to get Amazon Prime.  You have to set up an account with Amazon.  You also need to set up a way that you'd pay them if you order anything.  That means registering your credit card if you happen to have one as the primary way you'd pay.  Then you register your gift card and you can tell them to use that up first before charging your card.  I also signed up for their Chase credit card and only use it for Amazon stuff.  You get discounts and points to use to defray the cost of stuff you may order.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 11:02:08 PM »
You might need to create an account to use the gift card.  I think you can do that without giving them a lot of information.
I created an account, it says I have a fifty dollar balance, it just refuses to process anything
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 11:06:39 PM »
I'm just guessing based on what I had to do when I decided to get Amazon Prime.  You have to set up an account with Amazon.  You also need to set up a way that you'd pay them if you order anything.  That means registering your credit card if you happen to have one as the primary way you'd pay.  Then you register your gift card and you can tell them to use that up first before charging your card.  I also signed up for their Chase credit card and only use it for Amazon stuff.  You get discounts and points to use to defray the cost of stuff you may order.

I get paid on a "global cash card" my company loads up my card on payday - I am not really comfortable giving my info to amazon - my company gave me a fifty dollar gift card and they seem fine with taking money but not letting me use it.
so far they have not earned any trust -

I've tried a few times to get a bank account but the rona restrictions are making it cumbersome

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
What exactly happens when you put $50 worth of stuff in your cart and try to check out?  I don't think you need a credit card on file to have an account, and you shouldn't need one until you have to pay for something with one.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
According to my records Amazon customer service is 1-206-922-0880.  Good luck.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:41 PM »
The customer service number i have is 18662161072
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 11:30:21 PM »
If one doesn't work try the other.  Or add them both together and divide by two. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »
I've had better luck with the chat but on the site than any phone number.

When I have a gift card balance, it shows up just beneath my CC as a payment option during check out.  What happens when you check out?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:42 AM »
I've had better luck with the chat but on the site than any phone number.

I prefer chat too, but it's apparently completely AI now, and I was figuring it might not know what to do with Gunsmith's issue.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 09:38:41 AM »
Even if you give your CC information for order, you can delete it immediately after ordering. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
AFAIK, the only items Amazon restricts fom Amazon Gift Card (AGC) purchases are AGCs and Prime memberships. For everything else the AGC balance show up under Payment Options at checkout.

The limitation on Prime memberships is a real head-scratcher. Not sure why you'd want to keep AGC users from being able to use them for payment. There are more people who don't use formal credit cards than most folks realize, opting for gift cards when CC info is required.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB