Author Topic: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry  (Read 10321 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2021, 04:25:46 PM »
You know what I think should be allowed?

You have an intersection, and there's basically gridlocked stop and go traffic.

The other side of the intersection is full. The light is green, but you sit, and wait for there to be room on the other side. Then Sumdood guns his Charger past you, and pulls up, actually in the intersection. If you're lucky, nobody else does, but some idiot is going to think that that is okay, and join him.

In the intersection.

And then traffic is REALLY blocked and snarled...

We should be allowed to execute them, and then auction their cars.

I am willing to sign a petition for your campaign. Is that just one plank in your platform, is is that your complete platform?

Either way, you have my vote.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2021, 04:28:21 PM »

We need just 5 more states to pass Constitutional Carry to have a simple majority.

Who's next?  FL, PA, NV are the top contenders in my book.  Maybe MI, OH, NC are next.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2021, 04:53:30 PM »
The streets of Kansas and Missouri only ran red for a couple days. Then we were all dead.

I assume that's a joke?

I don't get it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »
We need just 5 more states to pass Constitutional Carry to have a simple majority.

Who's next?  FL, PA, NV are the top contenders in my book.  Maybe MI, OH, NC are next.
LA came very close to getting it passed.  A few legislators were bought off by the Gov. to prevent Veto override.  Maybe see what happens after the next election. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2021, 06:05:09 PM »

Nebraska is a rural state, what's going on there? Also Mississippi and Alabama. Aren't they filled with rednecks? I hate to say it, but I don't have high hopes for FL or NV at this time. I mean, if it got to the Governor's desk in FL, I bet he would sign, but it's the getting there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2021, 08:24:15 PM »
I doubt Ohio will go Constitutional carry.  DeWine won't sign, even if they get that far.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Pb

• friend
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2021, 10:13:33 PM »
Also Mississippi and Alabama. Aren't they filled with rednecks?

In Alabama, the permit fees go to a slush fund for the sheriffs- that they can spend any way they want.  They raise a fuss every time it seems like Constitional Carry might pass.  There is one vile senator that keeps blocking it.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2021, 10:25:44 PM »
Nebraska is a rural state, what's going on there? Also Mississippi and Alabama. Aren't they filled with rednecks? I hate to say it, but I don't have high hopes for FL or NV at this time. I mean, if it got to the Governor's desk in FL, I bet he would sign, but it's the getting there.

If it were up to the Gov here in NV I am sure he would go door to door taking guns. NV is shading to the blue side of purple.

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2021, 10:34:26 PM »

NC will never go Constitutional Carry.  We have a flaming leftist for a governor, and that is not likely to change.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2021, 10:45:14 PM »

It won't happen in Pennsylvania. Philadelphia will see to that.

PA already has a watered-down version. Open carry is legal without a permit everywhere except in Philadelphia. The catch is that it's only good when you're walking. In a vehicle, you can't carry a loaded firearm without a license. And Philadelphia cops routinely ignore even the existing law and bust anyone they see open carrying.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2021, 06:03:14 PM »
Constitutional Carry Bill Introduced Again in Florida…Is the Third Time the Charm?
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/constitutional-carry-billintroduced-again-in-florida-is-the-third-time-the-charm/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:25:27 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2021, 06:11:01 PM »
This type of statement pisses me off to no end. Whether the gun is concealed, open, with or without a permit doesn't mean squat. If a person is going to bad things they will be done. Yet they continue to use it in order to frighten the people who aren't bothered to learn the truth or just want to ignore it.

Griffith said another concern is that the law makes it more difficult for police to differentiate between a "good guy with a gun," and someone who may have bad intentions.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/in-depth/2021/08/24/406649/permitless-carry-in-texas-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2021, 02:30:18 AM »
I've always wondered about why concealed carry was soooo bad.  It's not like anyone who carries concealed is more likely to shoot the guy across the table for flipping an ace out of his sleeve.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2021, 09:44:32 AM »
I've always wondered about why concealed carry was soooo bad.  It's not like anyone who carries concealed is more likely to shoot the guy across the table for flipping an ace out of his sleeve.

It is an old idea that dates back to the 1800's at least.... honorable men carried their weapons in a open, manly manner.... cowards hid their guns.  CC bans started around the 1820's in the USA in some places, but open carry was pretty much unrestricted everywhere for a very long time.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2021, 09:46:17 AM »
I saw something interesting the other day; look at the list of US states by homicide rate for 2019:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The top five states with the lowest rates all have constitutional carry. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »
This type of statement pisses me off to no end. Whether the gun is concealed, open, with or without a permit doesn't mean squat. If a person is going to bad things they will be done. Yet they continue to use it in order to frighten the people who aren't bothered to learn the truth or just want to ignore it.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/in-depth/2021/08/24/406649/permitless-carry-in-texas-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

bob
Innocent until proven guilty? 

