Author Topic: 8 dead in 3 separate shootings in Georgia  (Read 3707 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: 8 dead in 3 separate shootings in Georgia
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2021, 10:39:23 AM »
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2021/03/asian-americans-buying-guns-hate-crimes/?fbclid=IwAR2Xj8u9GchyYOri0MIvLoYX0H-tGCsvBUzVgc26UuxOxcVPTvhhFT_cHXE

I, for one, welcome our new gunowner colleagues.

My ex-wife who just so happens to be Chinese called a couple of days ago about buying a gun.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 11:24:38 AM »
^^^ So what did you recommend to her?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »

Really hesitant to get involved. It's really a sticky situation I would prefer to avoid with her.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 12:06:04 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2021, 11:51:56 AM »

Helping one's ex pick a gun: rarely a good idea.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »
Helping one's ex pick a gun: rarely a good idea.

You're probably right; I am always interested in hearing the opinions of experts for recommending something to novice shooters.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
You're probably right; I am always interested in hearing the opinions of experts for recommending something to novice shooters.

For someone like her, someone who's not a gun person and probably will never be a gun person, the simpler the better along the lines like a 38sp revolver. She would probably have trouble racking the slide on a SA as well.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 12:44:02 PM »
But I would say not the small snub nose revolver but one a little larger.  Maybe a 357 mag revolver shooting 38 special.  I guess there are other options like 327 mag. 

Ruger and S&W have snub nose revolvers that have an 8 round 22 LR cylinder.  Not ideal, but it goes bang and puts holes in stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 12:53:25 PM »
For a novice more oriented towards revolvers, depending on their price range and product availability, I am recommending a three inch Taurus 856 or Ruger SP-101.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
For a novice more oriented towards revolvers, depending on their price range and product availability, I am recommending a three inch Taurus 856 or Ruger SP-101.

How are the triggers on those? For someone small and of the fairer sex, if I were looking at revolvers, I would look at something with an LCR kinda trigger.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 01:08:28 PM »
But I would say not the small snub nose revolver but one a little larger.  Maybe a 357 mag revolver shooting 38 special.  I guess there are other options like 327 mag. 

Ruger and S&W have snub nose revolvers that have an 8 round 22 LR cylinder.  Not ideal, but it goes bang and puts holes in stuff.

.327 Federal Magnum might be a bit "brisk" for someone who is new to guns and shooting. It's also rather loud.

A nice "feature" of .327 Magnum is that it also shoots four other, less powerful cartridges. Unfortunately, they are all .32 caliber (:duh:) and none of them are likely to be found anywhere, at any price in today's market.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
A Smith hammerless Airweight (not the scandium one) .38 SPL with a laser sight on it.... but practice using the iron sights.  Serious, but not overwhelming power, and safe, since there are only two ways to get it to fire:  (1) a long deliberate trigger pull or (2) throw it in a good fire for a about ten minutes.

The scandium/titanium version of it is way too light and has a punishing kick, which inspired me to think that if a gun were as light as its bullet, it would be just as dangerous on the back end as the front end.

Or, depending on the nature of your present relationship, recommend a Bryco or Jennings.

, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:51:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 01:47:25 PM »
How are the triggers on those? For someone small and of the fairer sex, if I were looking at revolvers, I would look at something with an LCR kinda trigger.

I have a .38 LCR that I am fond of. But due to the light weight, I don't think of it as a first choice for the novice. I have both SP-101s and Taurus 85s and think the triggers are fine for the intended use.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2021, 03:08:31 PM »
Revolvers are not always a good choice for small, weak people.  The trigger pull weight is often too heavy to overcome for people with weak fingers.  Instead, look for a small, light semi-auto, such as the S&W Shield EZ, which has an easy-to-rack slide.

Think about this: Which would be easier to do for a small, weak person?

1. Pull a heavy trigger with one finger while keeping the gun on target and do it under stress.
2. Push-pull the slide of a semi-auto using both hands and do it without the stress.

