Author Topic: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control  (Read 62496 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Looks like Biden is Ready to Move on Gun Control
« Reply #700 on: July 07, 2022, 03:08:40 PM »
Member of Congress calling on CEOs of gun manufacturers to appear before congress.
They are calling on them to provide info on how much profit they make selling weapons of war to civilians.

Witch Hunt: Congress To Question 2A CEOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prONnzzUO8E

OK, as long as members of Congress also disclose how much money they have made owning stock in defense contractors whose weapons of war are used on civilians.  I wouldn't let those petty narcissists sit up there and pretend their hands are clean.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #701 on: July 07, 2022, 03:20:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure none of them would do it, but I would LOVE to see one (or more) of these CEOs just get up and walk out as soon as Schumer or Swalwell or whoever get into one of their finger waving tirades.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #702 on: July 07, 2022, 11:04:11 PM »
Bearing Arms has picked up the story with more details

Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.), the committee’s chairwoman, on Wednesday sent letters to Marty Daniel, the CEO of Daniel Defense, Mark Smith, the president and CEO of Smith & Wesson Brands, and Christopher Killoy, the president and CEO of Sturm, Ruger & Co., requesting testimony as a part of a second hearing hosted by the committee examining the firearms industry.

Daniel Defense is the maker of the DDM4 rifle the gunman used to kill 19 children and two adults at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Tex., and a shooter on Monday used a Smith & Wesson M&P semiautomatic rifle to kill at least seven people and wound dozens of others during a July Fourth parade in Highland Park, Ill.

The July 20 hearing comes after Maloney launched an investigation into gun manufacturers in May. Maloney requested information from five manufacturers regarding the making, sale and marketing of deadly weapons used in mass shootings that were purchased legally and used by the gunmen responsible for the carnage in Uvalde, Highland Park and Buffalo.

Maloney requested each company’s gross revenue and profit from sales of semiautomatic rifles based on AR-15-style guns, annual spending on advertising and marketing of these rifles, annual spending on federal and state lobbying, and funding provided to the National Rifle Association. Maloney cites new financial information that has been provided to the committee so far as reason for the CEOs to appear.

“The information you provided has heightened the Committee’s concern that your company is continuing to profit from the sale and marketing of weapons of war to civilians despite the harm these weapons cause, is failing to track instances or patterns where your products are used in crimes, and is failing to take other reasonable precautions to limit injuries and deaths caused by your firearms,” Maloney wrote in a letter to Killoy, provided to The Washington Post.

House Dems target gun makers with public hearing
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/07/07/house-dems-target-gun-makers-with-public-hearing-n60165
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #703 on: July 07, 2022, 11:17:19 PM »
They're getting no traction with the January 6 show trial, so now they'll try a different show trial.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #704 on: July 08, 2022, 10:12:59 AM »
They're getting no traction with the January 6 show trial, so now they'll try a different show trial.

The only thing congress is good for nowadays is show trials.

Are they going to call up abortion clinic admins and ask them how many babies they have killed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:19:57 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #705 on: July 08, 2022, 11:18:39 AM »
The only thing congress is good for nowadays is show trials.

Are they going to call up abortion clinic admins and ask them how many babies they have the killed.

... or how much money they made from selling body parts?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #706 on: July 08, 2022, 11:20:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure none of them would do it, but I would LOVE to see one (or more) of these CEOs just get up and walk out as soon as Schumer or Swalwell or whoever get into one of their finger waving tirades.
It would make better theater for one or more of them to take out a newspaper and start reading it. (Better if they could find one with an unflattering headline about some prominent democrat.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #707 on: July 08, 2022, 11:22:15 AM »
It would make better theater for one or more of them to take out a newspaper and start reading it. (Better if they could find one with an unflattering headline about some prominent democrat.)

Just bring up on a screen the heyjackass website.
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #708 on: July 08, 2022, 12:39:49 PM »

Does The Epoch Times have a print version?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #709 on: July 08, 2022, 01:09:29 PM »

I was hoping Alex Jones would have ignored their questions and start asking about questionable things in the congrescritters past. That would have been much more entertaining.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #710 on: July 09, 2022, 08:08:42 AM »
Looks like Oregon is jumping on the bandwagon with a petition with more signatures than it needs. Among other things, magazine limits. Given the Portland-centric population, I would expect this to pass.

