Author Topic: Yet another stupid boundary dispute leads to death.  (Read 2475 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Yet another stupid boundary dispute leads to death.
« on: February 03, 2021, 10:39:30 PM »
Three dead because people just can't let things go.

Why let something like this get to this point?

It wasn't the snow-shovelling directly, it was a long-simmering feud that ended that night.

I don't what the local authorities could have done to mitigate the behavior of either party previous to this incident but maybe at least try?

Maybe there's an NGO that could help out?

Maybe get together with some neighbors to act as intermediaries to smooth things over?

I don't have a definite answer for solving the issue, but I do know that gunning down two people and then killing yourself is NOT the answer.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Yet another stupid boundary dispute leads to death.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 10:46:46 PM »
Why we can't have nice things reason #542,440,026
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 01:27:01 AM »
Never mind -- please delete
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:47:23 AM »
If words didn't do it, filming the snow dumping and calling the local constabulary would have been my next step.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 08:08:47 AM »
If words didn't do it, filming the snow dumping and calling the local constabulary would have been my next step.

Not justifying capping the couple at all, but in many places that would be useless.  Cops are often very busy with real crimes.  They *might* come take a report, but they are unlikely to do anything substantive over a civil matter.  Petty crimes just don't get cops attention more than a report and/or stern warning.  At least that's been my experience.

He could have sued the couple, but that would be expensive, and you would need to show damages.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:34 AM »
So would that be the equivilent of dumping raked leaves on someone else's yard?  No experience with shoveling snow myself. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 09:18:28 AM »
So would that be the equivilent of dumping raked leaves on someone else's yard?  No experience with shoveling snow myself.

It's similar.  The difference is the snow will go away on its own.

Did the neighbor have anywhere else to put the snow, and what part of the yard were they putting it on?  IMHO it might be quite reasonable to shovel snow onto the edge of someone else's yard but they should offer something in return.  (help them shovel the end of their driveway, bring over fresh cookies, or something like that)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 11:01:27 AM »
That's just messed up. I've never heard of any complaining about snow being dumped in their yard unless it buries what was shoveled/blown or need to be shoveled/blown.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:27:19 AM »
All we are hearing about is the triggering event and outcome.

We don't know anything about the actual cause(s) that led to the final outcome.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 11:42:28 AM »
My guess is that it's something that's been going on for years between them, and with a little bit of crazy on both sides.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 06:21:31 PM »
My guess is that it's something that's been going on for years between them, and with a little bit of crazy on both sides.

It probably started with a fence or a barking dog. Those seem to be common points of contention.

bob

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 08:12:11 PM »
Violent video.

https://thetruedefender.com/video-man-murders-two-pa-neighbors-over-snow-shoveling-disputeall-caught-on-camera/

It seems someone's mouth wrote a check their ass couldn't cash. Or do we want to use the poke a sleeping bear analogy? Either was this was building for a while it seems.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
He didn't just shoot them in the heat of the moment he flat out made sure they were dead.

For those who may not want to watch the video, and you may not, he first comes out with a hand gun and shoots both of them and then goes back into his house and brings out what appears to be an AR and shoots them again with the rifle. After he goes back into his house you can hear a gunshot
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:37:36 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 08:34:57 PM »
Also I should add he appears to point the rifle at two men who showed up to help the two on the ground while he was in his house getting the rifle  and they take off
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:50:50 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »
He didn't just shoot them in the heat of the moment he flat out made sure they were dead.

For those who may not want to watch the video, and you may not, he first comes out with a hand gun and shoots both of them and then goes back into his house and brings out what appears to be an AR and shoots them again with the rifle. After he goes back into his house you can hear a gunshot

That's the SECOND thing he did.  The first thing he did was come out unarmed and got in a shouting match and was verbally antagonized.  Then when he came out for the second time, with a gun, they continued to antagonize him until he opened fire.

Don't leave out precipitating events and facts when summarizing a video for other people.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 09:15:34 PM »
That's the SECOND thing he did.  The first thing he did was come out unarmed and got in a shouting match and was verbally antagonized.  Don't leave out precipitating events and facts when summarizing a video for other people.

That wasn't my intent. The intent was to summarize why it may disturb some

But yelling back and forte is no excuse to what amounted to an execution of two people
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »
That wasn't my intent.

But yelling back and forte is no excuse to what amounted to an execution of two people

And continuing to curse at someone pointing a gun at you giving you one last chance to shut up is just plain retarded.  Zero self preservation instinct in both of them.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 09:21:11 PM »
And continuing to curse at someone pointing a gun at you giving you one last chance to shut up is just plain retarded.  Zero self preservation instinct in both of them.

No argument there, but still not an excuse
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 09:23:07 PM »
No argument there, but still not an excuse

I don't think anyone has made any.  Pointing out how two people utterly failed is not the same as declaring their demise was just.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 09:25:09 PM »
My intent was to summarize why the video may disturb some, that is all. It actually disturbed me more than most with the way he coldly executed both of them
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 09:31:04 PM »
My intent was to summarize why the video may disturb some, that is all. It actually disturbed me more than most with the way he coldly executed both of them

Not the descriptor I'd use either.  He was clearly enraged based on what he yelled at them during the coup de gras.  Cold blooded is reserved for calculated/premeditated murder.  If he hadn't killed himself this would be Murder 2 or whatever the local unpremeditated murder statute is.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 09:35:15 PM »
Not the descriptor I'd use either.  He was clearly enraged based on what he yelled at them during the coup de gras.  Cold blooded is reserved for calculated/premeditated murder.  If he hadn't killed himself this would be Murder 2 or whatever the local unpremeditated murder statute is.

He went beck and got another gun after emptying the handgun and then proceeded to stand over and shoot both while they were on the ground. That's a cold blooded execution in my book.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 09:38:10 PM »

Yup. This is not something someone deserves to be shot over, but the - I won't call them victims - the first two deceased appear to have been idiots. According to the article, this wasn't just shoveling snow into your neighbor's bordering yard. It said they shoveled the snow all the way across the street to put it in his yard.

From what I saw, they had big mouths daring him to shoot them. When the guy's pointing the gun at you, maybe it's time to STFU.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 09:38:35 PM »
He went beck and got another gun after emptying the handgun and then proceeded to stand over and shoot both while they were on the ground. I would call a cold blooded psychotically angry execution.

"All you had to do was shut your mou--BANG BANG!!"  Dude was seriously pissed off.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 09:43:24 PM »
I just view the fact he took the time to go get another gun for clearly no other purpose than to make sure they were dead as cold blooded. Maybe I'm just using the term a bit differently from you but I think we're more on the same page than you think. 
- Calvin and Hobbes