Author Topic: Because math is racist ...  (Read 1134 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Because math is racist ...
« on: April 22, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »
... at least accelerated math in Virginia:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-accelerated-math-courses-equity

The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is moving to eliminate all accelerated math options prior to 11th grade, effectively keeping higher-achieving students from advancing as they usually would in the school system.

Loudoun County school board member Ian Serotkin posted about the change via Facebook on Tuesday. According to Serotkin, he learned of the change the night prior during a briefing from staff on the Virginia Mathematics Pathway Initiative (VMPI).

I foresee an accelerated exodus from the Virginia public school system.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Because math is racist ...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 06:43:25 PM »
So policy makers in the U.S. complain that students from other countries are better than U.S. students in STEM subjects, so our solution is to DEemphasize mathematics?

Does ... not ... compute. Error. Gross mismatch between input and output.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 06:47:33 PM »
Man, that VA school system is whack. Every day I read something that's nuttier than the day before.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:27:05 PM »
So policy makers in the U.S. complain that students from other countries are better than U.S. students in STEM subjects, so our solution is to DEemphasize mathematics?

Does ... not ... compute. Error. Gross mismatch between input and output.

Logic is racist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 08:37:44 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 11:59:06 PM »
Part of the article states that:
The Virginia Mathematics Pathway Initiative shifts to a focus on and value for deeper learning through differentiated instruction on grade level that will promote student development of critical thinking, authentic application and problem solving skills.
They don't want the people to have those skills as that would make them too "independent" to be "controlled" by Big Brother.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 12:19:35 AM »
The Virginia Mathematics Pathway Initiative shifts to a focus on and value for deeper learning through differentiated instruction on grade level that will promote student development of critical thinking, authentic application and problem solving skills.

Man, if that isn't a huge, stinkin' pile of psychobabble pooh, I don't know what is. What is there about "critical thinking, authentic application, and problem solving skills" that isn't part and parcel of mathematics?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 01:21:10 AM »
Just wait until these people start building bridges and stuff. Oh wait I think some of them do already.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 01:51:04 AM »
Just wait until these people start building bridges and stuff. Oh wait I think some of them do already.

We need a law requiring that all buildings, dams, and bridges designed by these mental midgets be prominently placarded with signs announcing "This [building/dam/bridge] designed using the New Math -- [enter/use] at your own risk."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 08:53:56 AM »
Enhancing opportunities for STEM directed education is racist, M'kay?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »
So... what they are trying to say is black people are too stupid to do advanced math? 

;/

That is crazy....and evil.

They are pretending to help kids by dumbing down their education. 

(The exact same thing is happening on the college level, in my experience.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 09:35:03 AM »
And people wonder why the Chinese, Indians, Japanese, South Koreans, etc., are eating our *expletive deleted*ing lunches in developing highly technical students.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:42:14 AM »
If you sat down and drew out a plan to turn the US into a broken divided 3rd world country how would it be any different from what they're doing?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
And people wonder why the Chinese, Indians, Japanese, South Koreans, etc., are eating our *expletive deleted*ing lunches in developing highly technical students.

Asian peoples, whether by culture and/or genetics, have always seemed predisposed to being naturally good at math and similar logic-oriented disciplines. But lets hold ourselves back even further by artificially making ourselves dumber.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »
Part of the article states that:They don't want the people to have those skills as that would make them too "independent" to be "controlled" by Big Brother.

I believe this has been the over-arching motivation in public schools for many decades.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 04:40:32 PM »
If you sat down and drew out a plan to turn the US into a broken divided 3rd world country how would it be any different from what they're doing?

It would be stretched out over a longer time line.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »
So... what they are trying to say is black people are too stupid to do advanced math? 

;/

That is crazy....and evil.

They are pretending to help kids by dumbing down their education. 

(The exact same thing is happening on the college level, in my experience.)

That is exactly what they're saying. "Anti-racism" is racism.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife