Author Topic: Midway USA to sell WWII M-1 carbines  (Read 3334 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Midway USA to sell WWII M-1 carbines
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2021, 01:20:39 AM »
I'm surprised that nobody has copied the stock, and stuffed a 9mm action/barrel in there... That little stock is why I like 'em.
Blog under construction

JN01

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2021, 01:24:45 AM »
I'm surprised that nobody has copied the stock, and stuffed a 9mm action/barrel in there... That little stock is why I like 'em.

You mean like this: https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product.php?id=202

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2021, 02:04:26 AM »
So M1 carbine value has outpaced inflation by better than a factor of 2.  Good to know.

I usually use 1.035 (3.5%) as a long-term inflation rate (Google has it slightly higher) which makes it about $488 for 61 years.

Actual rate for those numbers ( $59.95 > $540.87, 61 years)  is 1.0367 (3.67%) or so.  I'm not sure where you get the "doubling or better."

Checking:

(1 plus decimalized inflation rate)number of periods X old value = new value

1.036761 X  $59.95 = $540.29

Terry, 230RN

NOTE: The inflation rates Google and I use are not the government inflation rates, which are just plain stupid in the real world. The government's SIR (Stupid Inflation Rate) is now only about 2.6% per year.  Using that stupidly low rate,  that carbine should cost $287.00. So now I'm thinkin' that's maybe how Angel Eyes got those "better than twice" numbers after all.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 02:41:31 AM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
I was referring to the fact that the carbines listed on Midway's website start at $1200 each, which more than double WLJ's figure of $540.29.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
That is the main problem with M1 Carbines.  The cost.  A 1930's design from when it was cheaper to build than now.  I am tempted to try to sell mine and get a WWII serial numbered rifle, but only a little tempted.

What I would love to see is someone make a new, lightweight, small rifle that shoots 30 carbine and is more reliable.  I figure it would be more expensive than people were willing to pay.  Another idea I heard was making a shrunk down M1 Garand rifle that used clips with 10 rounds of 223 (or 6.8 SPC).  It would need to be designed to be nearly 100% CNC built and would likely still be more expensive than most would pay.  A basic AR is just cheaper and easier to build even if it has to be modified for ban states. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2021, 10:06:19 AM »
That is the main problem with M1 Carbines.  The cost.  A 1930's design from when it was cheaper to build than now.  I am tempted to try to sell mine and get a WWII serial numbered rifle, but only a little tempted.

What I would love to see is someone make a new, lightweight, small rifle that shoots 30 carbine and is more reliable. I figure it would be more expensive than people were willing to pay.  Another idea I heard was making a shrunk down M1 Garand rifle that used clips with 10 rounds of 223 (or 6.8 SPC).  It would need to be designed to be nearly 100% CNC built and would likely still be more expensive than most would pay.  A basic AR is just cheaper and easier to build even if it has to be modified for ban states.

Functionally that's an AR in .300 BLK.  .30 Carbine is 110gr@ ~2000FPS and .300BLK (supersonic) is 125gr @~2200FPS.  Other than nostalgia there's nothing a new manufactured rifle in .30 Carbine brings to the table that isn't covered by better, cheaper to make designs.

I'd like to grab one of those M1's for the nostalgia, but that's right on the edge of "worth it" money wise.  I'd have to sell some other guns to justify that.  IDK, I have a couple of days to think about it.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »
I was referring to the fact that the carbines listed on Midway's website start at $1200 each, which more than double WLJ's figure of $540.29.

Ah, OK, I gotcha.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 10:28:43 AM »

I'd like to grab one of those M1's for the nostalgia, but that's right on the edge of "worth it" money wise.  I'd have to sell some other guns to justify that.  IDK, I have a couple of days to think about it.

You have to shoot a carbine to "get" it.

There are a bunch of photos from WWII, both theatres, where they are carrying carbines.  I read where they were often preferred to the rifle. I believe Audie Murphy carried one for clearing buildings.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:41:21 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 10:53:12 AM »
Functionally that's an AR in .300 BLK.  .30 Carbine is 110gr@ ~2000FPS and .300BLK (supersonic) is 125gr @~2200FPS.  Other than nostalgia there's nothing a new manufactured rifle in .30 Carbine brings to the table that isn't covered by better, cheaper to make designs.

