Author Topic: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now  (Read 64514 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now
« Reply #700 on: July 05, 2023, 09:48:45 AM »
They're good Americans following the American tradition, they vote for the lesser of two evils (as they've been led to perceive it).

It is my understanding that black people vote mostly for Democrats because they:
1) want a large social welfare safety net
2) want government jobs
3) believe Republicans hate them

Please correct me if I am wrong.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #701 on: July 06, 2023, 09:13:38 PM »
I'm not saying you were wrong. I just wonder why you thought it was funny.

Not funny.  Just a sad commentary of how people have been led into what is essentially slavery by government giveaways.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #702 on: July 08, 2023, 11:43:47 AM »
4) republicans have arbitrarily taken the doomed position of being the party of rural America, and there is a large urban-rural cultural divide in America (not a fundamental one but one perpetuated by exclusionary political forces) which makes urban blacks democratic by default.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #703 on: July 09, 2023, 07:39:17 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #704 on: July 09, 2023, 08:12:49 AM »
4) republicans have arbitrarily taken the doomed position of being the party of rural America, and there is a large urban-rural cultural divide in America (not a fundamental one but one perpetuated by exclusionary political forces) which makes urban blacks democratic by default.

Who do rural blacks vote for?  Those are not rare where I come from.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #705 on: July 09, 2023, 10:08:29 AM »
I don't know about rural blacks, but rural whites voted Democrat where I grew up.  Many only started voting Republican in the Clinton years and that was only in the big state and federal elections.  They still voted Democrat locally.  I don't know if that has changed since then. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #706 on: July 11, 2023, 09:37:47 AM »
Exercising

You can't make this *expletive deleted*it up but they do all day every day.

MSNBC op-ed is slammed online for claiming that working out is linked to far-right politics and says that exercising at home is just the latest fascist trend that glamorizes hypermasculinity
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12284617/MSNBC-op-ed-slammed-online-claiming-working-linked-far-right-politics.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #707 on: July 11, 2023, 03:03:20 PM »
I should have known that it was the ghost of Hitler getting me into boxing workouts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #708 on: July 11, 2023, 04:38:15 PM »
Exercising

You can't make this *expletive deleted*it up but they do all day every day.

MSNBC op-ed is slammed online for claiming that working out is linked to far-right politics and says that exercising at home is just the latest fascist trend that glamorizes hypermasculinity
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12284617/MSNBC-op-ed-slammed-online-claiming-working-linked-far-right-politics.html
So thanks to MSNBC we can now conclude that Hanoi Jane was just trying to be one of the nazi boys with all her workout videos.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #709 on: July 11, 2023, 09:29:26 PM »
Goes with the above

FBI Conducting Surveillance Of Far-Right Terrorist Training Ground
https://babylonbee.com/news/fbi-conducting-surveillance-of-far-right-training-ground

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #710 on: July 11, 2023, 09:30:59 PM »
And another

Obese Man Explains To Doctor He's Just Fighting Far-Right Extremism
https://babylonbee.com/news/obese-man-explains-to-doctor-hes-just-fighting-far-right-extremism
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #711 on: July 12, 2023, 03:46:04 PM »
 I happened to come across this article, not realizing it is from the much-ballyhooed 1619 Project. I'm guessing it's one of the more reasonable installments, but look at this little gem I found:

Earlier this year, while looking up some information about my grandmother, I stumbled upon her father, my great-grandfather Nap McQueen. There he was in a black-and-white photo, looking straight into the camera, in a long-sleeve shirt, slacks and a hat. He was enslaved as a boy, and he was one of more than 2,300 formerly enslaved people interviewed for the Federal Writers’ Project’s Slave Narratives. He was vivid in his recollection — how he was born in Tennessee and taken to Texas by wagon. His enslaver, he said, “was a good massa,” in part because he allowed McQueen to go fishing and hunting on the weekends, and his enslaver wouldn’t draw blood during whippings. His enslaver treated his property so well, he said, that they were the envy of enslaved people on other plantations.

Nap McQueen’s words disappointed me. I was embarrassed. My great-grandfather had echoed the “lost cause” ideology.

He talked about how his enslaver lined up all the enslaved people and announced that they were free. They could leave, his enslaver said, or they could stay, and he would give them some land. My family stayed, making a life in Woodville, Tex.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/19/magazine/slavery-american-schools.html?mtrref=duckduckgo.com&gwh=B64739563BDEE5448022BEA23201303D&gwt=pay&assetType=PAYWALL

Speaking of ideology - "Is the lost cause in the room with us right now?"

Her own ancestor WHO WAS THERE had the gall to say that his master was "good," at least as slave-owners go.

But it's OK. Great-grandbaby is there to tell us what it was really like. Nevermind that her family chose to stay in close proximity to this Simon Legree. That tells us nothing at all. Like all slave-owners, he was basically Satan. It reminds me of a comment Candace Owens made, when we she was trying to talk to some "anti-racists." I can only paraphrase, but she said something like, "You're more emotional about it than the people who went through it!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #712 on: July 12, 2023, 04:35:50 PM »
I have read many slave narratives recorded by the Federal government during the great depression.  The former slaves who hated or loved their owners were relatively rare (and made the most interesting reading).  The large majority of them when asked said something to the effect that their owner was "good" but didn't appear have much feeling in the matter... kind of like how someone might describe their boss at work.

I've also read some modern commentators who appear to be angry that slaves ever had a good time (like the one you mentioned).  It is like they think slaves should have been miserable constantly.  Many of the former slaves described their holidays (usually two or three times a year), the food they ate, music and so on.  That appears to be offensive to some people today.

