Author Topic: Naval Jelly  (Read 539 times)

zahc

• friend
Naval Jelly
« on: May 13, 2021, 11:01:26 PM »
Sometimes I want to chemically remove rust. I know there is evapo-rust, but it's expensive. Can I just use phosphoric acid? What concentration?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Naval Jelly
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 11:41:56 PM »
What are you de-rusting?
I've used several methods over the years. Biggest PITA set up was electrolysis but I got damn good results.
I've used the WD-40 brand rust remover soak, worked fine, clean up was a bit messy.
I've also used just plain old white vinegar and it worked about as well as the WD-40 stuff and a damn sight cheaper.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 12:04:53 AM »
Project Farm did a test of some common rust removers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MC_ZEXQbw

TL;DW:

Best out of the tested products seems to be Muriatic Acid, Krud Kutter, Evapo Rust, Naval Jelly, and white vinegar, in that order.

Muriatic acid seems to work well if the item is durable, but it can cause etching, eats away non-metal bits, and doesn't protect item long term. Naval Jelly seems to be the choice for when you need something that won't flow. CLR & Coca-Cola were deemed useless or not worth bothering with.

He didn't test phosphoric acid (except for the small amount in Coca Cola).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 12:19:44 AM »
In my experience muriatic acid CAUSES rust, I don't doubt it probably removes rust too...on the other hand, I thought some acids would leave a mild oxide protection layer kind of like mill pickling.

Right now I need to de-rust a bearing bore. I'd rather remove the rust chemically before trying sandpaper or anything like that. I will try vinegar.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 12:30:14 AM »
I really like Evapo-rust.  It is expensive, but man, it does a nice job.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 01:19:17 AM »
In my experience muriatic acid CAUSES rust, I don't doubt it probably removes rust too...on the other hand, I thought some acids would leave a mild oxide protection layer kind of like mill pickling.

It completely strips the part down to fresh, bare metal, without any protective oxide layers. That's probably why it seems to cause rust.  I think he mentioned you need to paint/blue or whatever the part almost immediately after using it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 10:41:18 AM »
It completely strips the part down to fresh, bare metal, without any protective oxide layers. That's probably why it seems to cause rust.  I think he mentioned you need to paint/blue or whatever the part almost immediately after using it.

Yes that's what it does. We had a tank of it in the machine shop. Dunk clean but rusty part in tank and let it bubble away. Rinse with hot high pressure water then dunk in tank of rust inhibitor.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 12:30:27 PM »
I haven't tried it, and more setup is necessary, but I've heard good things about electrolysis. I'm debating setting something up like this guy has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-prcdrvb_E
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 01:57:46 PM »
An overnight bath in a Ziploc bag of vinegar worked really well, rust is all disappeared and leaving a thin film of black smut.
--Tallpine