Author Topic: 'Nother compooter question  (Read 592 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
'Nother compooter question
« on: July 08, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »
On my home computer, I use the desktop Outlook  part of Microsoft Office to handle my personal Hotmail e-mail account, and also to handle a newer outlook.com e-mail account I set up for my author activities.

I'm now working part-time in a municipal office that uses Outlook for e-mail. I'd like to be able to use the on-line Outlook app to check work e-mail on the days when I don't go in to the office. When I open the on-line Outlook, it automatically opens up to my personal Hotmail account. Is there a way to get it to switch to my work e-mail -- without disconnecting everything from my Microsoft account?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: 'Nother compooter question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »
It should be able to, but I don't use Outlook so I can't test it to find out.  I know it can handle non-MS servers (like gmail and yahoo, etc.)  Does your work email have a POP3 or IMAP server?  If so, it should work. 

Here's an article I found that might help: https://tryshift.com/blog/tips-tricks/how-to-manage-multiple-microsoft-outlook-accounts/
"It's good, though..."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 04:01:51 PM »
With the online version of Outlook, you could try clicking on your initials (or it might be a picture) in the upper right of the browser window. Then choose "Open another mailbox" and try putting in the email address of the mailbox you want to open. I don't know if it will work if the accounts are in different domains but it only takes a moment to find out.

Otherwise, I think you'll have to sign out of office.com and sign in with the other account. You might try two browser windows though.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
I'm going to assume that you are asking this question because you don't know whether your municipal office uses Office 365 or a self-hosted Exchange Online server.

Assuming they use Office 365, go to Office.com.  If it is already logged in with your account, log out and then log back in with the credentials they gave you.  If that doesn't work, they probably don't use Office 365 and you should ask their IT team for a link to their webmail service.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 04:09:57 PM »
On my home computer, I use the desktop Outlook  part of Microsoft Office to handle my personal Hotmail e-mail account, and also to handle a newer outlook.com e-mail account I set up for my author activities.

I'm now working part-time in a municipal office that uses Outlook for e-mail. I'd like to be able to use the on-line Outlook app to check work e-mail on the days when I don't go in to the office. When I open the on-line Outlook, it automatically opens up to my personal Hotmail account. Is there a way to get it to switch to my work e-mail -- without disconnecting everything from my Microsoft account?

if you email is IMAP, you should be able to set up you at  home Outlook (or any other email client) to access it.  Just another account in the list.

I think you can do it with the online, but never had to mess with that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 04:46:59 PM »
Go to your picture (or whatever they use for your picture) in the top right corner. Click on it and you should get a pop-up that lets you open another mailbox. I don't know if this adds the mailbox to your current view or logs you out of the current mailbox and into the next. I've never messed with it to that extent.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 07:54:11 PM »
No joy.

I guess I'll have to bug the IT department. I don't want to add the work e-mail to my desktop Outlook -- I want to use the on-line Outlook fo the work e-mail.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 10:32:35 PM »
So you got the job?  How did you handle the age thing you were worried about?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 12:56:52 AM »
So you got the job?  How did you handle the age thing you were worried about?

I did get the job, and thanks for remembering. I skirted the age issue, and they never asked. "Don't ask, don't tell." I don't know how many other applicants they had, so I don't know if I was the most outstanding candidate ... or the only candidate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.