Slave owners typically lived in close proximity to their slaves, and spent much of their days with them.  Just imagine what it would be like to live surrounded by people who hated you.  You had to work out ways to get along with each other... I mean, if you didn't you could easily end up dead.

The most disturbing element that was common in the slave narratives was separation from family by sale.  That was something that they dreaded.  I read a couple of narratives that said their owners wouldn't whip their slaves, but any that didn't work would be sold, which was considered to be unpleasant fate, as you may never see family again.  The most vivid narrative I read was of a former slave who described how she was sure her former owner was burning in hell for selling her away from her family as a child.

*edit*  Oh and though I think were was close to zero that was positive about slavery, old former slaves saying they were "better off" as slaves wasn't particularly rare in the narratives.  They were all aged, and most were in poverty.  Quite a few had most of their families dead or gone, which was tragic. 

Slave narratives are free to download:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=slave+narratives&submit_search=Go%21

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #713 on: July 12, 2023, 04:45:55 PM »
Being informed about history, and pretending that slave owners were human beings, are both forms of white supremacy.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #714 on: July 12, 2023, 04:56:24 PM »
I just found this gem in a slave narrative... slaves defying traditional sterotypes...   :lol:

Fight with Master

My mother's first master was named Rasly, and her second was named Neely. She and her young master, John McNeely, who was raised with her and who was about the same age as she was, got to fighting one day and she whipped him clear as a whistle. After she whipped him that fight went all over the country. She was between sixteen and seventeen years old an he was about the same. She had never been whipped by the white folks.

She was in the kitchen. I don't know what the trouble started over. But they had an argument. There were some other white boys in the kitchen with her young master, and they kept pushing the two of them up to fight. He wanted to show off; so he told her what he would do to her if she didn't hush her mouth. She told him to just try it, and the fight was on. So they fought for about an hour, and the other white boys egged them on.

She said that her old master never did whip her, and she sure wasn't going to let the young one do it. I never heard that they punished her for whipping her young master. I never heard her say that anybody tried to whip her at any other time. My mother was a strong woman. She could lift one end of a log with any man.

I've read some other "unexpected" dimensions to slave life... it wasn't rare for slaves to run away temprorarily... not up north, but just to hide out in the woods, sometimes just temporarily.  The slave owner would sometimes use go-betweens to try and convince them to return... which would involve negotiations.  The go-between might say, well, she's ready to come back, but she is afraid of getting whipped.  The owner would say "Whipped?  No, no no I'm not going to whip her!  Just tell her to come on back, and we let bygones be bygones." 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #715 on: July 12, 2023, 05:02:12 PM »
This thread has become very triggering for me. You are all racists white supremacists.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #716 on: July 12, 2023, 05:06:28 PM »
Don't even have to be white to be a white supremacist anymore
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #717 on: July 13, 2023, 09:30:05 AM »
This thread reminded me a book I read about, "A Fine Dessert" by Emily Jenkins... about a family recipe enjoyed by generations.

Well, some of them were slaves working in a kitchen, who enjoyed licking the bowl together.

This was apparently very triggering for some morons who tried to cancel the book.  Fortunately, they failed.   =D

https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Dessert-Centuries-Families-Delicious/dp/0375868321

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #718 on: July 15, 2023, 11:13:58 PM »
Don't even have to be white to be a white supremacist anymore
East Asians (not restricted to just Japanese this time around) are apparently Honorary Whites yet again.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #719 on: July 16, 2023, 11:36:29 AM »
Back to Climate Change is racist
    The climate crisis doesn't impact all communities equally. Low income, rural, Native communities, and communities of color are often the hardest hit.

To help address this inequity, we're ensuring that overlooked and underserved communities benefit from climate and clean energy…
    — Vice President Kamala Harris (@VP) July 15, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/07/16/kamala-harris-says-climate-change-is-racist-n2385445
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #720 on: July 16, 2023, 12:15:05 PM »
Back to Climate Change is racisthttps://twitchy.com/samj/2023/07/16/kamala-harris-says-climate-change-is-racist-n2385445

This morning I read that the admin is starting a $3.85 billion program to reduce energy costs for equity, but also that a big part of it is the gov buying air conditioners for equity.

I would never tell someone they can't have AC (except when I'm buying it for them), but this is even more ridiculous because at the same time, the enviros and the admin are telling the rest of us that AC is evil and we shouldn't have it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-administration-buy-air-conditioning-units-environmental-justice
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #721 on: July 16, 2023, 01:56:41 PM »
What would also reduce energy cost is the Govt getting itself out of the way of energy production.  These people can't imagine any solution that doesn't involve more govt. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #722 on: July 17, 2023, 05:07:50 PM »
This thread has become very triggering for me. You are all racists white supremacists.
You want triggering? Here it comes.

Aaron McGruder is a black cartoonist.

Heres's his take on slavery as narrated by Uncle Ruckus, a character in The Boondocks.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2iR7cYp4E

(I hope everyone here recognizes that it's satire.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #723 on: July 17, 2023, 07:35:52 PM »
Next video that came up for me:

https://youtu.be/Ui_Bpg7u5Lk

My response: "To all of those who are not white, and attribute their lunch break to those of my race - you're welcome."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #724 on: July 20, 2023, 02:43:36 PM »
Not wearing a mask in 2023

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status/1682047936925143040

Several brain cells jumped ship watching that

Not masking in July, 2023 puts trans and BIPOC lives in danger and is a symbol of white supremacy pic.twitter.com/d1ZVXyVEKe
    — Libs of TikTok (@libsoftiktok) July 20, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/07/20/trans-rager-goes-off-because-people-arent-masking-in-2023-n2385587
- Calvin and Hobbes