Author Topic: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now  (Read 62048 times)

griz

• friend
Re: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now
« Reply #625 on: May 09, 2023, 03:00:30 AM »
Sigh not this again.

The vast majority of car trips are only a few miles. The supposed vast distances are therefore mostly irrelevant to the statistics or even contradictory...a supposedly vast and sparse country should result in fewer deaths per km, not vastly more. How are these Americans finding 13 times more people per km in their supposedly sparsely populated mythical land?

"Supposed" vast distances?  I'm on vacation and yesterday drove from Second Mesa AZ to Teec Nos Pos.  That's about 200 miles.  Most of it straight, two lane, and rough.  You may consider that area irrelevant, but people live out there.  That corner of Arizona is vast even though the population probably adds up to only what is found in a small town in my home state of Virginia.  Do you really think it's practical to make drivers on those roads drive 35 just so city dwellers will not feel picked on?

By the way, I agree that type of road is probably several times more dangerous than an interstate, I just don't think it's practical to make everywhere a full day's drive away for the residents.  That would make as much sense as outlawing cars in Washington DC in order to entirely eliminate traffic deaths.  They's got the Metro, Bicycles, and can walk in safety
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #626 on: May 11, 2023, 02:18:49 PM »
- - can walk in safety.

Really?  I don't know of any major metro area where you can "walk safely", especially not after dark.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #627 on: May 11, 2023, 02:47:32 PM »
"Supposed" vast distances?  I'm on vacation and yesterday drove from Second Mesa AZ to Teec Nos Pos.  That's about 200 miles.  Most of it straight, two lane, and rough.  You may consider that area irrelevant, but people live out there.  That corner of Arizona is vast even though the population probably adds up to only what is found in a small town in my home state of Virginia.  Do you really think it's practical to make drivers on those roads drive 35 just so city dwellers will not feel picked on?

By the way, I agree that type of road is probably several times more dangerous than an interstate, I just don't think it's practical to make everywhere a full day's drive away for the residents.  That would make as much sense as outlawing cars in Washington DC in order to entirely eliminate traffic deaths.  They's got the Metro, Bicycles, and can walk in safety
I don't think those roads are more dangerous.  They usually have less traffic.  I ended up driving from the Texas border through Lubbock and Austin last year.  The roads were almost all 2 lane and mostly 70 to 75 MPH speed limit.  I didn't feel unsafe.  Near Austin was the worst part as I got into highways with lots of traffic. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #628 on: May 11, 2023, 07:22:41 PM »
Really?  I don't know of any major metro area where you can "walk safely", especially not after dark.  :facepalm:

There are lots. Of course, a "major metro area" has a LOT of component areas. Some are safe, high priced havens, while other component areas are complete and total crime ridden *expletive deleted*it holes.

For example, Philadelphia. But wait, that's a crime ridden *expletive deleted*it hole of monumental proportions, right?

Again, it depends on WHERE in Philadelphia.

Nicetown (actually Tioga and Nicetown) in North Philly. You don't want to be there at any time of the freaking day OR night. Or ever.

The crime rate is over 2,600 per 100,000.

Safest neighborhoods, where it actually is safe and family oriented?

Try Chestnut Hill, Upper Roxborough or Rittenhouse Square.

Sure, there's crime there, too, but it's not bad for a major metropolitan area.

So yeah, you CAN walk safely in many major metropolitan areas, as long as you know where you are.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 11:34:32 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #629 on: May 12, 2023, 10:31:12 AM »
. . . So yeah, you CAN walk safely in many major metropolitan areas, as long as you know where you are.
That was ABSOLUTELY the case in Chicago when I still lived there. I expect it still is, but the "no go" areas have certainly expanded.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #630 on: May 12, 2023, 11:11:34 AM »
All neighborhoods in our major cities are safe. Talk of high crime rates is nothing but MAGA fear-mongering.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #631 on: May 26, 2023, 09:24:14 AM »
Peter Rabbit

'Peter Rabbit' children's book series under attack as 'problematic': 'Owe a debt' to African slave folk tales
https://www.foxnews.com/media/peter-rabbit-childrens-book-series-under-attack-problematic-owe-debt-african-slave-folk-tales
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #632 on: May 26, 2023, 11:15:20 AM »
The Quartering pointed out yesterday that on 25 May, St George Floyd celebrates being 3 years sober. Congratulation, St. George!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #633 on: May 28, 2023, 07:07:10 PM »
The "climate crisis"

Jane Fonda blamed men – and racism – for climate change during a conversation at this year's Cannes Film Festival, arguing that without the patriarchy, the crisis allegedly of epic proportions would cease to exist.

