Author Topic: Hip replacement costs  (Read 599 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Hip replacement costs
« on: May 06, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »
So the bills are coming in, and it looks as though the total cost is going to be just over $ 92,000.  $ 3600 for the surgical fee and $ 88,000 for the hospital.  On the plus side, the salvage value for my corpse has gone up if they can recover the titanium parts.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Hip replacement costs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:53:48 AM »
Is your private insurance going to eat most or all of it?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 11:07:58 AM »
Is your private insurance going to eat most or all of it?

Yes. I am probably going to end up paying around 10%.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 11:41:20 AM »
When I had mine done 3 yeas ago I was out of pocket about $10K. That was insurance out-of-pocket/deductible, prescription co-pays, physical therapy co-pays and the 5 days pay that my short term disability didn't cover and my wife's missed work time taking are of me. As well as miscellaneous incidentals that the insurance didn't cover.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »
Any discounts for offering the pay the amount immediately and in full? From what I can tell, a lot of billing is designed around people making installments (or not paying at all).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »
Any discounts for offering the pay the amount immediately and in full? From what I can tell, a lot of billing is designed around people making installments (or not paying at all).

Brad

Not that I saw.  The bill payment notice came via MyChart, and I was able to conveniently pay the entire amount via credit card.  They did have a payment plan option, but I did not click on that.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 01:13:05 PM »

Brad

Sometimes that is a bad joke. My insurance denied payment on part of my last shoulder surgery. My bill for the denied part was just shy of $13K. If I couldn't pay all at once they generously offered to let me make 12 easy payments of $1100 a month.
I fought with the hospital, the insurance and the doctors office for several month to no avail, but the hospital did finally grant me a 70% self pay discount.
I could have paid that amount in full but I'm dragging it out on a monthly no interest payment plan just to make them wait for the money.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 02:45:18 PM »
Out of my total cost, I am honestly surprised the surgical cost by the orthopedist is so low.  One preop visit, two post op visits, a 3.5 hour surgery and rounding on me for both hospital days.  I am sure that the actual billed cost was higher, but a big chunk was sliced out due to the clinic being a preferred provider with Regence. 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 05:50:58 PM »
Sounds like it costs an arm and a leg.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 02:35:05 AM »
$10k doesn't seem that bad for an extra 20 or 30 years of not being in a wheelchair.