Author Topic: Motorcycle: inspect before tag/registration or registration before inspection  (Read 390 times)

Snowdog

• friend
I'll preface this by saying I live in Western North Carolina.

A buddy is trading his low-miles/near new condition Suzuki C50 Boulevard for my DWM Luger and RIA GI model 1911. 

He hasn't this bike for a while and it needs a tag and inspection.  My currently plan is to use a 5x9 open ramp trailer and haul it to a nearby shop that sells new and used motorcycles.  I would like them to give it a once-over and hopefully have it inspected.  The problem is that it currently has no tag. 

I'm thinking I need to get to the DMV first for the tax, title and tag before I can drop it off at the shop.  Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Both motorcycle wheels on the trailer, off the ground?

I can't say for North Carolina, but I know that for my state a motor vehicle only needs to be registered if it will be towed with one or more wheels on the ground. If it's entirely on the trailer, we can town it all over the state without registering it. (But the trailer has to be registered.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Snowdog

• friend
Thanks for the reply.

I'm uncertain whether I should leave the C50 in his garage until after I've squared away the registration at the DMV.  I'm wondering if the shop would do any work on a bike that doesn't have a tag.  The bike was winterized 3 years ago and never ridden again.  I'm sure it's in need of some work at this point.

Blakenzy

• friend
Wouldn't this be similar to a non road-legal dirtbike situation? So long as the rubber isn't touching the public road and the bike isn't stolen there shouldn't be any issues, I think.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
In NH, we have to have a valid registration to get a vehicle inspected. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
In Missouri you have to get it inspected before you go to the court house for your papers.

I would have to look up for off road but I think you have to reduce it every three to five years. I don't know of anyone doing it again after the first time.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
I've always had to get my vehicles inspected before the DMV folks would issue new or renewed registrations.  I don't know the procedure for title transfers, however.
I live in western North Carolina, as well.  You could stop by your local DMV office and ask what needs to be done in your case.  The folks at the one close to my house in Hickory are friendly and helpful.  It might be because they are contractors and not actual government employees.   =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.