"This is serious," she said Saturday. "We’ve got about seven, eight years to cut ourselves in half of what we use of fossil fuels, and unfortunately, the people that have the least responsibility for it are hit the hardest — Global South, people on islands, poor people of color. It is a tragedy that we have to absolutely stop. We have to arrest and jail those men — they’re all men [behind this]."

Jane Fonda blames 'White men' for climate crisis, calls to 'arrest and jail' them
https://www.foxnews.com/media/jane-fonda-blames-white-men-climate-crisis-calls-arrest-jail

Liberal actress Jane Fonda says white men are to blame for 'climate crisis' and is calling for them to all be ARRESTED and jailed
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12134249/Jane-Fonda-calls-men-arrested-jailed-blames-white-men-climate-crisis.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #634 on: May 28, 2023, 11:05:31 PM »
The "climate crisis"

Jane Fonda blames 'White men' for climate crisis, calls to 'arrest and jail' them
https://www.foxnews.com/media/jane-fonda-blames-white-men-climate-crisis-calls-arrest-jail

Liberal actress Jane Fonda says white men are to blame for 'climate crisis' and is calling for them to all be ARRESTED and jailed
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12134249/Jane-Fonda-calls-men-arrested-jailed-blames-white-men-climate-crisis.html

She's right about one thing - it really would help if she and her friends would cut themselves in half.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #635 on: May 29, 2023, 01:33:47 AM »
The "climate crisis"

I wonder what her customary mode of transportation is. Does she ride a bicycle to the spa? I'm sure she doesn't do her own grocery shopping -- does she require her personal staff to walk or ride bicycles? Does she ever travel by private jet? Isn't that terribly irresponsible?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #636 on: May 29, 2023, 04:46:47 AM »
If accurate (little doubt that it is) that quote illustrates the lack of rational thought processes that led her to visit to visit North Viet Nam.

Emotional invective.

Unfortunately, that lack seems to be getting more and more common.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #637 on: May 29, 2023, 08:21:31 AM »
I wonder what her customary mode of transportation is. Does she ride a bicycle to the spa? I'm sure she doesn't do her own grocery shopping -- does she require her personal staff to walk or ride bicycles? Does she ever travel by private jet? Isn't that terribly irresponsible?
We're on the same page here. Based on what I suspect her financial resources are, Hanoi Jane's lifestyle probably has a bigger carbon footprint than mine does. Considerably more.

Not that carbon footprints actually matter.   ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #638 on: May 29, 2023, 08:29:45 AM »
We're on the same page here. Based on what I suspect her financial resources are, Hanoi Jane's lifestyle probably has a bigger carbon footprint than mine does. Considerably more.

Not that carbon footprints actually matter.   ;/

I would love to see a "carbon footprint" comparison between Hollywood and a similar size mid-west town both in total and per capita. Seem to remember something coming out years ago that found Al Gore's electricity use was something like 10x the avg
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #639 on: May 29, 2023, 07:39:00 PM »
It boils down to the fact that they see themselves as "The Elites".  They think this gives them the "right" to dictate how WE should live (in poverty and privation - aka "Hunger Games") so they can maintain their lifestyle.  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #640 on: May 30, 2023, 01:44:43 PM »
Aragorn is black now and only a racist would have a problem with that

Aragorn Is Black Now! Here's What Tolkien Had To Say
https://earlygame.com/entertainment/aragorn-black

Is Aragorn Black In The Source Material?

