Author Topic: David "Harvard Man" Hogg  (Read 11630 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: David "Harvard Man" Hogg
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 06:55:54 AM »
I graduated high school in 1990.  I was thinking 1200 was either the top score or pretty well up there at that time.  It has changed a bit since this I guess. 

I graduated HS in 1983. SAT perfect at that time was 1600.

The first time I took the SAT in 11th grade I think I got 1010.

Second time I took it I think I got 1320, and the lion's share of that was in the language section. God knows it wasn't in the math section.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 08:06:56 AM »
I graduated HS in 1983. SAT perfect at that time was 1600.

The first time I took the SAT in 11th grade I think I got 1010.

Second time I took it I think I got 1320, and the lion's share of that was in the language section. God knows it wasn't in the math section.

1600 is still a perfect score. The national average in 2021 was 1051.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2022, 09:24:23 AM »
Harvard:  "Please sit, Mr. Hogg."
David Hogg sits down.
Harvard:  "Perfect SAT score, Mr. Hogg.  You're admitted."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2022, 10:00:51 AM »
It's my understanding that today's SAT is different from what it was 40 or 50 years ago, so scores are not directly comparable. "Perfect" scores were unheard of back then, and there was NEVER any feedback on what questions you got wrong.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2022, 07:24:26 AM »
""Perfect" scores were unheard of back then"

Certainly not.

I know 6 or 7 people who got perfect SAT scores in the early 1980s -- 2 were friends of mine and the others were college classmates.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2022, 08:13:14 AM »
I took mine in the early '70s, and don't remember any chatter about perfect scores back then.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2022, 11:48:09 AM »
There have always been the odd “perfect score” on the SAT.  It’s uncommon, and it should be.  But out of several million exams per year you’re bound to have a handful that get a perfect score. Before the 90’s we just didn’t always hear about it in the news.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2022, 03:01:24 PM »
It may also be that with the advent of "prep classes" for these tests, more people are concentrating on the relevant types of questions.  This way the kids are less distracted with peripheral knowledge that doesn't benefit their scores.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2022, 03:37:37 PM »
There have always been the odd “perfect score” on the SAT.  It’s uncommon, and it should be.  But out of several million exams per year you’re bound to have a handful that get a perfect score. Before the 90’s we just didn’t always hear about it in the news.

Now days you just have to have the money to hire someone smart to take the test for you or have the answers changed post-test. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2022, 10:06:54 PM »
It may also be that with the advent of "prep classes" for these tests, more people are concentrating on the relevant types of questions.  This way the kids are less distracted with peripheral knowledge that doesn't benefit their scores.

I took the SATs in the 1960s. Perfect scores were certainly possible, but rare. I took the PSAT once as a junior, and the SATs twice as a senior. That was basically "it" for my prep -- as it was for all my classmates. I don't remember what my scores were precisely, but they added up to about 1525, IIRC. Close, but no rubber ducky. Others of my classmates did better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2022, 01:49:11 PM »
Biden is going to redefine a firearm with a pen.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2022, 07:34:35 PM »
Biden is going to redefine a firearm with a pen.

He can try, but he (his puppeteers) don't get to make law.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2022, 10:07:19 PM »

Trump redefined machinegun. And they get to spend a bunch of taxpayer money in court and this admin just ignores the courts.

If we need to put a serial number on our parts, I'm thinking FJB!, FJB2.....

Pb

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2022, 09:48:40 AM »

Government regulatory agencies do this constantly.  The courts will let them. 

Pb

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2022, 09:50:12 AM »
I think the ghost gun thing basically says that anything intended to make into a gun receiver is already a receiver, and must be transferred via an FFL.  So, he is trying to kill home gun making.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 10:44:42 AM by Pb »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2022, 12:20:39 PM »
As I said in the other thread, the folks really interested in making guns are already well past this stage.

The 80% pistols will be in real trouble, and 80%ar  lowers and AK/G3 flats, but homemade guns are too easy, and have become too much of a political statement to go away. They'll just adjust the jigs and/or cutting software to start with a billet.

And that assumes that something like "intended to be made into a reciever" passes judicial scrutiny, which is not a sure bet.

The next step is a prefab, cheap, desktop CNC. The chinese mills are *almost* there.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2022, 12:38:07 PM »
Someone needs to carry in a shovel and the video of the guy making it into an AK.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2022, 11:53:46 PM »
Someone needs to carry in a shovel and the video of the guy making it into an AK.

No, because then we'll have BATFE agents outside every Ace Hardware store, busting anyone who buys a shovel for "constructive possession."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2022, 12:17:15 AM »
FWIW, back in 1978 or so, I hit mid 1400s and the SAT, and a 29 on the ACT... And it was the best in my high school... I went from being considered the weird guy to being the weird genius guy... (we'd never told them about other test scores).

Had to retake the asvab in the mid 1980s when I was getting ready to do the army thing. I showed up after a night of VERY hard partying - had not been to sleep yet, was still trashed and wired. The sgt in charge looked at me like I was some sort of mutant. I guess I was. I blew through it, and he walks back in looking kind of shocked, asked me what I wanted to do, and the only thing that was out of the question was anything requiring 20/20 vision... and then tried to talk me into going to Monterrey for the language school. At the time, I wasn't interested in learning Arabic... Sigh...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2022, 10:25:25 AM »
"Buy off politicians".  ;/

I would echo one of the comments that if billionaires throwing money at it would create gun control, it would have happened already if gun control was at all popular.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/23/david-hoggs-slam-on-bloomberg-funded-gun-control-groups-speaks-inadvertent-volumes/

I don't know if it's currently accurate, or if I'm misrembering, but I recall reading some time ago that the amount of money thrown into gun control was some staggering amount higher than the money being put into gun rights.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2022, 11:05:15 AM »
There's not much the individual citizen can do . . . for myself, as a juror I would never convict someone of breaking a mere regulation, only - maybe - an actual law.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »
"Buy off politicians".  ;/

I would echo one of the comments that if billionaires throwing money at it would create gun control, it would have happened already if gun control was at all popular.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/23/david-hoggs-slam-on-bloomberg-funded-gun-control-groups-speaks-inadvertent-volumes/

I don't know if it's currently accurate, or if I'm misrembering, but I recall reading some time ago that the amount of money thrown into gun control was some staggering amount higher than the money being put into gun rights.

I would argue that the Bloomberg Initiative on gun control has been very successful in Washington state.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »
I know he's untouchable, but say Hogg was not of the blue check nobility. Would publicly stating an intent to buy politicians have consequences for someone trying to work as a lawyer or lobbyist?

Also, is his frustration with the process a part of that insurrectionny threat to democracy I've been hearing about?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2022, 02:26:19 PM »
He's not untouchable, he's unreachable.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes