Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Just ordered a vegetable spiralizer...

<< < (3/3)

K Frame:
The one thing about spiralized zucchini that's a bit of a pain is that, when boiling it, you can go from underdone to overdone and mushy in about 15 seconds.

RocketMan:

--- Quote from: K Frame on April 26, 2021, 08:27:02 AM ---The one thing about spiralized zucchini that's a bit of a pain is that, when boiling it, you can go from underdone to overdone and mushy in about 15 seconds.
--- End quote ---

This is true, you do have to watch what you're doing with it.   But cooked properly it is good stuff.

Ron:
What about lightly sautéing in butter or olive oil?

K Frame:
Yes, I've done that as well. It's a bit more forgiving, but takes longer and tends not to give quite as even cooking results because of the shape of the spirals.

I'm going to try baking, as well.

K Frame:
Circling back to this...

I've been eating a TON of spiralized zucchini and yellow summer squash, and I have been loving it.

I've given up on boiling it. Way too easy to overcook it and it's just too watery, so I've been sauteing it.

I've hit on a couple of tricks to make it easier to saute.

First is, after I trim the squash, I cut it just shy of half way through lengthwise. Why, you might ask?

Because you end up with not one long spiral that's a pain to cook, but individual spiral "coins" that don't tend to stick together in the pan like mandolin-cut coins do, plus they cook a lot more evenly.

Yellow and green summer squash is now giving broccoli a run for its money on how much of it I eat...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version