Author Topic: Ah google...  (Read 1128 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Ah google...
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:32:47 AM »

I got this unsolicited popup trying to find the address of a business.  The option for searching for male owned businesses seems suspiciously absent....

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Ah google...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »
Probably absent as a choice just because it's the default.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:41:58 PM »
Got that same popup just now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 02:45:25 PM »
I got that, too. I really need to stop using the Googley Maps.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »
How dare they assume someone's gender.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 09:40:48 AM »
And now maps will no longer default to the fastest route, but rather to the "least polluting" route. Woke jackasses.

The article says there is supposed to be away to revert to the "fast" default. We'll see I guess. The change is supposed to be in the next update.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/google-maps-to-base-directions-on-fuel-consumption_id131630
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »
They describe it as " the most fuel-efficient way to get to point "B" from point "A."" Doesn't bother me as long as there's an option to change to fastest route.
I just wonder how reliable it is in figuring out the most "fuel efficient" route and wouldn't the fastest route usually be the "most fuel efficient" one anyway?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:24:27 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 10:26:47 AM »
They describe it as " the most fuel-efficient way to get to point "B" from point "A."" Doesn't bother me as long as there's an option to change to fastest route.
I just wonder how reliable it is in figuring out the most "fuel efficient" route.

I'm going to guess that for some majority of routes, fastest and most fuel efficient will be the same thing, either good or bad. I have often used maps in places I'm very familiar with to see how it does, and more often than not, the route is neither the fastest nor most fuel efficient. In one area, moving over one street literally saved you 10 minutes on a 30 minute route, and avoided all the red lights on the google route.

As much as I despise google these days, I know asking it to be "perfect" everywhere is very difficult. My main reason for using google maps is getting to places I'm not at all familiar with, regardless of if it's the optimum route or not. I just want to get there. Like when I was working and TDY someplace that got me in at like 2300. All I cared about was getting myself to the hotel to get some sleep. Maps will almost always get you to the correct destination, regardless of route efficiency.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 10:31:46 AM »
I'm going to guess that for some majority of routes, fastest and most fuel efficient will be the same thing, either good or bad.

Your post beat my edit of adding in that very question.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 04:34:54 PM »
To truly determine the most fuel-efficient route, Der Google vill need to know zee make and model of car you are driving.  Ja?

They also need to know your driving habits.  Are you a speeder or a slow boater.

Top Gear did an episode years ago showing how a BMW M3 got better fuel economy than a Prius.  It is all about driving style.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 05:22:11 PM »
I think this mostly means the default will be shortest distance route, rather than shortest time.

Does anyone know if the GoogleMaps does anything in the way of suggesting routes that would reduce traffic congestion. I.e., suggest a certain percentage of users take route A, then suggest route B for another group, and so on, to avoid having too many people on the same roads at the same time. Reducing idle times could help with pollution.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 05:28:42 PM »
I think this mostly means the default will be shortest distance route, rather than shortest time.

Does anyone know if the GoogleMaps does anything in the way of suggesting routes that would reduce traffic congestion. I.e., suggest a certain percentage of users take route A, then suggest route B for another group, and so on, to avoid having too many people on the same roads at the same time. Reducing idle times could help with pollution.

It is aware of traffic congestion and will offer alternate routes around it.  It is reactive; not proactive or provisioning.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 06:55:20 PM »

I would think the shortest route with a bunch of stop lights won't be as efficient as a highway route that is a bit longer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 08:25:34 PM »
I would think the shortest route with a bunch of stop lights won't be as efficient as a highway route that is a bit longer.

Fair enough. I should have said the shorter route, that might take a few minutes extra.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 08:50:35 AM »
Oh, brother. Apparently as part of this, they are also reprioritizing how businesses show up in maps based on their "eco-friendliness", also allowing crowdsourcing to tell us all if a business is good or bad. The SJWs who don't have jobs are going spend their time dropping businesses down the search list simply because somebody at the business threw an aluminum can in the trash. This stealth censorship is getting ridiculous.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/google-announces-a-new-google-maps-feature-that-makes-perfect-sense-today-159865.html

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 09:01:06 PM »
Oh, brother. Apparently as part of this, they are also reprioritizing how businesses show up in maps based on their "eco-friendliness", also allowing crowdsourcing to tell us all if a business is good or bad. The SJWs who don't have jobs are going spend their time dropping businesses down the search list simply because somebody at the business threw an aluminum can in the trash. This stealth censorship is getting ridiculous.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/google-announces-a-new-google-maps-feature-that-makes-perfect-sense-today-159865.html

So, like a social credit score. Awesome.