Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Preserving Peppers

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ben:

--- Quote from: zxcvbob on August 05, 2021, 10:36:00 PM ---In my experience, they step up production in the fall here in the north.  I think it has something to do with the day length.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. This is my first year with peppers, so no experience.

Ron:
In the past I've had real good success freezing jalapenos.

I used to put them in everything and one big plant would get me through the winter usually.

Once, I pickled them and was pretty happy with the results but truth be told in Chicagoland our giardiniera options at the grocery store are overwhelming. Every hotdog/beef stand in the region markets their own.

K Frame:
Why not get yourself a dehydrator and dry some of them, as well?

Ben:

--- Quote from: K Frame on August 09, 2021, 07:17:10 AM ---Why not get yourself a dehydrator and dry some of them, as well?

--- End quote ---

I might look at playing with a dehydrator in the Winter, when I have lots more free time. For right now, I'm looking at pickling and I just started a thread in the survival subforum because I spur of the moment decided to try canning as well.

If  I can somehow get a year with no emergencies, I'll be planting a much larger garden next year, and would like to look at some combination of freezing, canning, and dehydrating.

T.O.M.:
What's the best way to dehydrate peppers?  Last year, I cut the peppers (jalepenos and habeneros) into rings and dried them on a food dehydrator.  Stored in ziplocs.  The habeneros were moldy within two weeks.  The jalepenos were fine.  This season, I also have tobacco peppers, which are tasty, and produced like crazy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version