Author Topic: Weather zones and living life.  (Read 2419 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Weather zones and living life.
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:31:13 PM »
I used to live in the desert southwest where the weather was uniformly nice.  Get up and put on shorts and a T shirt and you were good to go.  Sandals were optional depending on the day's activities.  Before that I lived in the Northeast where we got 12 feet of snow in the winter and you kept a snow shovel in the house to dig your way out.  A friend once asked about coming to visit in the summer and I replied, "That depends on what weekend summer is this year."  Now I am in between and it rains or snows so often the average precipitation is in excess of 58" a year with the last three being in excess.  There is no point trying to do any projects because by the time you get the materials and tools out, it's either raining, or snowing again.  Any free time you might have is spent mowing grass after it has rained, or after the every day dew has evaporated.

Today is the aftermath of an ice storm that went through and shut everything down in anticipation of the storm.  It doesn't matter if the storm ever happens, just a prediction of the possibility of a weather event shuts everything down.  The schools have "it might happen" days in the school calendar.  I looked at the clock and it's still on.  Looked out the window and the propane tanks for backup heat are still on the front porch, along with the gas for the generator, which means nobody came by and stole them as was predicted along with the storm.  We don't get the blizzards the lake zone gets, the tornados the midwest and south gets, the hurricanes the coast gets, or the forest fires the northwest gets, or the range fires the southwest gets, we just get rain or snow often enough to keep everything wet and rusty.  The bright side is this a conservative state and no one is stepping on my rights just yet.  With any luck that will hold up for awhile even if the weather doesn't.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Weather zones and living life.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 12:35:18 PM »
Hey welcome back!!!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 12:43:46 PM »
We got ~1/2" of ice, south of Louisville places got over an inch. Some guy in a PU just went sideways though the 4 way stop and through a neighbor's yard
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 02:29:02 PM »
We got ~1/2" of ice, south of Louisville places got over an inch. Some guy in a PU just went sideways though the 4 way stop and through a neighbor's yard

You are in Ky or Southern In. then?  We got maybe a quarter inch of ice on the trees but no big problems other than that.  People usually do think their driving ability is better than it is.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 02:31:13 PM »
You are in Ky or Southern In. then?  We got maybe a quarter inch of ice on the trees but no big problems other than that.  People usually do think their driving ability is better than it is.

Louisville
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
Louisville

I'm 30 miles south.  Only time I do Louville is for the VA.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 02:53:40 PM »

Pickups ain't got no rear traction.  So it keeps going while the front is stopping.

If PUs had wings they'd call it a ground loop.

Rogers on that.

=D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:11:20 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 03:13:17 PM »
There was a huge pile-up on I-35W near Ft. Worth today.  Around 100 cars involved and at least 5 deaths.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-worth-texas-vehicle-freeway-crash-fatalities-injuries
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »
There was a huge pile-up on I-35W near Ft. Worth today.  Around 100 cars involved and at least 5 deaths.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-worth-texas-vehicle-freeway-crash-fatalities-injuries

Is it just me or has the weather become a national thing in the last few years.  It seems like weather systems used to be fairly localized events, now there is an ice storm all the way from at least Texas to the east into Kentucky and probably further east if I read the regional news.  It is the jet streams or the weather machines they have now? :facepalm:

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »
Global warming, obviously.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »
Hey welcome back!!!
Thanks, now if I can stay under the radar we should be good. :old:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »
Global warming, obviously.

The fault lies with Algore (and Perd Haply).
We shut down global warming so hard we are now back to heading into another ice age.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 07:51:03 PM »
Actually the air is so clear now we are getting more sun in places causing the climate to change due to Kung flu.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 07:53:47 PM »
Pickups ain't got no traction in back, keeps going faster than front.

If pickups had wings they'd probably call it a ground loop.

=D

Nap time.  Me go now.

Why many people when it snows they shovel a bunch of snow into the bed of their truck
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 08:31:51 PM »
I have a half chord of hardwood in mine along with several 40 lb bags of salt for added traction.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 08:38:46 PM »
Thanks, now if I can stay under the radar we should be good. :old:

Don't jump too high ;)

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 10:18:06 PM »
Why many people when it snows they shovel a bunch of snow into the bed of their truck

Extra weight in the bed of a pickup helps with traction when it slick and sloppy. By the time you don't need it anymore it might have melted away.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 11:35:21 PM »
Shoveling salted snow into the bed of a truck has a downside.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 12:27:46 AM »
I put bags of portland cement in the back of my pickup, behind the wheel wells.  Poke a few little holes in the top of the bag so the snow can get in and set up.  Tall skinny tires help too, but now that all trucks have 17" or larger wheels I don't know if that's really an option anymore.  (7.5-16 or 215/85-16 are ideal for ice and snow.  Fat tires are for mud)

Sometime next week, I'll be driving from MN to SE Texas. (not in a pickup)  The roads have not been good enough to attempt that for about a week now; the bad section just moves around from one state to another.  I sure hope it clears out by Tuesday or Wednesday.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 12:34:07 AM »
We’re in a cold snap.  Nights getting down to the 25F range.  Days still hitting 40ish.  Not sure how we survive.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 07:39:49 AM »
Shoveling salted snow into the bed of a truck has a downside.

Why use salted snow?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:56:17 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 07:46:18 AM »
Weather service is predicting possibility of serious ice this weekend. Just lovely... not even my Subaru will navigate ice properly.

If it does start to ice, Seren is staying in day care. No way am I going to try to walk her on glaze. I'm old enough that I don't bounce when I fall anymore.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 09:36:25 AM »
I put bags of portland cement in the back of my pickup, behind the wheel wells.  Poke a few little holes in the top of the bag so the snow can get in and set up.  Tall skinny tires help too, but now that all trucks have 17" or larger wheels I don't know if that's really an option anymore.  (7.5-16 or 215/85-16 are ideal for ice and snow.  Fat tires are for mud)

Sometime next week, I'll be driving from MN to SE Texas. (not in a pickup)  The roads have not been good enough to attempt that for about a week now; the bad section just moves around from one state to another.  I sure hope it clears out by Tuesday or Wednesday.

If by cleared  out you mean subzero temps and blizzard conditions you are in luck..

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »
Why use salted snow?

Sometimes it's presalted by street plow truck before you can scoop your drive and walks. All depends where you live.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 10:43:29 AM »
Sometimes it's presalted by street plow truck before you can scoop your drive and walks. All depends where you live.

The city salts your drive and walks? Never seen that. Besides your truck, including, the bed, is getting a good salt spray  just driving down the highway
- Calvin and Hobbes