Author Topic: The FBI Encrypted Phone Store  (Read 1908 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The FBI Encrypted Phone Store
« on: July 09, 2021, 07:37:15 PM »
The FBI apparently set up a fake store that sold secure encrypted phones. Ostensibly to catch organized crime guys.

I know we here (including me) have in the past discussed trading our phones in for Google free secure phones. Now it appears you really have to research who you would by one of those from. They also supplied a secure messaging app with it, so even those are suspect now unless thoroughly researched.

https://gizmodo.com/the-fbis-fake-encrypted-honeypot-phones-are-showing-up-1847252989
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: The FBI Encrypted Phone Store
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 09:00:41 PM »
Big Brother is everywhere these days.  Welcome to 1984.  Public spy cameras, smart TV's, tracking cell phones, you name it, they can and will do it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 12:04:43 AM »
Sounds like there's potential to have a lot of fun with an "encrypted" phone you know - know! - is being monitored.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 12:15:15 AM »
Right now some FBI agent is looking in my phone and muttering to himself "More *expletive deleted*ing cat photos"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:45:27 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 10:32:03 AM »
Sounds like there's potential to have a lot of fun with an "encrypted" phone you know - know! - is being monitored.

Get a couple of friends and start planning the alien invasion and discussing interdimensional travelers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 01:27:03 PM »
Get a couple of friends and start planning the alien invasion and discussing interdimensional travelers.
Better to keep things down to earth and make it plausible - drop names. ("Hunter" . . . "Mr.Big" . . . "You mean Hunter's Daddy?" . . . "If you overpay for a painting, it's not a bribe" . . . "Nancy from California and Chuck from New York" . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 02:26:09 PM »
Better to keep things down to earth and make it plausible - drop names. ("Hunter" . . . "Mr.Big" . . . "You mean Hunter's Daddy?" . . . "If you overpay for a painting, it's not a bribe" . . . "Nancy from California and Chuck from New York" . . . )

It wouldn't do any good.  You would just be informing the FBI about what they need to cover up next.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »
"Open channel D."    =D   [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 06:41:32 PM »
The chair has a long mustache.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
Climb Mount Niitaka

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 07:14:53 PM »

How many lights does the chair see?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 07:39:27 PM »
John is against the wall?

Wonder how many of this forum's youngsters got "Open Channel D" or "Climb Mount Niitaka" without resorting to Google . . .

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »

Sounds to me like that would have the same consequences as joking about boombs in an aerodrome or some other things.  "Just for fun" doesn't go as far as it used to.

:tinfoil: The misspelling was deliberate.  :cool:

I seem to rek'lect when it was illegal for the U.S. government to spy on U.S. citizens so the U.S. enlisted Great Britain to do the actual spying and report back to the U.S.

Where there's a kill, there's a way.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:03:28 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 11:23:37 PM »
John is against the wall?

Wonder how many of this forum's youngsters got "Open Channel D" or "Climb Mount Niitaka" without resorting to Google . . .
I am sure I have come across that in a past movie or documentary, but it wasn't a detail that ever stood out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 11:34:56 PM »
I am sure I have come across that in a past movie or documentary, but it wasn't a detail that ever stood out.

Well, for other readers of the forum, the thing is, it's been repeated a lot on this board, especially around June 6, D-day, but it has spread to anytime coding or secrecy is involved.

It refers to the coded messages the BBC was sending to the French underground.  "John (Jean) has a long moustache" was one of the phrases and "The chair is against the wall" was another.  The movie was "The Longest Day."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Day_(film)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:53:50 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 11:39:51 PM »
I was talking about "Climb Mount Niitaka". 

The others sounded like some variation of Red Dawn quotes.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 11:43:37 PM »
I was talking about "Climb Mount Niitaka". 

Coded message sent to the Kido Butai (Japanese 1st air fleet) to proceed with the Pearl Harbor attack. And no I did not need to look that up.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 11:46:51 PM »
Coded message sent to the Kido Butai (Japanese 1st air fleet) to proceed with the Pearl Harbor attack. And no I did not need to look that up.
I already looked it up.  I didn't want to spoil everyone else's fun.   =)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2021, 11:59:49 PM »

I figure anyone who didn't know and wanted to already looked it up.

How about a little related trivia? Included with the message was the date the PH attack was to occur on, what was the date in the message?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 02:08:07 AM »
I figure anyone who didn't know and wanted to already looked it up.

How about a little related trivia? Included with the message was the date the PH attack was to occur on, what was the date in the message?

I know the answer but, like Stringfellow Hawke's pilot buddy in Airwolf, I ain't sayin'."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 08:19:46 AM »
Got all the references.  I guess that makes me an "Olde Pharte".
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 10:08:51 AM »
In the spirit of fairplay/not looking it up,  what was "Open Channel D"?

Got the rest because I'm an old movie/history channel nerd.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 10:39:39 AM »

Oh, was tht supposed to be one of those "I know something you don't know" seekrits?  Sorry.  Loose keyboards sink ships. 

D'ja get that one?  Huh?  Huh?  D'ja get it? <elbow dig> <elbow dig>

I didn't get the Channel D one, had to look it up.  I did not like that show, so didn't watch it enough to catch that one.

Sorry to spoil everyone's fun.  Now you know why I don't get invited to parties.

Terry, pooper thereof, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 10:42:24 AM »
Sorry
Edit: For spoiling the Climb Mount Niitaka bit
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:15:32 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2021, 10:58:11 AM »
Sorry

Yeah.  LIked your cat remark.  All the FBI gets lately from my phone with Son2 is conversation about the 6.5 Creedmoor rifle he is building.

He was surprised to learn what Creedmoor meant and that I actually worked at Creedmoor State Hospital in 1963, which is what it ultimately became after they closed down the shooting range due to increasing population density out there on Long Island.

Claim to fame:  It was only a bus ride for me to get to Creedmoor Hospital, where the National Matches used to be held. <pats own back>

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:12:23 AM by 230RN »