Author Topic: A Pformer Pharma guy's musing on the 'Rona vaccines...  (Read 607 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
A Pformer Pharma guy's musing on the 'Rona vaccines...
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
You know, back when I was in the labs, and helping the honchos put together presentations for the big stockholder meetings...

A vaccine that would trash the common cold would be considered the holy grail of gold mines.

Why didn't they do that until now?
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
Re: A Pformer Pharma guy's musing on the 'Rona vaccines...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 09:17:30 PM »
There is more $$$ in doing research and spreading out the joy over decades would be my thought.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »
Never heard that viewpoint from the money guys... They were always "hurry, but be safe."
Blog under construction

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »
Do these vaccines "trash the common cold?" I hadn't heard that.

As far as "spreading out the joy" as grampster puts it, there isn't a pharma company that would delay the release of a cure for the common cold if they developed one. The cure would be worth much more than the grant money they might be getting. These companies often spend millions on research that never actually creates any profits in the long run.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 09:58:09 AM »
The coronavirus is one of several that are tagged with causing the common cold. I suspect the Chinese modded this one a bit.

The average new drug costs about a billion dollars to get it okayed by the FDA. About the same as setting up an automotive assembly line. At least with that, you know you're gonna have at least one car.
Blog under construction

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »
Honestly, the increased mask-wearing, hand-washing, physical distancing, etc. in the last year have probably done more to reduce incidences of the common cold than all the various OTC products have in the last 30 years.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 12:31:22 PM »
The coronavirus is one of several that are tagged with causing the common cold. I suspect the Chinese modded this one a bit.

The average new drug costs about a billion dollars to get it okayed by the FDA. About the same as setting up an automotive assembly line. At least with that, you know you're gonna have at least one car.

Many human corona viruses cause cold like symptoms, not "the" corona virus. "the" being Covid-19 and it's mutations.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »
"The" 'Rona virus causes cold-like symptoms. And a couple of others. The "someone just sprayed CS gas up my sinuses" was pretty nasty.

The extra symptoms are why I think it was tinkered with.

And some of the "after-effects" seem to be linked to treatment. I'm wondering about the mechanism for the taste/smell loss tho...
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
"The" 'Rona virus causes cold-like symptoms. And a couple of others. The "someone just sprayed CS gas up my sinuses" was pretty nasty.

The extra symptoms are why I think it was tinkered with.

And some of the "after-effects" seem to be linked to treatment. I'm wondering about the mechanism for the taste/smell loss tho...

I got both of my vaccines in March, which is is nearing the end of the winter cold season where I live. This cold and flu season has probably been the easiest on me, I can't say it was the vaccine, but probably from more conscience hygiene practices on my part and staying the F away from people. As 5th column stated.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 02:23:34 PM »
I got both of my vaccines in March, which is is nearing the end of the winter cold season where I live. This cold and flu season has probably been the easiest on me, I can't say it was the vaccine, but probably from more conscience hygiene practices on my part and staying the F away from people. As 5th column stated.
I would add that I don't know how good masks are in general, but that likely did help reduce the number of people sneezing and coughing in public places.  I never caught anything over the Winter and I usually catch something even if normally mild.  I guess everyone was taking more dietary supplements also.

Working from home a lot and everyone taking extra care not to be at work when sick likely helped also.

I guess that just means the Super-Cold Virus will hit us soon.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »
Well, as an essential employee, who has to work with the public, and who also has to wear a face diaper... I hate the things.

They embolden the hell out of the "grab'n'dash" thieves. And other low-lifes.

And I didn't test positive, but I missed two weeks of December in bed with a fever running between 101 and 102.5...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 04:27:30 PM »
I had a coworker who we think had the 'rona.  Had all the typical symptoms, but tested negative twice.  We ended up calling it that for sick time purposes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge