Author Topic: Samizdat video?  (Read 738 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Samizdat video?
« on: January 31, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
Over the past few years I've been spending a lot of time either listening to YouTube content in the background, or actively watching it. A lot of it was political stuff, but I don't even want to know about that anymore. And I'm losing patience with their little "Biden is your president" propaganda reminders on every political video.  ;/

Please post any alternative channels (such as BitChute) you've found, for podcasts, commentary, comedy, documentaries, etc.

I got pretty obsessed with these guys:

https://www.byutv.org/player/2df0eb56-259a-4678-a24a-b70f78ec7285/studio-c-taken-3-exclusive-trailer-hd

Since the original cast left BYU TV, their stuff is behind a paywall at Patreon, or on YouMustObeyTube.

https://youtu.be/8JTJx6MVFTA
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Samizdat video?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 03:07:59 PM »
If I can horn in on Perd's thread, I'd like to additionally ask what people find to be the most efficient way to locally save the youtubz videos.

While I too am sick of their background propaganda, I also worry about censorship. I have quite a few videos saved to my favorites, including some really good reference videos on all kinds of how-to stuff. Much of it is from people that are persona non grata these days, and I have already lost some good reference videos in the last couple of years because the user's channel was banned for not being woke. I'd like to archive what I have left before some of that content disappears as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 03:25:59 PM »
If I can horn in on Perd's thread, I'd like to additionally ask what people find to be the most efficient way to locally save the youtubz videos.

While I too am sick of their background propaganda, I also worry about censorship. I have quite a few videos saved to my favorites, including some really good reference videos on all kinds of how-to stuff. Much of it is from people that are persona non grata these days, and I have already lost some good reference videos in the last couple of years because the user's channel was banned for not being woke. I'd like to archive what I have left before some of that content disappears as well.

I've had luck with a Firefox extension called Video DownloadHelper in the past. I would guess there's always an ongoing battle between such things and YouTube trying to prevent them from working, so I couldn't vouch for its efficacy now.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
I've used 4k Video Downloader in the past, but haven't used it lately.  It worked well before, but I don't know if YouTube has managed to break it yet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »
Followed.  I too am curious about saving stuff locally from youtube. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »

https://youtube-dl.org/ .  Linux and Windows, command line.

I can also use it to extract audio from an online video.

I've had luck with a Firefox extension called Video DownloadHelper in the past. I would guess there's always an ongoing battle between such things and YouTube trying to prevent them from working, so I couldn't vouch for its efficacy now.

Youtube-dl is frequently updated.

I prefer to get it directly from the website, rather than the Linux distribution's package repository.  The repository version is often not up to date.  If youtube-dl throws up an error, upgrade with "sudo youtube-dl -U".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »
I've been using y2mate . com  It's cloud based, will save the entire video in different resolutions or just the audio.  They also have an online MP3 converter, which I've found handy for burning CDs to use in the truck.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything regarding the OP.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 08:30:41 PM »
4k Video Downloader works well on my Win 10 notebook
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 08:51:39 PM »
The Avast browser (which is basically Chrome with additional security) has a built-in video download utility, which works well.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 10:08:22 PM »

New Pipe app for phone

https://newpipe.net/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 11:12:30 PM »
I bought a piece of software called PlayOn a year or so back.

Turns my computer into a DVR for streaming content.  I can record anything I have a streaming subscription to.  Youtube, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon, HBOMax, etc.

I have a copy of the Mandalorian episode that has "Jeans Guy" in it.  Disney edited that guy out after the mistake was noticed.  You watch that episode now, he's gone.  But now I have it in perpetuity.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 12:02:46 AM »
Well, I'll consider this thread well and truly horned in upon. Ya jabronies.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 08:24:14 AM »
Well, I'll consider this thread well and truly horned in upon. Ya jabronies.  :P

It's not my fault they found my question more interesting. Maybe you should have been holding your microphone, so they could hear you. :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."