Author Topic: So, i went to microcenter today...  (Read 824 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
So, i went to microcenter today...
« on: July 08, 2021, 11:57:00 PM »
Wanted a keyboard that had a better feel for it than the junky thing I'd been using. Got one with old-fashioned mechanical keys. I don't have to worry about pissing off anyone within hearing distance, so...

It feels okay, but...

Damn, it has frickin' disco lights under the keys.

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: So, i went to microcenter today...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 12:00:15 AM »
And I think I have it toned down... what is with "gaming keyboards?" What happened to "typing keyboards?" I remember the Northgate that I had back around 1989 or so - damn thing felt great.
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 12:11:59 AM »
I work in software.  My company issued me a laptop to work on.  The keyboard is terrible.

I don't really get it either.  I used a model M on my desktop for years, great keyfeel.  The peak of text entry interfaces happened in 1990.  But people type more than ever - what gives?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 12:54:24 AM »
The keyboard I use at work is surprisingly good. Not quite up to the old IBM "clicky" keyboards, but close.

Even more surprising than the action/feel of the keyboard is that it's an H-P. I have an H-P keyboard at home that's abominable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 02:04:46 AM »
Lenovo laptops have pretty good keyboards; not just the Thinkpad high-end business models but the Ideapad I bought a month ago has a surprisingly good keyboard too.  Most desktop keyboards suck now-days.  I don't know why.  Squishy keys with no tactical feedback and a lot of misfires.

I have a desk drawer full of old IBM mechanical keyboards at work that I dumpster-dived.  They need a PS2 to USB adapter to work on modern computers, and they don't have a "Windows key", but they still work great.  When I retire they will probably all get thrown away. :(  I might check with my boss to see if I can keep one as a souvenir since they don't give retirement gifts anymore.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 07:57:10 AM »
I agree on the Lenovo keyboards. I used one for the last several years. I got a mechanical keyboard for 50% off last December as an Amazon Cyber deal. I really like the keys, but yeah, I guess they don't make mechanical keyboards anymore that don't put on a lightshow. Luckily mine, a Steelseries Apex, has a nice menu that gives you a wide range of color adjustments. I have one set that is pleasing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 08:16:56 AM »
You can find dozens of really good mech KBs without the fancy lights on Amazon or Newegg.

Here's a decent example https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N19L86V/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3KP02BF9AM7Q0&th=1
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 08:22:28 AM »
Or....bear with me here.....you could turn the lights off.

I was using a really nice Razer keyboard last year. Sure it had rgb leds, but you just....turn them off if you don't like them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 08:24:12 AM »
I like typing on a lit keyboard.

While lit.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 08:26:17 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 08:30:27 AM »
I like typing on a lit keyboard.

While lit.

To clarify my comment, I also like typing on a lit keyboard. I don't like one that will give me seizures, and mine sure could with some of the options, but there are a ton of color and intensity choices that let me create a "typing environment" that is much nicer than a plain keyboard. And yeah, most lit keyboards except maybe the cheapest Chinese junk should have an "off" setting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 08:39:55 AM »
I should clarify that I like typing on a lit keyboard while I am also lit...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
I should clarify that I like typing on a lit keyboard while I am also lit...

Explains a few posts.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 08:55:58 AM »
The keyboard I use at work is surprisingly good. Not quite up to the old IBM "clicky" keyboards, but close.

They're baaaack

https://www.pckeyboard.com/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 08:57:08 AM »
Does the lighting help you read the keys in the dark?  That could be useful sometimes.

I guess I am old, or at least kids would think I am old.  I took typing in high school.  The first half of the class I was using a completely mechanical typewriter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 11:49:57 AM »
This is the one I got. Finally figured out how to turn the lighting off... Looking at the box, I thought they were just trying to sell stuff to kids...

https://www.microcenter.com/product/632348/msi-msi-gaming-gear-backlit-rgb-led-kailh-blue-switches-anti-ghosting-104-keys-brushed-aluminum-gaming-keyboard-(vigor-gk50-elite-ll)
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 12:27:24 PM »
If I had that kind of money to spend on a keyboard - I'd spend it on ammo.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 01:52:58 PM »
This is the one I got. Finally figured out how to turn the lighting off... Looking at the box, I thought they were just trying to sell stuff to kids...

Says right there, "gaming gear", so yeah.  (Even if they're 40 in their mom's basement.  )

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2021, 01:54:06 PM »
If I had that kind of money to spend on a keyboard - I'd spend it on ammo.

Human interface gear, if it's good (and the free stuff is suboptimal), I'd say is worth spending money on.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 02:05:55 PM »
I have a Logitech G910 in front of me right now.  Mechanical keys, very loud, black keyboard with customizable LED internal backlighting.  I love it.  My family can tell when I'm typing light mad even with my office door closed, but it's peak key entry excellence.  I've tuned the light pattern to just be a subtle yellow-gold static glow.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »
Mine has some sort of ikea directions with it. I shall eventually figure things out , but I'm seeing either rabid squirrel on acid and meth colors, or nothing at this point.
Blog under construction