Author Topic: MarketWatch: Where can I move with cheap houses and fast internet?  (Read 3007 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-live-in-seattle-but-its-overrun-with-tech-workers-where-can-i-move-that-has-cheap-homes-and-fast-internet-speeds-11622602406

Someone is sick of the tech bros and housing prices in Seattle, and wants to move somewhere with a good airport, healthcare and fast internet.  The Midwest comes out very strong in the recommendations.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: MarketWatch: Where can I move with cheap houses and fast internet?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »
Define good airport? We got jet service to Chicago.

They are called ranch homes here, not ramblers.

Actual drive time, I am 2 hours from downtown Minneapolis/St. Paul and 105 minutes from Des Moines. 90 minutes from Mayo Clinic.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:54:37 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 03:50:03 PM »
MillCreek - you might want to check out the St. Louis area.  St. Charles city, northwest of St. Louis city, is actually closer to the airport and the County is growing by leaps and bounds.  I don't know about their level of internet service out there but things are growing so quickly, it may take a little time for cable (Spectrum) to catch up.
The problem is the WEATHER.  Being on the northwest side, many storms hit St. Charles county before it reaches St. Louis.  This includes thunderstorms, hail, strong winds, etc.
As I'm not a Missourian, I don't know about restrictions local municipalities may put on CC or OC but the state's rules are more relaxed.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »
Kansas city is terrible, downright terrible I tell you.  Guns everywhere, blood in the streets.  Terrible weather.  Everyone is a racist. 

Please, please don't move here with all your coastal money, BS, politics, and attitudes.   :P

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
Portland, Newark, Denver, Schaumburg, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Baltimore.  The list is long.  No reason to F up a good place, they should stay with their kind.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 04:08:53 PM »
The person in the article can't just move 50 miles out of Seattle and get the Starlink? Or else there seem to be plenty of blue areas that meet their needs. They would be happy in 80% of California, and much of CA real estate is far cheaper than Seattle.

I agree they need to stay with their own kind. In just a little over a year, I've seen the change around here because of the coastal liberal locusts telecommuters from the covid.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »
How many days of the year does Seattle actually look like this?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 04:17:59 PM »
The person in the article can't just move 50 miles out of Seattle and get the Starlink? Or else there seem to be plenty of blue areas that meet their needs. They would be happy in 80% of California, and much of CA real estate is far cheaper than Seattle.

I agree they need to stay with their own kind. In just a little over a year, I've seen the change around here because of the coastal liberal locusts telecommuters from the covid.
I would ask what they mean by "fast" internet.  In some areas, that can vary across a short distance.  Healthcare is good in a lot of places depending on what they need.  Growing up, we had airports within 100 miles.  That was good enough for me, but probably not what this person wants. 

Real estate is rising here.  I doubt anywhere in the triangle between Houston/Austin/San Antonio would have great land prices. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »
How many days of the year does Seattle actually look like this?

Probably around 90 days of the year, and you will get your highest chance from the 4th of July through mid-September.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-live-in-seattle-but-its-overrun-with-tech-workers-where-can-i-move-that-has-cheap-homes-and-fast-internet-speeds-11622602406

Someone is sick of the tech bros and housing prices in Seattle, and wants to move somewhere with a good airport, healthcare and fast internet.  The Midwest comes out very strong in the recommendations.

Boise should work for them, or eastern WA. No need to get east of the Rockies!

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 05:39:04 PM »
Boise should work for them,

Quiet, you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »

bob

Sign me up for Billings.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 07:21:46 PM »
Why do 90% of the responses always a big midwestern metro area. It's seriously cheap AF to live in the midwestern regional small city/big town. The towns that are 2 hours or more from a metro areas but still have all the conveniences because they are a hub.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 07:31:34 PM »
I'm 47 road miles from down town Tulsa. I have access to 1 GBPS fiber internet to the home. (100 meg works for my needs) The medical facilities in the next town up the road are  as good as any in the first world and if they can't do it there it's only 20-ish more miles to Tulsa.
Theatre, art, nightlife in Tulsa is a good as any 1M+ population center, not that I care for that but it's there.
Pretty decent craft brewery culture in the area and many of them are better than the typical bottle of pine-sol relabeled as an IPA.
Other than that, in my general neighborhood we are red neck AF. Moonshine, meth, the whole nine yards...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 12:04:49 AM »
St. Louis is VERY reasonable, and out in the country, for under $500k,  you can pretty much pick up a big tacky house...

