Author Topic: Afghanistan  (Read 37914 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Afghanistan
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2021, 04:47:46 AM »
That said most of the current military Chinooks are conversions/rebuilds from earlier models so there probably are quite a few Vietnam era Chinooks flying around.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2021, 08:04:51 AM »
Quote from: kgbsquirrel on August 15, 2021, 19:28:41
A reminder for the class that if the Departments of State and Defense had obeyed Trump's direct orders to them (to withdraw from Afghanistan) this would not have happened.  The people who disobeyed direct orders to pull out, lied to the commander in chief about doing so, and then bragged about it in the media, are responsible for this.  Still waiting for them to be punished for the aforementioned, but maybe now illegitimate administration will throw those fellas under the bus to save themselves?  One can dream.

Really good point that I had completely forgotten about. I'll take part of the blame for that, but I think the MSM has a good portion of the blame for  "curating" and/or disappearing that stuff as it happened.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2021, 08:17:37 AM »
The Taliban is confiscating (or "collecting", according to Reuters) civilian weapons as they are "no longer needed for personal protection".

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/08/16/seems-familiar-taliban-confiscating-civilians-firearms-because-theyre-no-longer-needed-for-personal-protection/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2021, 12:34:45 PM »
Finger-pointing kicks into overdrive:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/politics/biden-afghanistan-blame-shifting/index.html

Replied to the wrong post. This makes me so angry- these incompetents are STILL showing their colors. In a crisis, they are scrambling to assign blame, not try to fix/mitigate their previous errors.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:29:27 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2021, 12:40:07 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/politics/biden-afghanistan-blame-shifting/index.html
Skimming the article, it sounds like everyone involved planned and talked and planned and talked, and no one ever made a decision. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2021, 01:33:24 PM »
Got the Monty Python theme struck in my head.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2021, 01:41:53 PM »
Got the Monty Python theme struck in my head.
Well, I was wondering if someone was acting as the power behind the throne which was why Biden was hiding at Camp David.  However, if someone was actually in control, I think we would have seen something different.  This does sort of look like the executive just isn't there much of the time and everyone is on hold waiting for someone to tell them what to do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2021, 01:47:30 PM »

It occurs to me that the State Dept has been screwed up ever since Hillary was in charge. I think she filled it with partisan shitheads. First Benghazi, then the deep state stuff during Trump (he should have fired 50% of the staff there) which already affected an Afghanistan withdrawal, among many other things, and now their further incompetence seems to be on display. DoD is not perfect, but I'll mostly take their side on this, I think.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2021, 02:02:38 PM »
Biden is abandoning between 5 to 10 thousand Americans in Afghanistan, no plans to help them get to the airport

We should be screaming from the rooftops that the blood of these Americans is on the hands of Biden voters, just like they like to blame us for shootings and Trump.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2021, 02:12:55 PM »
Biden is abandoning between 5 to 10 thousand Americans in Afghanistan, no plans to help them get to the airport

We should be screaming from the rooftops that the blood of these Americans is on the hands of Biden voters, just like they like to blame us for shootings and Trump.
I hadn't heard anything about that number of people.  Who is still there?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »
If Trump was still president and only one person was left the Dems and MSM would be calling for criminal charges
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »

My guess would be mostly contractors
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2021, 02:21:24 PM »

I really doubt they are US citizens.  They may be US allies from A-stan, which is certainly bad.  This pull-out should have covered US allies prior to troop evacuation.

Abandoning a small town's population of US citizen foreign contractors is too grotesque even for Biden/Harris.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2021, 02:24:32 PM »
I really doubt they are US citizens.  They may be US allies from A-stan, which is certainly bad.  This pull-out should have covered US allies prior to troop evacuation.

Abandoning a small town's population of US citizen foreign contractors is too grotesque even for Biden/Harris.

I don't think anything is too grotesque for Harris/Biden.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »
It appears a person clinging to the outside of the C-17 became caught in the landing gear mechanism. I don't know anything about the C-17, but the story suggests that the photo shows the person's body, with the upper torso trapped. Pilots declared an emergency and landed the plane, and human remains were found. Grisly way to die.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/08/17/lord-forgive-us-heartbreaking-footage-appears-to-show-afghani-who-clung-to-departing-c-17-trapped-in-the-landing-gear-photo/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2021, 02:57:51 PM »
Even the uber-liberal BBC is fact checking Biden on this one:

https://www.bbc.com/news/58243158
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2021, 02:58:11 PM »
 :facepalm:

It is wild watching white Americans freak out about "Muslim terrorists" while they buy hot dogs and ice cream for white terrorists here (themselves).

— saira rao (@sairasameerarao) August 16, 2021
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/08/17/saira-rao-finds-it-remarkable-that-white-americans-freak-out-about-muslim-terrorists-while-they-buy-hotdogs-and-ice-cream-for-white-terrorists-like-themselves/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
yep

The Taliban spokesman got a question about freedom of speech and he said the question should be asked to US companies like Facebook who claim to promote it while still censoring pic.twitter.com/woXd5RRCWK

— Liam McCollum (@MLiamMcCollum) August 17, 2021
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/08/17/let-them-fight-when-pressed-on-freedom-of-speech-taliban-spokesman-seriously-dunks-on-facebook-watch/
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
A reminder for the class that if the Departments of State and Defense had obeyed Trump's direct orders to them (to withdraw from Afghanistan) this would not have happened.  The people who disobeyed direct orders to pull out, lied to the commander in chief about doing so, and then bragged about it in the media, are responsible for this.  Still waiting for them to be punished for the aforementioned, but maybe now illegitimate administration will throw those fellas under the bus to save themselves?  One can dream.
You and Jennifer Rubin are kinda on the same page here.  :rofl:
President Biden deserves ample criticism for a clumsily executed, poorly planned evacuation in Afghanistan. (We will see whether he can atone for it in the follow-up rescue operation.) But he should also receive credit for calling out the military’s dissembling about our progress that paralyzed three previous presidents. If people want to know what expertise he brought to the job, look to his ability and willingness to reject two decades of dishonest Pentagon spin.
Biden, at least, deserves credit for his perception and stark candor. If other presidents grasped what was really going on, they did not have the wherewithal to blow the whistle on a war conducted under a blizzard of false assessments. When the rescue operation is behind us, politicians and military leaders should have to testify as to what they knew, when they knew it and why they were not more candid. That inquest should include past presidents, secretaries of defense, military leaders, Pentagon press personnel, national security advisers and more. We deserve to know who was deliberately misleading and who was merely obtuse.

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
It occurs to me that the State Dept has been screwed up ever since Hillary was in charge. I think she filled it with partisan shitheads. First Benghazi, then the deep state stuff during Trump (he should have fired 50% of the staff there) which already affected an Afghanistan withdrawal, among many other things, and now their further incompetence seems to be on display. DoD is not perfect, but I'll mostly take their side on this, I think.

State has been corrupt/incompetent for a long time.  They were the morons that fired the entire Iraqi army right after the surrender in 2003 thus creating 700,000 insurgents for hire overnight.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »

White House claims 11,000 Americans. Or more precisely, who "self-identify as American citizens" as per Psaki.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/5000-to-10000-americans-remain-in-taliban-held-afghanistan-pentagon_3952778.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2021, 03:57:41 PM »
This is kind of a pisser if accurate. One of the leaders of this Taliban offensive was released from Gitmo by Obama in the prisoner exchange for Bergdahl.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/reported-mastermind-taliban-takeover-released-guantanamo-obama-bergdahl

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design