You are correct.  I think that is another reason it wouldn't happen. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »

There are a bunch of photos from WWII, both theatres, where they are carrying carbines.  I read where they were often preferred to the rifle. I believe Audie Murphy carried one for clearing buildings.
At that time, there weren't many guns that were its equal at that sort of range.  More powerful than the submachine guns, but more capacity and lighter than the rifles.  I think if the cartridge had used a rifle style bullet instead of a pistol style bullet, it might still be used a lot more today.  Lasted in service a long time. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »

I've shot one.  They're fun to shoot, and certainly historical, rifles.  That's why I'm mulling this over, rather than just saying "too rich for my blood".  I have a C&R in part because I like old, cool, not particularly practical firearms.

But it's still right on the edge of "worth it" for me.  I could buy a nice K98 and something else for that much scratch, or a nice luger. (both of which are missing from my WWII collection)  and I'd have to sell a newer and more practical firearm (or two) to fund it.

They are cool though.  I'm still mulling it over.

*FWIW, I'd bet good money that if you fired up a TARDIS and offered Audie Murphy an M4 with an Aimpoint to clear buildings he'd jump on it.  He used a M1 carbine because it was the best available at the time.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 12:50:36 PM »
With prices starting at around $1200 - presumably for the lowest grade rifles - and going up to over $2k for the good stuff, I'm going to pass on these.

I just don't think they're worth that much more than I paid for my service grade CMP Garands.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »
With prices starting at around $1200 - presumably for the lowest grade rifles - and going up to over $2k for the good stuff, I'm going to pass on these.

I just don't think they're worth that much more than I paid for my service grade CMP Garands.

Inflation is an MFer.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2021, 02:21:24 PM »
Inflation has nothing to do with the price of these guns.

Collectability and availability drives the prices.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »
It's a joke, Gramps.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2021, 03:17:19 PM »
The CMP still has Garands for sale in the $700 range.  Inflation hasn't gone up a lot for everything.   =)

230RN

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »
I bought one when I was 18, sold it when I was 22. It was the least accurate rifle I every owned. I had a hard time getting anything smaller than a 10" group at 100 yards. I bought it to shoot coyotes after chasing them with a truck over beanfields. Never hit a coyote with it, shot at many.

It was a replacement for the pistol. Pistol.  Not meant for long ranges.  Mine did better than 10MOA most of the time. I found mine were fairly wind-sensitive at "stretched" ranges.  I did try reloading them with those 100 grain plinkers by (manufacturer) and found that was a waste of powder and primers.

I can't help but agree that Audie Murphy would prefer an M4.  If he could get one.  But one good feature of the Carbine nowadays is it isn't an EBR, and wouldn't threaten too many people into shivering hysteria.  I bet most non-gun people would think it was just a .22 by looking at it.

Dogmush, what joke are you talking about?

K-Frame, I'll leave your remark about inflation having nothing to do with gun prices all alone.  I'm just not sure what your underlying meaning was.  All prices are a result of the "Ohm's law" of supply and demand, but in the context of 1945 dollars versus 2021 dollars, i.e., dollars with a low value compared to 1945's.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:24:43 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2021, 08:19:07 AM »
It's a joke, Gramps.

For a few on this thread, I'd say yeah, it's a joke. For some? I think they're invested in the concept that it's outrageous that the current price of an M1 carbine has outstripped inflation...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2021, 02:24:56 PM »
For a few on this thread, I'd say yeah, it's a joke. For some? I think they're invested in the concept that it's outrageous that the current price of an M1 carbine has outstripped inflation...

Obviously, the Consumer Price Index needs to include M1 Carbines, Garands, and other surplus firearms..
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 08:05:38 AM »
Don't forget ammo.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2021, 01:37:56 PM »
Midway will not ship M1 carbines to California, even though they're perfectly legal in that state:

"Dear Customer,
Thank you for signing up for information about the M1 Carbines. We are very sorry, but due to the onerous requirements for labelling, warnings and specialized safety devices the M1 Carbines will not be offered for sale in California.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

MidwayUSA Customer Service"
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 09:47:01 AM »
Holy crap. Sale just started and most of the various options are already sold out.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »
Holy crap. Sale just started and most of the various options are already sold out.

Probably find many of them listed on Gun Broker with a hefty markup.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:37:53 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2021, 10:37:06 AM »
Probably find many of them on Gun Broker listed with a hefty markup.

No doubt.