The city is a patchwork of old money, gentrification, and badlands. I'm in a gentrified area. 20 years ago, it was borderline badlands. I paid $14k for the house, about another $14k to get occupancy. I'm still working on some stuff... I know some folks who bought $10k houses that were basically shells, and dumped in $20-50k a decade or so ago, and now they'd go for over $250k...

This is a few blocks north of me...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3939-Humphrey-St-Saint-Louis-MO-63116/2973897_zpid/

This house is over near the McCloskey's place:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31-Westmoreland-Pl-Saint-Louis-MO-63108/2989565_zpid/

This is about 20 or so blocks, as the crow flies, north of that $2 million dollar place...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1359-Montclair-Ave-Saint-Louis-MO-63112/2966169_zpid/

Holy Bleep: I just checked Zillow's estimate on my house: $91k... It was in the fifties a couple of years ago.

It's a tiny place, one bedroom, about 700ish square feet.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:48:52 AM by Bogie »
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
I'm 47 road miles from down town Tulsa. I have access to 1 GBPS fiber internet to the home. (100 meg works for my needs) The medical facilities in the next town up the road are  as good as any in the first world and if they can't do it there it's only 20-ish more miles to Tulsa.
Theatre, art, nightlife in Tulsa is a good as any 1M+ population center, not that I care for that but it's there.
Pretty decent craft brewery culture in the area and many of them are better than the typical bottle of pine-sol relabeled as an IPA.
Other than that, in my general neighborhood we are red neck AF. Moonshine, meth, the whole nine yards...
I would say that is generally common in most of the US.  It is to the South of you also.  A lot of those smaller cities/towns have a decent airport within an hour or two also.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »
I am similar to RKL in that we are 45 miles north of Seattle, have 300 Mbps connectivity, a feeder airport is 23 miles away, SeaTac airport is 50 miles away, a major hospital is 20 miles away and all of the medical, business and cultural offerings of Seattle are down the road.  However, even as far out as we are, housing prices are still very high and the traffic in the area is terrible.  With all the issues in downtown Seattle, we go there infrequently. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 10:54:17 AM »
I am similar to RKL in that we are 45 miles north of Seattle, have 300 Mbps connectivity, a feeder airport is 23 miles away, SeaTac airport is 50 miles away, a major hospital is 20 miles away and all of the medical, business and cultural offerings of Seattle are down the road.  However, even as far out as we are, housing prices are still very high and the traffic in the area is terrible.  With all the issues in downtown Seattle, we go there infrequently.

Once again folks are talking about towns in a greater metro area, why don't they talk about towns further out. It's seriously cheap AF to live in those towns and basic needs are met, you might not be able to get avocado toast at the local coffee shop but there is gig internet available. The public schools are usually very good in those towns, so you don't need to send kids to private school, kiddo is probably going to be able to play whatever sport they want since there is usually just enough kids to fill the roster.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 11:13:05 AM »
^^^I don't know about the others, but for us, it is so there is a reasonable commuting distance to our jobs.  My wife is back in the classroom full time and I am back in the healthcare system full time in the office.  Neither of us would have these jobs at these levels available in smaller towns and we cannot do them work from home full time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 11:18:18 AM »

bob

Friend of mine sent me a news clip from a Boise TV station the other week... Prices are SKYROCKETING in Boise, up something over 30% over the last year and the average time on market for a home right now is in the low single digits.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 11:29:25 AM »
^^^I don't know about the others, but for us, it is so there is a reasonable commuting distance to our jobs.  My wife is back in the classroom full time and I am back in the healthcare system full time in the office.  Neither of us would have these jobs at these levels available in smaller towns and we cannot do them work from home full time.

You're both late in your careers, someone starting out or mid career there is plenty of opportunities here. My circle of friends in town includes teachers, doctors, lawyers, nurses, engineers, computer programmers, accountants, pharmacists, bureaucrats, administrators, warehouse workers, factory workers, mechanics, equipment operators, farmers, retail staff, etc.

