Author Topic: Using Non-Ethanol to Prevent Tank Rust (C50 Boulevard)  (Read 380 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Using Non-Ethanol to Prevent Tank Rust (C50 Boulevard)
« on: May 14, 2021, 02:57:38 AM »
So a few weeks ago I traded a DWM Luger for a buddy's Suzuki 2007 C50 that needed a new fuel pump and injectors cleaned due to rust in the tank.  Those repairs are being done now. 
I do wonder though, would a tank rust as readily if only non-ethanol fuel was used.

The shop said they are confident the tank can be cleaned and coated, but I'm tempted to use only non-ethanol when I ride this summer.  I don't ride often, so the additional cost of 95 octane non-ethanol won't make much of a difference.  There are many stations locally that offer this fuel.

I would also be winterizing the bike properly unlike the previous owner.  Does this sound like something worth doing?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:10:04 AM by Snowdog »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Using Non-Ethanol to Prevent Tank Rust (C50 Boulevard)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 05:05:53 AM »
An 07 Suzuki should be able to handle e10 without problems, but no ethanol would be better.

For storage, I use no ethanol with marine 360 StaBil, and I've had no problems on my 03 Suzuki since new.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:27:20 AM »
Okay, if you're working on it yourself...

Pull the tank, and rinse it GOOD... At O'Reilly's, we sell a tank coating that a lot of older bike guys use... It'll take care of the pinholes, etc., that have developed, or which are about to develop. You'll probably have to ask the manager or the back room parts guy - it is not out front sold to public.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/red-kote/chemicals---fluids/maintenance-chemicals/specialty/fuel-tank-liner/918e2abc5d91/damon-industries-red-kote-fuel-tank-liner/dam1/redkote?q=fuel+tank+liner&pos=0
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
Oh, and... Sta-Bil works by putting a layer of sta-bil on top of the gas. It doesn't really mix with the gas. According to our seafoam rep, seafoam works about as well, and doesn't do the layer, which gets disturbed with movement.
Blog under construction

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 01:30:41 AM »
Store it in a cool dry place with non ethanol gas and a full tank.
Coincidence maybe, but the only time I ever had trouble storing fuel was when I used stabil in it. YMMV.