I consider myself to be an above-average shooter.  I've had plenty of training and practice with all sorts of guns, including pistols and revolvers.  I have never been able to shoot a revolver as well as I shoot a pistol and that is primarily because of the heavy and long trigger pull.  Light triggers were invented for a reason, you know.

The downside is that the pistol is more likely than the revolver to have a malfunction.  But is it more likely to malfunction when she needs it most vs more likely that she will have a difficult time pulling the revolver's trigger when she needs that most?

Have her test drive a few varieties if she wants. 

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2021, 10:12:29 PM »

I don't see the 3" SP101s very often.  I have yet to see one of the 3 inch Taurus Defender 856-s, and don't see too many reports of people actually having them. 

I have a .38 LCR that I am fond of. But due to the light weight, I don't think of it as a first choice for the novice. I have both SP-101s and Taurus 85s and think the triggers are fine for the intended use.

I picked up an LCRx .38 in February.  Have had it out to shoot a couple times.  Nice piece.  In a bunch of ways I think it's better made than my S&W 642.  The sole downside so far is that the Safariland speedloaders that work for the j-frame and small frame Taurus, don't work for the LCR. 

Soo, for this use, LCRx, 3", in .357.  Gets you the longer sight radius, adjustable sight, a bit of extra weight (steel frame vs. aluminum), and a longer soft rubber grip than the snubby.  The DA pull is nice, but you have a manually cockable hammer if needed.  Shoot your .38 of choice through it.  Mild shooting target wadcutters are getting much love these days for this purpose, in some circles.  Federal makes an interesting variant of that, but good luck finding any right now.

A Smith hammerless Airweight (not the scandium one) .38 SPL with a laser sight on it.... but practice using the iron sights.

And if you got the money for it, add the lasergrip.  The laser can be a huge help with dry fire practice.  Learn to run the trigger without moving the dot.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:29:45 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 11:11:16 PM »
Actually. the way I do it is to practice the DA letoff as the dot sweeps across the target.  But to each his own.  I also have a guitar excercise dealy to keep my fingers up to snuff.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 11:32:14 PM »
My ex-wife who just so happens to be Chinese called a couple of days ago about buying a gun.

Recommending a small caliber will increase your chances of survival.  =)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »
Every time I think we've reached peak stupidity another even high mountain of stupid comes into view
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »
Revolvers are not always a good choice for small, weak people.  The trigger pull weight is often too heavy to overcome for people with weak fingers.  Instead, look for a small, light semi-auto, such as the S&W Shield EZ, which has an easy-to-rack slide.

Think about this: Which would be easier to do for a small, weak person?

1. Pull a heavy trigger with one finger while keeping the gun on target and do it under stress.
2. Push-pull the slide of a semi-auto using both hands and do it without the stress.

I consider myself to be an above-average shooter.  I've had plenty of training and practice with all sorts of guns, including pistols and revolvers.  I have never been able to shoot a revolver as well as I shoot a pistol and that is primarily because of the heavy and long trigger pull.  Light triggers were invented for a reason, you know.

The downside is that the pistol is more likely than the revolver to have a malfunction.  But is it more likely to malfunction when she needs it most vs more likely that she will have a difficult time pulling the revolver's trigger when she needs that most?

Have her test drive a few varieties if she wants.
IMO, everyone is a little different and you just need to figure out what they can handle. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2021, 10:25:50 AM »
If I see a 3 inch LCRx in .357 at a LGS, I will be snatching that up.  Suffice it to say that I have not seen one yet, and I never find them in stock at Bud's, either.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »
Been kind of looking for a 9mm revolver.  Two reasons.
1) 9mm out of a 2-3" barrel actually out performs 357. 357 needs a 4" and up barrel to get moving. ~4" 357 takes over.
2) I have a bunch of 9mm, 38sp and 357 very little and zip
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2021, 10:41:25 AM »
^^^Another one I am keeping an eye out for: the Taurus 692, in stainless and three inch barrel: https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/see-all-revolvers?view=article&id=441&catid=60