Author Topic: [rant] DAMNED WEB DEVELOPERS !  (Read 858 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
[rant] DAMNED WEB DEVELOPERS !
« on: January 24, 2021, 12:06:31 PM »

I wish to hell they wouldn't get all cutsey and artsey and superimpose text on photographs.

The purpose of the text is to communicate information and while "a picture is worth a thousand words," mixing the two does not enhance communication...

Grrr, Snarl...

Oh, and while I'm at it, another gripe of mine is using low contrast between the text and the background.  The worst of this I've ever seen was a dark red text on a purple background.  Argggh!

Click!

Oh, oh, oh, and also, using bizarre fonts that require interpreting each letter of each word to extract meaning.  Some of those Western-Style fonts are borderline illegible.

So there.  Nyah!

Terry, 230RN
[/rant]
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: [rant] DAMNED WEB DEVELOPERS !
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 12:45:40 PM »
What bugs me about some caption stuff is when they dump the text right on top of the key part of the picture you need to see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »
Yeah, agreed, and Youtube puts little "coming attractions" windows up right at the end of a good video, usually right where the best part of the video finishes off.

Growl.

Where's my sphygmomanometer?  That kind of stuff really pumps up my sphygmo.

I might have to get one calibrated in PSI instead of those girly millimeters of mercury.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 01:30:43 PM »

I wish to hell they wouldn't get all cutsey and artsey and superimpose text on photographs.

The purpose of the text is to communicate information and while "a picture is worth a thousand words," mixing the two does not enhance communication...

Grrr, Snarl...

Oh, and while I'm at it, another gripe of mine is using low contrast between the text and the background.  The worst of this I've ever seen was a dark red text on a purple background.  Argggh!

Click!

Oh, oh, oh, and also, using bizarre fonts that require interpreting each letter of each word to extract meaning.  Some of those Western-Style fonts are borderline illegible.

You have been misinformed. The purpose of web sites is not to inform, it is to allow web developers to experiment with every brand new programming geegaw in an all-out effort to see who can best cause even the fastest new computer to fall by the wayside into a quivering pile of useless bits and bytes. The fact that 90 percent of the users who access the sites they design either can't see the text because of awful colour combinations, or simply can't access the site at all because the gimmicks froze their browser, is simply collateral damage.

"Oh, your computer won't run my web site? So buy a new computer. You're welcome -- have a nice day."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »
What pisses me off is websites that are intended for vertical viewing on a phone, but when viewed with a laptop, the top half of the page is taken up by their logo and drop down menu bar, and the bottom quarter is a stupid notice about cookies.  I realize you can get rid of the cookie notice, but the huge logo is stupid.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 02:31:03 PM »
You have been misinformed. The purpose of web sites is not to inform, it is to allow web developers to experiment with every brand new programming geegaw in an all-out effort to see who can best cause even the fastest new computer to fall by the wayside into a quivering pile of useless bits and bytes. The fact that 90 percent of the users who access the sites they design either can't see the text because of awful colour combinations, or simply can't access the site at all because the gimmicks froze their browser, is simply collateral damage.

Behold, the wonder and horror of Bud Ugly Design.

You're Welcome.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 02:56:16 PM »
What's worse are the $@%! tv stations that run moving text, network logos, and other garbage along the bottom of the screen ("Chyrons") even when they're "showing" video of some story . . .sometimes their cr@pola runs across the entire lower third of the picture.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »
Ah, yes, backward compatibility...

And they keep miniaturizing stuff....

Agreed about the chyrons.  TMI. Name sounds like a Siren of Hell. Seems like everybody keeps stretchalizing the English language as if that were their ticket to fame and guaranteed their uniqueivityness.

Terry, 1 of 7.88 billion

Pic credits in properties
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:33:04 PM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »
Yeah, agreed, and Youtube puts little "coming attractions" windows up right at the end of a good video, usually right where the best part of the video finishes off.

Growl.

Where's my sphygmomanometer?  That kind of stuff really pumps up my sphygmo.

I might have to get one calibrated in PSI instead of those girly millimeters of mercury.

I've been running an extension in Firefox for a few weeks that blocks ads and stops those "coming attractions" windows on YouTube.  It's called "Enhancer for YouTube", and it works pretty well.  It can apparently do a number of things to improve your YT experience, but I just left the default settings in place.  I haven't seen any ads or suggested video windows since it was installed.  It does delay the start of some YT videos by a few seconds while it figures things out, but it isn't annoying at all.
It works with Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Opera from what I see on the googlz.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 09:49:09 AM »
Ah, yes, backward compatibility...

And they keep miniaturizing stuff....

Agreed about the chyrons.  TMI. Name sounds like a Siren of Hell. Seems like everybody keeps stretchalizing the English language as if that were their ticket to fame and guaranteed their uniqueivityness.

Terry, 1 of 7.88 billion

Pic credits in properties

Okay, I need to find a couple of miniature abacus (abaci?) for my nieces who are in college. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:51 AM »
Gonna try that "Enhancer for YouTube"!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 10:47:35 AM »
Terry, where does the slide rule fit in all of this?  [popcorn]

Oh, yeah, and don't forget paper and pencil!  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 02:52:07 PM »
Oh, nothing wrong with slide rules, I just went past them for brevity's sake since they involve showing that logarthms multiply by adding exponents, as in 102 + 103  = 105.  (100 X 1000 = 100000.) All the scales of a slide rule do is mechanically add or subtract logarithmic distances on the scales by sliding the scales around.

Also didn't mention Friden calculators or Babbage's Difference Engine.

Or pencil-and-paper since that generates a bunch of posts on Asimov's story "The Feeling Of Power."

My posts tend to be prolix anyhow.

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feeling_of_Power#Plot_summary
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:27:23 PM by 230RN »

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 09:42:11 PM »
Oh, nothing wrong with slide rules, I just went past them for brevity's sake since they involve showing that logarthms multiply by adding exponents, as in 102 + 103  = 105.  (100 X 1000 = 100000.) All the scales of a slide rule do is mechanically add or subtract logarithmic distances on the scales by sliding the scales around.

Also didn't mention Friden calculators or Babbage's Difference Engine.

Or pencil-and-paper since that generates a bunch of posts on Asimov's story "The Feeling Of Power."

My posts tend to be prolix anyhow.

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feeling_of_Power#Plot_summary

That's OK by me. It's nice to listen to a sesquipedalian now and again, too.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood