Author Topic: Flyover Country is Full Up  (Read 428 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Flyover Country is Full Up
« on: July 31, 2021, 07:28:07 PM »
Or at least rural states are going to be putting out the "no vacancy" signs. On migration to rural areas due to the covid:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/trash-fires-and-soaring-home-prices-idaho-copes-with-city-dwellers-fleeing-covid/ar-AAMMkYj

A quote:

St. Germain at the Clearwater economic office says it is making an effort to respond to what newcomers want. She said it's busy creating loops for people driving ATVs that connect to the towns, trying to improve internet connectivity, put in coffee shops and provide more diverse food and tennis courts. “We are trying to be responsive to what people are asking for, but the limitation is always: Can you get land access?”

Bradbury worries about the demands of the new population. As more people come who believe that the city and state should provide those services, more people will vote for higher taxes.

“It’s a clash of cultures, I guess I would say,” she said. “You don’t even need to think of it in a political sense. It’s more of an urban-and-rural disconnect. What some of these people are fleeing, they are actually then re-creating when they get here.”
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Flyover Country is Full Up
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 08:01:07 PM »
I'm no city planner but I think combining food and tennis courts is a really bad idea regardless of how diverse they are.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 09:19:16 PM »
.... but the limitation is always: Can you get land access?”

Land access is part of it, but more important IMO is the other requirement - where do you get the money?

Increasing taxes is usually way .gov can get the money to implement such things.  Besides borrowing or printing it of course.

If the immigrants were willing to donate the cash required they might get a more hospitable reception.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 10:17:59 PM »

If the immigrants were willing to donate the cash required they might get a more hospitable reception.

I grew up in what was a rural, farming community on the east coast. It's now a bedroom suburb. The influx of doctors, lawyers and professors ruined it. They moved here because of the rural charm, then immediately started demanding softball fields, little league teams, tennis courts, youth soccer programs -- all the usual stuff. Then they couldn't understand why the taxes went up.

The same thing happens everywhere the urban "elite" escape to. They ruined my town back in the 1970s. It's now 50 years later, and they still haven't figured it out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 10:46:01 PM »
They ruined the area I grew up in too.  Small bedroom community out in the county - not a town or a city, just a bunch of houses surrounded by open fields & dirt roads.  Hell, even the hiway was only a couple lanes wide, one lane each direction.

Took a while, a few decades, but "they" started moving in.  Things changed.  More houses, more roads, more "entertainment".  Higher taxes, congested roads, more rules/regulations, higher crime. 

My family, and most of the rest of the community, did what we could to fight it.  Voted down becoming a city a few times, until we were out-numbered and out-voted.

A few years before all my family (except 1 brother) moved, the city authorized "low income housing" being built.  Mainly to get a large supermarket to move to the area - had to have a minimum population before they'd come in.  "Low income housing"?  Right.  The houses started at $450k.  The 900sqft 3&1 I paid $70k for sold at $10k over asking - $390k.

My brother says the drive he used to make in <10 min. now takes a minimum of 1/2 hour.

If "they" wanted to be part of the community, they'd really have to do more than just donate the money for their "luxuries".  They'd have to change their attitudes.  Which isn't likely to happen.

Keep 'em out.  Or change their attitudes for them.  Whatever works.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 11:02:00 PM »
op cit:

" 'It’s a clash of cultures, I guess I would say,' she said. 'You don’t even need to think of it in a political sense. It’s more of an urban-and-rural disconnect. What some of these people are fleeing, they are actually then re-creating when they get here.' ”

Holy Mackerel, lady... you're just realizing that now:facepalm:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.