Author Topic: Brats of Saint Louis  (Read 1097 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Brats of Saint Louis
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:03:24 AM »
We've seen two or three protests by high school students here recently.  One school is in its third day of a walk-out.  Before that, students bum-rushed the State B of E as they were meeting.  That was after the sleep-over at the Mayor's office to protest a state take-over of the city's failing schools. 

I would suspend all of them and let them know they could come back next year, if they learned to sit down and shut up and let the adults take care of things.  Any teachers that egged them on would be let go immediately.  OK, the NEA wouldn't let me do that last one.  These brats need to learn that the adults are in charge of their education. 

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/4EE417B91E68A07B862572AD001395E6?OpenDocument

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/C8C3344AB4DE5407862572AC00120505?OpenDocument

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/education/story/840AB08BB0A16A69862572A60010ABF8?OpenDocument
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Brats of Saint Louis
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 05:24:47 AM »
Every stink that fights the ventilitor thinks its Don Quixote.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:55:01 AM »
If I were a teacher, my inclination would be to hold a "pop test" everytime there was a walkout and these young hoodlums truants students cut my class, which would count for 25% of the grade.

Teachers who encourage the walkout? Fired FOR CAUSE. <bleep> the union.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:25:20 AM »
Brats of Saint Louis

I like the brats of Wisconsin much better. MMMMMMMM! Cheddar brats! cheesy

Suspend the street urchins and fire the teachers! The students involved probably don't give a rat's patooty who runs the schools and are just looking for attention.
The ones who actually care about education are likely not involved, as they know the schools suck and would like to see improvement.

They should fire the entire school board and most of the teachers and start over.

They had the same kind of crap in the Detroit schools. An entrenched, corrupt bureaucracy who's only interest was money and power. Those schools received the lion's share of tax money and were the worst schools in the state.
When the Governor and the only decent mayor Detroit had had in 40 years tried to do something about, they cried like babies.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 06:38:02 AM »
If I were a teacher, my inclination would be to hold a "pop test" everytime there was a walkout and these young hoodlums truants students cut my class, which would count for 25% of the grade.

I was in HS during the 1st Gulf War.  Some of my teachers did something similar when our "hippy wannabes" protested our actions in the Gulf by sitting in the lobby singing 60s era protest songs.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:45:41 AM »
The students involved probably don't give a rat's patooty who runs the schools and are just looking for attention.
The ones who actually care about education are likely not involved, as they know the schools suck and would like to see improvement.

I'm just speculating, but I don't think it's quite like that.  I forgot to mention that the school district's accreditation is also being revoked.  I suspect the students have been led to believe, perhaps by their teachers, that the State (white hillbillies) are picking on their urban, minority school system.  Regardless of their ability for or interest in academics, they probably think they are in the mold of the great civil rights struggles of yesteryear. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 06:49:02 AM »
I was in HS during the 1st Gulf War.  Some of my teachers did something similar when our "hippy wannabes" protested our actions in the Gulf by sitting in the lobby singing 60s era protest songs.

I was taking classes at a university when we invaded Iraq.  My Berkeley-educated history prof solemnly informed us that class was cancelled that night, so we could take time to think about this disturbing event, or attend a protest vigil of which she informed us. 

I should have complained about not getting my money's worth from that missed class. 

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »
Regardless of their ability for or interest in academics, they probably think they are in the mold of the great civil rights struggles of yesteryear.
You're probably right about that.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 07:03:51 AM »
"I was in HS during the 1st Gulf War."

You puppy!

I was working for NRA at the time...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.