Author Topic: Chrysler Turbine Car  (Read 773 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Chrysler Turbine Car
« on: May 18, 2021, 11:13:29 PM »
Chrysler Turbine Car Fire Up and Drive!
https://youtu.be/BYV5igR00bQ

Watch as the Chrysler Turbine Car fires up and drives. This car was in the news recently - acquired by Stahls Automotive Collection in Michigan. This is one of nine surviving Turbine Cars and one of five that actually runs.
Sounds pretty cool.  They do not make them like they used to. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Chrysler Turbine Car
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 11:20:35 PM »

They do not make them like they used to.

With that car, there probably is a reason why it never went to real production.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 12:48:58 AM »
With that car, there probably is a reason why it never went to real production.

The real reason it didn't go into production was the turbine engines alone would have cost $10,000 a pop.  That was in 1965.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 07:59:57 AM »
The real reason it didn't go into production was the turbine engines alone would have cost $10,000 a pop.  That was in 1965.

And turbine engines are designed to operate at a constant load, not a variable load how our vehicles are operated.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
And turbine engines are designed to operate at a constant load, not a variable load how our vehicles are operated.

In the case of these cars, the turbines performed quite well.  Fifty or so of the cars were released to the public on a random drawing basis, the cars being loaned to the drivers for a two month period.  The cars had a seventh generation engine and performed very well while they were in the field.

Lehto has another video on the subject that covers it quite well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGvx3WYg1k

As a side note, my father was working for Chrysler at this time as a district manager in the Pacific Northwest.  He was well aware of this particular version of the turbine car program, being quite enthusiastic about it.  I remember one of the loaner cars driving through our neighborhood when I was in the fifth grade.  Pretty cool stuff at the time for a kid my age.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.