Author Topic: Who Needs Reading, Writing, Arithmetic in Oregon?  (Read 472 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Who Needs Reading, Writing, Arithmetic in Oregon?
« on: August 12, 2021, 03:49:43 PM »
Oregon Gov Kate Brown scraps need for high school students to prove proficiency in math, reading and writing to get diploma in bid to bolster minority students who 'don't test well'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9879959/Oregon-scraps-requirement-high-school-students-prove-proficiency-math-reading-writing.html

Gov. Kate Brown signed a bill late last month suspending the state's 'essential skills' requirement for graduation for the next three years while its Department of Education seeks alternative graduation requirements.

Why not just issue a high school diploma along with the birth certificate?  Rename grade school to State Daycare and get rid of testing all together. 

Better yet, get rid of truancy laws and allow some to skip high school and work.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Who Needs Reading, Writing, Arithmetic in Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 04:01:41 PM »
Nearly there in Clark County, NV

The CCSD Board of Trustees voted on several new grading policies during its meeting Thursday night. Under those policies, student's grades wouldn't be impacted by late or missing assignments, attendance or participation. Students also couldn't technically receive a grade lower than a 50%.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/education/clark-county-school-district-trustees-consider-new-grading-system/article_c5ec2800-cab3-11eb-b241-83da22571323.html

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 04:42:16 PM »
Timmy can't read or write but he can ratter off left wing talking points like it's nobody's business.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 11:08:04 AM »
Why do leftist think children of color are too stupid to learn to read, write and do math competently? 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 11:34:18 AM »
Why do leftist think children of color are too stupid to learn to read, write and do math competently?

What gets me is why has the black community accepted that mindset for generations?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
What gets me is why has the black community accepted that mindset for generations?

Based on first-hand observations in the projects when I worked for a public housing agency, the answer is that being smart is work, and working is work. I worked there 40 years ago and, even then, we were seeing the third generation of people who had no ambition beyond buying a new television (paid for with welfare dollars) so they could watch the soaps (for the women) and the sports (for the males). I'm sure many of those same apartments continue to be occupied by successive generations of the same family.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design