Author Topic: It takes a village but the village is nuts  (Read 2710 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
It takes a village but the village is nuts
« on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:40 AM »
 :facepalm:

The warrant was issued by a judge for the arrest of a father after calling his biological female child his "daughter," and referring to her with the pronouns "she" and "her." He was found to be in contempt of court.
Father jailed after referring to biological female child as his daughter
https://thepostmillennial.com/rob-hoogland-canada-prisoner-of-conscience

Canadian father who ‘misgendered’ his child reportedly held in contempt of court
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/03/18/canadian-father-who-misgendered-his-child-reportedly-held-in-contempt-of-court/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:50:11 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: It takes a village and the village is nuts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »
:facepalm:
Father jailed after referring to biological female child as his daughter
https://thepostmillennial.com/rob-hoogland-canada-prisoner-of-conscience

Canadian father who ‘misgendered’ his child reportedly held in contempt of court
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/03/18/canadian-father-who-misgendered-his-child-reportedly-held-in-contempt-of-court/

Just a matter of time before this becomes a regular occurrence on this side of the border.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: It takes a village but the village is nuts
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 11:02:32 AM »
Hoogland is a father to a gender non-conforming biological female 14-year-old who identifies as transgender and prefers the use of male pronouns. Hoogland has repeatedly called this person his daughter, though the court has forbade it.

[Robert] Hoogland opposes his child’s undergoing “gender affirmative” medical procedures, and has stated this opposition again and again, in the hope of saving his child from irreversible harm. The Canadian medical system, the legal system, and the child’s mother press ahead with social and medical transition of the child.
Sounds like a mess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 11:18:36 AM »
He should hold a memorial service for the loss of his daughter (may she rest in peace).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
He should hold a memorial service for the loss of his daughter (may she rest in peace).

There’s a 41% chance he will be holding a real one...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »
I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but in most states of the USA, once a child reaches a certain age, they have the right to provide consent for behavioral health care, and the rights of the parents in the process can be minimal or non-existent.  If there is a conflict, the Courts generally tend to support the rights of the teenager over the parents.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
Hoogland is a father to a gender non-conforming biological female 14-year-old who identifies as transgender and prefers the use of male pronouns. Hoogland has repeatedly called this person his daughter, though the court has forbade it.

[Robert] Hoogland opposes his child’s undergoing “gender affirmative” medical procedures, and has stated this opposition again and again, in the hope of saving his child from irreversible harm. The Canadian medical system, the legal system, and the child’s mother press ahead with social and medical transition of the child.

What do you bet that dear ole dad still gets stuck with the bill?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 02:10:44 PM »
I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but in most states of the USA, once a child reaches a certain age, they have the right to provide consent for behavioral health care, and the rights of the parents in the process can be minimal or non-existent.  If there is a conflict, the Courts generally tend to support the rights of the teenager over the parents.

So if a 15 year old daughter wants to be refered to as "son"  her/"his"  43 year old father either complies or is jailed?

=|     

Uh,   when does Civil War 2.0 start?  :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »
So if a 15 year old daughter wants to be refered to as "son"  her/"his"  43 year old father either complies or is jailed?

=|     

It won't be civil
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 02:58:35 PM »

=|     

In court at least. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 03:58:15 PM »

=|     

I read the source article and saw that the father was deliberately not complying with the court orders, no doubt for what the father thought was good and sufficient reason.  It is a fairly common legal principle that judges do not like people flagrantly violating court orders, and if you do so, consequences will likely follow.  So in this case, the father is taking a stand and accepting the consequences.  I admire him for standing up for his principles.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 05:00:09 PM »
I read the source article and saw that the father was deliberately not complying with the court orders, no doubt for what the father thought was good and sufficient reason.  It is a fairly common legal principle that judges do not like people flagrantly violating court orders, and if you do so, consequences will likely follow.  So in this case, the father is taking a stand and accepting the consequences.  I admire him for standing up for his principles.