I moved here mid career because I saw how much cheaper it was than iving in a greater metro area where I was living. I have yet to find a day where there is nothing to do in town, not including the recent covid time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:27:06 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 12:10:04 PM »
They wouldn't like Cincinnati, we are backwards and hey we put chili and cheese on spaghetti and call it a 3 Way.  Please stay where you are.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 12:12:24 PM »
Friend of mine sent me a news clip from a Boise TV station the other week... Prices are SKYROCKETING in Boise, up something over 30% over the last year and the average time on market for a home right now is in the low single digits.

And all homes in the area are in bidding wars. I was talking to my realtor the other day and she said no homes are selling for asking price. It's affected the outlying areas as well. Even out where I live. My place has gone up so much in the last two years from my purchase price (which I kinda lowballed at the time and still got) that as much as I hate moving and love living here, I'm almost thinking about buying a house and 1000 acres in Alabama or somewhere else cheap and having money left over.  :laugh:

I have been hating this. Boise was already making all these stupid "#1 place to live" lists for several years before the covid, but there was still a good mix of conservative/liberals making the move (good mix being more conservatives than libs). Covid has really changed that and now jackasses are all moving in. I'm still far enough out that I should have at least ten years of protection from subdivisions even at this current rate, but I was really hoping for 20-30 years. The other rural place I almost bought has already become a Boise satellite, just because it's between the Boise metro and McCall (popular mountain resort town).

Sometimes I wish I had just moved to Bonner's Ferry up in the Panhandle by the Canadian border, since it still has the reputation as a white supremacy militia town and is avoided by the undesirables. At the time, one of my reasons for moving here was proximity to medical, etc. Now that I've been here over two years, I've gotten so used to minimum 30 minute drives for stuff outside of basics that they are like 10 minute drives where I used to live. Bonners Ferry to the largish town of Sandpoint is 30 minutes, and it's only 1.5 hours to CDA. I drive an hour to go to Boise now, if there's no traffic.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
And all homes in the area are in bidding wars. I was talking to my realtor the other day and she said no homes are selling for asking price. It's affected the outlying areas as well. Even out where I live. My place has gone up so much in the last two years from my purchase price (which I kinda lowballed at the time and still got) that as much as I hate moving and love living here, I'm almost thinking about buying a house and 1000 acres in Alabama or somewhere else cheap and having money left over.  :laugh:

I have been hating this. Boise was already making all these stupid "#1 place to live" lists for several years before the covid, but there was still a good mix of conservative/liberals making the move (good mix being more conservatives than libs). Covid has really changed that and now jackasses are all moving in. I'm still far enough out that I should have at least ten years of protection from subdivisions even at this current rate, but I was really hoping for 20-30 years. The other rural place I almost bought has already become a Boise satellite, just because it's between the Boise metro and McCall (popular mountain resort town).

Sometimes I wish I had just moved to Bonner's Ferry up in the Panhandle by the Canadian border, since it still has the reputation as a white supremacy militia town and is avoided by the undesirables. At the time, one of my reasons for moving here was proximity to medical, etc. Now that I've been here over two years, I've gotten so used to minimum 30 minute drives for stuff outside of basics that they are like 10 minute drives where I used to live. Bonners Ferry to the largish town of Sandpoint is 30 minutes, and it's only 1.5 hours to CDA. I drive an hour to go to Boise now, if there's no traffic.

I tried to tell you that you were looking  wrong time zone.  =D

The same thing is starting here in Pahrump, of all places! It has just gotten worse since they finished the 4 lane road from here to Las Vegas. All of the Californians who were used to a 2-3 hour commute think nothing of an hour to get into Vegas for work. Housing is another reason, here you can still find a house and maybe won't get into  bidding war for it. If it isn't the Californians moving in it is just people escaping from Las Vegas and they are nearly as bad.

bob

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2021, 01:10:51 PM »
One thing to consider: I'm afraid we might be looking at another housing bubble, just a decade and a half from the last one.

There is going to be some major crazy when the Covid stuff starts to go back toward normal. I suspect that more than a few of the folks who have been "working from home" may continue to do that, or... some of their employers may realize that they really weren't all that necessary in the first place...
Blog under construction