If it does, it will be a pain in my ass. I go to OR a lot, and have an OR permit. I'll need to, with my crappy old guy memory, continually have to remember to switch to 1911s when I go there, or buy otherwise useless ten round mags for some of my other carry guns.

https://www.kivitv.com/news/backers-of-oregon-gun-safety-measure-hope-for-fall-ballot

Edit: Actually, if this passes, it sounds like I'll probably lose my non-resident permit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 08:23:41 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #711 on: July 10, 2022, 02:32:34 AM »
Does The Epoch Times have a print version?
YES!!
I was reading one today, some one leaves them at my fave laundromat
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #712 on: July 10, 2022, 09:14:22 AM »
Edit: Actually, if this passes, it sounds like I'll probably lose my non-resident permit.

Wow, I didn't think any Oregon sheriffs were issuing a non-resident permit any more.  This comes up periodically on the Washington fora and I think Douglas county may have been the only ones doing so recently.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #713 on: July 10, 2022, 09:22:39 AM »
Wow, I didn't think any Oregon sheriffs were issuing a non-resident permit any more.  This comes up periodically on the Washington fora and I think Douglas county may have been the only ones doing so recently.

It seems to be very fluid, and also changes as new sheriffs are voted in. My current permit is restricted to "Idaho residents in adjoining counties". If I was one county further East, I probably wouldn't have one. Back when I was in CA, Grant county was handing them out like candy, and that's where I got mine back then. They were even sending deputies to CA gun shows with their fingerprint machine and laptop. That sheriff was voted out a few years ago.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #714 on: July 10, 2022, 09:58:43 AM »
So I just posted on a couple of Washington gun boards, and the consensus is that no one currently in Oregon is issuing a permit to Washington residents.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #715 on: July 10, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »
So I just posted on a couple of Washington gun boards, and the consensus is that no one currently in Oregon is issuing a permit to Washington residents.

For kicks, I just checked out the Sheriff's website, and they have apparently become MORE lenient, which was surprising to me:

If you are interested in obtaining an Oregon Concealed Handgun License from the Malheur County Sheriffs Office you must live in Malheur County, Idaho or Nevada and meet all Oregon legislative requirements.

It appears they no longer restrict by county. WA is still out of luck though.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #716 on: July 13, 2022, 10:36:26 PM »
False Flag or not?
I'm leaning toward yes

Anti-semitic leaflets blame Jews for gun control
https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/2022/07/13/anti-semitic-leaflets-n60349
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #717 on: July 14, 2022, 12:03:44 PM »
I doubt it.  Neo-nazis have been blaming jews for control for years.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #718 on: July 14, 2022, 12:08:54 PM »
I doubt it.  Neo-nazis have been blaming jews for control for years.

Yeah, but the target audience seems a bit too convenient for use by the MSM.
I get suspicious when things fit too nicely into place whether left or right.
Just my nature.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #719 on: July 15, 2022, 12:32:49 PM »
Nadler and friends expected to introduce an "assault" weapons ban bill next week.
Bearing Arms gives it almost zero chance.
Still bears watching though

Nadler: House Democrats will mark up gun ban bill next week
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/07/15/nadler-house-democrats-will-mark-up-gun-ban-bill-next-week-n60466

- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #720 on: July 15, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »
If the Supreme Court starts overturning AW bans... what will the Democrats start doing to replace them?  Adding them to the NFA?  Requiring them to be stored in safes?  Obscene licensing requirements? The Supremes have shown zero interest in stopping licensing requirements.

I don't see how this is going to end.   =|

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #721 on: July 15, 2022, 04:14:11 PM »
If the Supreme Court starts overturning AW bans... what will the Democrats start doing to replace them?  Adding them to the NFA?  Requiring them to be stored in safes?  Obscene licensing requirements? The Supremes have shown zero interest in stopping licensing requirements.

Which licensing requirements?  Do you mean tax stamps requirements? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #722 on: July 15, 2022, 07:13:18 PM »
Which licensing requirements?  Do you mean tax stamps requirements?

I am talking about gun licensing in general...

The Supreme Court appears to be okay with gun licensing (for a "right" that is supposedly not second class).

Some licensing requirements right now are obscene; for example to get a permit to own a pistol in New York is horrid.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #723 on: July 15, 2022, 07:34:04 PM »

The Dems will ignore the rulings and crush any challengers with the weight of the big blue states and cities
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #724 on: July 15, 2022, 07:37:31 PM »
I am talking about gun licensing in general...

The Supreme Court appears to be okay with gun licensing (for a "right" that is supposedly not second class).

Some licensing requirements right now are obscene; for example to get a permit to own a pistol in New York is horrid.

Not sure how they are okay with it after Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections  (1966.  I had to look it up. That's the one that abolished the poll tax.)  Other than Thomas is the only one that understands that RKBA is a fundamental and enumerated right, just as much and perhaps more-so than voting.
"It's good, though..."