There is a concern that there can be court ORDERS forcing someone to refer to another person as "he" or "she". I should be able to refer to anyone I want as "Hey Jackass" without fear of being thrown in the pokey.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 05:03:09 PM »
So refusing to affirm the person's actual gender is called being "gender-affirming," and referring to a person's actual gender is called "misgendering." That is some of the most lefty left-speak I have ever heard.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »
There is a concern that there can be court ORDERS forcing someone to refer to another person as "he" or "she". I should be able to refer to anyone I want as "Hey Jackass" without fear of being thrown in the pokey.

i don't disagree, but if your wife or co-worker got a court order forbidding you to do that, you violate the order at your own risk.  In my legal journals, I have heard of a related concept occurring in divorce cases.  Party A gets a court order for Party B to stop denigrating Party A. If Party B keeps on with the denigrating, the judge can get unhappy and take whatever action they deem appropriate.  Usually this is in the context of 'parental alienation' in which one parent is bad-mouthing the other parent.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 06:05:53 PM »

Seems like a First Amendment issue, don't it?    (BTW, "Hey jackass" might be acceptable because it's gender-neutral)  Although this wasn't in USA, was it?
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »

Seems like a First Amendment issue, don't it?    (BTW, "Hey jackass" might be acceptable because it's gender-neutral)  Although this wasn't in USA, was it?
Actually, jackass refers to a male donkey, so it's not actually gender-neutral.  :old:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 07:06:12 PM »
Actually, jackass refers to a male donkey, so it's not actually gender-neutral.  :old:

True, but it's not all *that* gendered of a reference, and the girl wants to be called a male anyway so she should be pleased.  :angel:   (how about "Hey, ahole!")
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
It won't be civil

The first one wasn't, either.  >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 08:13:58 PM »

Well, good for him I suppose.  He's a good myrmidon - - - ooops,  I mean martyr. 

It's still nutzo.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »
I'm beginning to think tarring and feathering is too good for some public officials.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 01:01:52 PM »
i don't disagree, but if your wife or co-worker got a court order forbidding you to do that, you violate the order at your own risk.  In my legal journals, I have heard of a related concept occurring in divorce cases.  Party A gets a court order for Party B to stop denigrating Party A. If Party B keeps on with the denigrating, the judge can get unhappy and take whatever action they deem appropriate.  Usually this is in the context of 'parental alienation' in which one parent is bad-mouthing the other parent.

I have, many times, ordered parents to not denigrate the other parent in the presence of their children.  I don't care what they say to friends, co-workers, etc., but no kid needs to hear one parent speak in nasty terms of the other parent.  Yes, I have held people in contempt for this.  Usually, saying that gets the point across.  I have issued a few fines.  Never had to jail anyone.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 01:20:30 PM »
I have, many times, ordered parents to not denigrate the other parent in the presence of their children.  I don't care what they say to friends, co-workers, etc., but no kid needs to hear one parent speak in nasty terms of the other parent.  Yes, I have held people in contempt for this.  Usually, saying that gets the point across.  I have issued a few fines.  Never had to jail anyone.

My "hey jackass" comment was more about in public. I guess people don't do decorum anymore, but I was taught to wear a suit to court and address people properly and the judge respectfully.

In public, "hey jackass" should not have legal consequences. Maybe "punch in the nose" consequences (and we don't do enough of that anymore thanks to lawsuits).

Regardless, I will simply never be able to process that addressing a female as "she", in court or otherwise, is grounds for jail. I don't see how you can denigrate someone by stating a simple fact.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 03:42:33 PM »
My "hey jackass" comment was more about in public. I guess people don't do decorum anymore, but I was taught to wear a suit to court and address people properly and the judge respectfully.

In public, "hey jackass" should not have legal consequences. Maybe "punch in the nose" consequences (and we don't do enough of that anymore thanks to lawsuits).

Regardless, I will simply never be able to process that addressing a female as "she", in court or otherwise, is grounds for jail. I don't see how you can denigrate someone by stating a simple fact.

I've got to say, I struggle with that as well.  Saying " her wife " or "his husband"  is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »

Prior restraint on speech.  Some court orders are never valid, and jailing someone for violation them is nothing more than kidnapping and false imprisonment under color of law.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »

I've got to say, I struggle with that as well.  Saying " her wife " or "his husband"  is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

As a related aside, over the (many) years I've run into a couple of women who would always refer to their off-scene significant other as "my spouse",  not "my husband".  Always made me wonder if that was a lesbian partner.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.