Author Topic: Sauerkraut Soup  (Read 977 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Sauerkraut Soup
« on: February 01, 2021, 08:16:42 AM »
Ran across this recipe and it struck me as a possible win.

Pretty straightforward, chop everything up and put it in a pot with the rest of the ingredients.

It was too much to put in my slow cooker so I ended up cooking it in my cast iron Dutch oven. It was in the oven at 325 for about 4 hours.

I used fresh sauerkraut, a local brand, Bobak's. I was hoping to get Bobak's smoked sausage also but they didn't have any. I opted for a Polish brand I was unfamiliar with. Next time I'll plan ahead and get the Bobak's.  I used a red potato as they seem to hold up well in soups. Picked up a rotisserie chicken while getting the rest of the ingredients. It does call for a can of condensed mushroom soup and I opted for a healthy organic brand that seemed to have identifiable ingredients. Towards the end of the cook time I didn't feel it had enough liquid so I added more chicken broth.

Like most cabbage or sauerkraut recipes I've made, the aroma as it was cooking wasn't inspiring  :lol:

Once the veggies were properly cooked I ladled myself a bowl and buttered up some rye bread.

OK, it was pretty fricking good. At first I wasn't so sure but then as I was eating I had to tell myself to slow down.

It was a perfect comfort meal for a real snowy messy day.

Here is the recipe, it's a slow cooker recipe. As mentioned I just popped it in the oven.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooked-sauerkraut-soup/

Ingredients
1 medium potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
4 cups chicken broth
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup cubed cooked chicken
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons dill weed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 to 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Directions
1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Skim fat. Garnish with bacon.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Sauerkraut Soup
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
I've made sauerkraut soup for years, normally with sausage or left over shredded pork and frequently using my homemade sauerkraut.

But, I am not too crazy about the idea of adding cream of mushroom soup to it, though. I don't think I'd like that very much at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Sauerkraut Soup
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »
I've made sauerkraut soup for years, normally with sausage or left over shredded pork and frequently using my homemade sauerkraut.

But, I am not too crazy about the idea of adding cream of mushroom soup to it, though. I don't think I'd like that very much at all.

It disappears, not sure why it is even in there truth be told. The broth looks clear vs creamy. I think you could skip it and it wouldn't be noticeable.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.