Author Topic: Help a guy get a garage door remote?  (Read 738 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Help a guy get a garage door remote?
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:40:04 PM »
Our new house came with a garage door opener, but no remote. The opener's a Chamberlain AccessMaster 1/2hp, manufactured in 2007. The part number is 41A5021-1H-315. Apparently, the color of the learn button and antenna are a factor. They look purple-ish to me.

waddyathink?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Help a guy get a garage door remote?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:51:31 PM »
Take a look at Chamberlain's remote replacement page.  Maybe they have the info on what you need.

https://www.chamberlain.com/garage-remotes-and-accessories/garage-door-opener-remote-replacement
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:30:00 AM »
If the GDO is pushing 15 years old it might be a better investment to spend a bit more and replace the whole sh'bang.

Also, if you do decide to go the 'replace remote only' route, don't just add the new remote. Do a full deprogram/reprogram. If your house didn't come with any GDO remotes, there's at least some chance there's one of the missing ones floating around in circulation.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 10:16:18 AM »
Our opener bit the dust last week so I replaced it with a 1.5 hp belt drive opener from Lowe’s for ~$189.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 12:09:27 PM »
If the GDO is pushing 15 years old it might be a better investment to spend a bit more and replace the whole sh'bang.

Also, if you do decide to go the 'replace remote only' route, don't just add the new remote. Do a full deprogram/reprogram. If your house didn't come with any GDO remotes, there's at least some chance there's one of the missing ones floating around in circulation.

Brad

Thanks. It looks like remotes run ~$20-30, so I might just get a couple of those. Home Depot sells a Genie opener for about $80, but I don't know what else I might need to buy along with that, or if I could install it myself. Or if it's better than what I have.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 12:48:52 PM »
Home Depot sells a Genie opener for about $80,

??

Cheapest one I see is $130 (actually 128, but whatever...). Keep in mind that local stock, not what's available to order. It's a Chamberlain 1/2 HP. Resist the urge, though. I've dealt with them and they are too flimsy for a full-width garage door. Okay for singles 8-9' wide but not really tough enough for service on 16' or wider doors, especially insulated ones. Stick with at least a 3/4 hp or larger. More robust internals. The Chamberlain belt drive units seem okay. The Genie screw drives are really nice.

If you already have a garage door opener then replacing it isn't really a big deal if you have some basic mechanical savvy. Mount locations are usually very similar, if not identical, and things like button and safety eye wiring can often be repurposed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 02:00:50 PM »
HD shows a 3/4 HP SilentMax unit on their website for... $78.

BUT... it's unavailable for delivery, and the note says check your local store for stock, which makes me think it's a discontinued item.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 08:02:14 PM »
??

Cheapest one I see is $130 (actually 128, but whatever...). Keep in mind that local stock, not what's available to order. It's a Chamberlain 1/2 HP. Resist the urge, though. I've dealt with them and they are too flimsy for a full-width garage door. Okay for singles 8-9' wide but not really tough enough for service on 16' or wider doors, especially insulated ones.

I was talking about the Genie one that Mike mentioned.

The Chamberlain 1/2 hp is what I have now. It's a one-car garage. The internet seems to be unanimous on openers lasting 10-15 years, so I can see the logic of replacing the opener itself. I like to think an opener lasts longer if it's opening a relatively small door, like ours. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Amazon had 2 keychain openers for $25, which I just ordered. At least if they don't work, it should be easy to return them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:34:22 PM by fistful »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 07:12:42 AM »
"The internet seems to be unanimous on openers lasting 10-15 years, so I can see the logic of replacing the opener itself."

My guess is that the beefier the unit, generally the longer it will last, especially if it's over capacity for the size of door you're opening due to less strain on the components.

But, that's just a theory.

I've never had a garage that required an opener, and when I was a kid I was the automatic opener for my Grandparent's garage door...

Friend of mine has 3 garage doors on 2 garages. Doesn't have an opener on any of them, but doesn't really need them as he doesn't park in the garages.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »

Amazon had 2 keychain openers for $25, which I just ordered. At least if they don't work, it should be easy to return them.

Problem solved - for now. Need to grease some stuff, too, probably, and whatever other maintenance is appropriate.

Strangely enough, the latch-bolt-thingy on the door was just a little too high to enter the slot. Maybe someone added beefier weather-stripping on the bottom edge of the door? It was easy enough to fix. I guess I'm the first person to come along that felt like fixing it.