Not really, but it's never clearly stated, and it's certainly possible. In the Lord of the Rings, Tolkien only vaguely describes Aragorn's physical appearance:

...a shaggy head of dark hair flecked with grey, and in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes.

"Pale", but it's never clearly stated.  :facepalm:
And this is without even mentioning the medieval England/Nordic framework it was written within

And fans "ATTACK!"
Racists!

MTG's Lord of the Rings Controversy Returns as 'Fans' Attack Black Aragorn
https://www.cbr.com/mtg-aragorn-black-fan-reaction/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 02:23:56 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #641 on: May 30, 2023, 02:59:09 PM »
And if you don't like the new The Little Mermaid not only are you a racist but you're a racist ratings terrorist

Movie Rating Site Responds to “Ratings Terrorism”

Deemed “ratings terrorism” by Korea’s SBS News, Deadline explains that there was a “trend of negative reviews receiving hundreds of likes, and positive reviews getting hundreds of thumbs down.”

‘Ratings Terrorism:’ Overseas Response To ‘The Little Mermaid’
https://www.disneydining.com/ratings-terrorism-1-movie-in-the-world-the-little-mermaid-live-action-remake-lf1/
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #642 on: June 01, 2023, 11:22:06 PM »
These are just the most recent "gender-benders" that have occurred.
How many of you remember the original "Battlestar Galactica" from the late 70s?  Starbuck was played by Dirk Benedict.  In the more recent version, Katie Sackoff played Starbuck.
How about "Magnum P.I."?  In the 80s version, John Hillerman was Higgins but in the new version, "Higgins" is played by Perdita Weeks.
And those are the only ones I could think of on a moment's notice.
  :facepalm:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #643 on: June 02, 2023, 07:29:58 AM »
Yeah, but you've gotta admit, Perdita Weeks is FAR hotter than John Hillerman.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #644 on: June 02, 2023, 07:40:26 AM »
How many of you remember the original "Battlestar Galactica" from the late 70s?  Starbuck was played by Dirk Benedict.  In the more recent version, Katie Sackoff played Starbuck.

Bugged me at first but you got to admit that over time she made that character her own and it stands on it's own. As a side note saw something that said they considered having Benedict appear as her father.

I'm surprised the left didn't scream bloody murder when the two main black characters from the original were race swapped, Col. Tigh to a White male and Boomer to a Asian female*. They may have I just don't remember hearing about it.

*Spoiler alert if you haven't watched it. Both are Cylon "skin jobs" as well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:36:03 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #645 on: June 02, 2023, 09:27:51 AM »

In the otherwise excellent Dune film, Liet Kynes was transformed to a woman.  The actress attempted to play the role in a macho manner.  It was just dull.  The character was written as a man, and did not fit a woman, at all.

It was a particularly unnecessary decision in the light of Dune's already excellent female characters (Jessica and the Reverend Mother Hellen Mohaim), both of which were done extremely well in the film.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #646 on: June 02, 2023, 10:02:50 AM »
This is 2023. Be glad - be VERY glad - Higgins is played by Ms. Weeks.

If Higgins were still a dude . . . today the network would STILL insist on a blossoming romance between Higgins and Magnum.    :O

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #647 on: June 02, 2023, 10:04:55 AM »
This is 2023. Be glad - be VERY glad - Higgins is played by Ms. Weeks.

If Higgins were still a dude . . . today the network would STILL insist on a blossoming romance between Higgins and Magnum.    :O

Just about is a requirement in just about anything coming out of Hollywood nowadays
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #648 on: June 02, 2023, 10:08:38 AM »
And at least she's a cisbrit, instead of being transbritish, like Hillerman.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #649 on: June 03, 2023, 02:55:16 AM »
In the otherwise excellent Dune film, Liet Kynes was transformed to a woman.  The actress attempted to play the role in a macho manner.  It was just dull.  The character was written as a man, and did not fit a woman, at all.

It was a particularly unnecessary decision in the light of Dune's already excellent female characters (Jessica and the Reverend Mother Hellen Mohaim), both of which were done extremely well in the film.

Kynes was also Chani's father.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine