Author Topic: I'm almost a man  (Read 12997 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: I'm almost a man
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2007, 07:53:56 AM »
Hmm... missed this for a few days.

My car will indeed go forward in 1st w/no gas.  About 10mph as a matter of fact.  Handbrake usage is restricted to parking.  I have an remote car starter, so I usually leave it in neutral with the hand brake set.

As for hills, I learned on some rather steep ones.  Trying to partially engage the clutch to hold positon while on adding any gas or holding the brake would result in a stall.

My technique is to quickly release the brake and step on the gas(don't floor it).  Then I gradually(though quickly) release the clutch to start pulling forward.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
That's an awful lot of work.  shocked

I just gently roll back, holding the brake, until my bumper is stopped by the car behind me.

I then put her in gear and drive away.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2007, 11:21:13 AM »
Hmm... missed this for a few days.

My car will indeed go forward in 1st w/no gas.  About 10mph as a matter of fact.  Handbrake usage is restricted to parking.  I have an remote car starter, so I usually leave it in neutral with the hand brake set.

How do you get that past inspection?

As I understand it, in Virginia and a couple of other states, a remote starter on a manual transmission car is an immediate inspection failure.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2007, 12:31:33 PM »
What's a car inspection?   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"