More than likely, an officer who spends any time patrolling an area will already know who the problem people are.  Not to mention people who do bad things generally have done them before and have the criminal record to show for it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2021, 11:56:03 PM »
It is an old idea that dates back to the 1800's at least.... honorable men carried their weapons in a open, manly manner.... cowards hid their guns.  CC bans started around the 1820's in the USA in some places, but open carry was pretty much unrestricted everywhere for a very long time.

My first question is why a coward would be motivated to conceal --does it have anything to do with the notion that an "honorable man" won't  shoot an unarmed man?  A hangover from the code duelllo?

Isn't  it just as likely that a coward would want to carry openly?

Not to mention that our root edition of "common law" (~1791) does not imply that "...bear arms, shall not be infringed" means "...bear arms openly, shall not be infringed."

'Tis a puzzlement.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:14:52 AM by 230RN »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2021, 08:35:21 AM »
Concealed carry bans started in the 1820s...

Before that, there were no bans on carry, open or concealed...

During the 1800's most courts ruled that open carry was protected by the constition, and CC was not (there were a few exceptions).

Given that at the time the Second was written, CC was unregulated everywhere, it is kind of an open question if they thought it was protected by the second or not...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2021, 02:42:12 PM »
But since they didn't specify any "manner of carrying," the default is "any method of carrying."  That means in your hat or in your jock strap.  To specify manner of carrying or "bearing"  would be an infringement.

And once again, I point out the stated purpose of the ten amendments was to cement these rights in writing:

"The Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added..."

I further point out that the Second Amendment is possibly the shortest and most concise statement restricting the power of government in the entire constitution, and was carefully thought out, phrased, and ratified, even after the Constitution itself was adopted.

It males me think they meant it.

There I stand.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://drexel.edu/ogcr/resources/constitution/amendments/preamble/

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 03:13:06 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2021, 03:22:17 PM »
But since they didn't specify any "manner of carrying," the default is "any method of carrying."  That means in your hat or in your jock strap.  To specify manner of carrying or "bearing"  would be an infringement.

I understand your point, and I happen to agree. However, the supreme courts of multiple states disagree. Those courts have ruled that the states may regulate -- but not prohibit -- the carry of firearms. Therefore, if they wish to prohibit concealed carry, then open carry must be allowed. If they wish to prohibit open carry, then concealed carry must be allowed.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2021, 03:38:46 PM »
Me: "... was carefully thought out..."

How do you spell "infirinjmint'?

And the "supreme courts" of the states are not the "Supreme Court" ("SCOTUS") and are only ruling on their own constitutions.

And while the Bill of Rights was formally "incorporated to the States" only recently, that does not mean that it was not "incorporated to the States" in all the time before that.

Colorado has some weasel words in its "Bill of Rights" where, while prohibited from calling into question the right to keep arms, this does not mean that concealed carry can not be regulated. (The precise wording is not available to me at this instant.)

Clearly this is unconstitutional in light of the incorporation to the states of the second amendment... despite that Colorado's constitution was adopted in 1876, long before the federal supreme court only recently took up the question of incorporation to the states.

There I stand.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:02:58 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2021, 03:47:04 PM »
While at the same time if you attempt to put any, and I mean any, sort of restriction on abortion libs heads explode. Because, you know, abortion is a right guarantied by the constitution.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »
Oh, Jesis H. Krist, don't start that one.  Talk about thread tsunami. Not helpful, WLJ.

Maybe that's one of the ones which should be left to the states, or to the people.

Let that neverending issue be ended in this thread.  There are enough other forums to haggle out that question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »

And the "supreme courts" of the states are not the "Supreme Court" ("SCOTUS") and are only ruling on their own constitutions.

Correct. And each of those state constitutions has a right to keep and bear arms provision that is close to the wording of the federal Second Amendment.

And while the Bill of Rights was formally "incorporated to the States" only recently, that does not mean that it was not "incorporated to the States" in all the time before that.
The Bill of Rights was incorporated only recently? Where'd you hear THAT?

Are you thinking of the fact that the McDonald decision ruled that the 2A applies to the states? That was 2010, so I guess that's comparatively recent. But that was only the Second Amendment. I'm pretty certain most of the other nine amendments in the Bill of Rights had been incorporated long before the McDonald case.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »
In the 1800's there were some commentators that said the Second applied to the states, but most courts said it did not- however the Supreme Court actually said states could not disarm the citizens, as it would prevent them from serving in the militia, regardless of the second amendment.

The people who wrote the 14th amendment clearly stated they intended to protect the right to bear arms... black people were being disarmed and murdered, and the 14th amendment was intended to protect against this, among other things.

The courts, however, basically ignored the 14th amendment for a long time.  It wasn't until recently, as we know, that the 14th amendment was declared by the court to apply the Second to the states as well... it was a very, very tardy ruling.

Unfortunately, the courts are overwhelmingly packed with people who distain gun rights, and so these rulings have had almost no effect... and the supreme court has, as of now, basically done nothing about it.  We will see if this changes soon.