Author Topic: New retirement survey just came out  (Read 1607 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: New retirement survey just came out
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2021, 01:57:06 PM »
An old financial guy that used to be on the radio said if you couldn't pay a car off in 2 to 3 years, you shouldn't buy it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2021, 01:58:30 PM »
I'm doing great on cars, then.

My current Subaru cost me less than 14% of my yearly salary...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2021, 01:59:27 PM »
An old financial guy that used to be on the radio said if you couldn't pay a car off in 2 to 3 years, you shouldn't buy it. 

I'm not so sure that's as realistic as it used to be given what cars cost now. They've escalated in price far faster than salaries.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »

I prefer cars I can pay cash for.  Which means brand new is out for a long time.  ‘Course I also like Dave Ramsey’s advice not to buy new without at least $1mil net worth.  His reasoning is that below that you have too much of your net worth tied up in a depreciating asset. Wouldn’t surprise me if he says $2mil now given how expensive new cars have become.
Formerly sumpnz

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »
We still have a mortgage but we have a lot of equity. Under 90k on a property valued just over $500k.
We paid cash for 1 vehicle and 0% interest on the other which was purchased new in 2015 and paid off in 2018.
My wife grew up poor and fears poverty more than just about anything else. I’m no longer sure there is any kind of bump that would get her comfortable with full retirement.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2021, 04:09:17 PM »
Kingcreek - honestly, she needs to talk to a therapist about that.  It’s not healthy, on many levels, to demand you keep working over fears of poverty when you’re nearly worth $2mil. 
Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2021, 10:35:17 PM »
I prefer cars I can pay cash for.  Which means brand new is out for a long time.  ‘Course I also like Dave Ramsey’s advice not to buy new without at least $1mil net worth.  His reasoning is that below that you have too much of your net worth tied up in a depreciating asset. Wouldn’t surprise me if he says $2mil now given how expensive new cars have become.
I've always bought cars new.

Let's see . . . '73 Grand Am, '84 Bronco, '93 Explorer, '06 Pathfinder. That's four (4) vehicles over a 48 year time span. (Admittedly, Grandma helped me with the first one.) And in 2006 I bought my mother an Avalon to replace her '85 Crown Vic.

I don't think I've overdone the new vehicle thing.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2021, 11:00:21 PM »
I used to have a nice amount set back to retire. When I got the diagnosis from the doctor, I pulled it all out and payed everything off.

With the crap insurance after the AHA I'll never have everything paid off.

My girls retirement is this 160 acres. Sell it off. Buy something smaller and they should be set.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2021, 11:39:00 PM »
A few years ago my wife said if we could put aside 1 million we could retire. When we hit a mil she said now it’s 1.5 because of cost of living etc. when we got to net worth of 1.5 she said it’s not enough unless we downsize our lifestyle our habits and our home.
I think she just wants me to work until I die or I’m a broken down old man so she can park me somewhere and live it up.
She is a very healthy 67 with strong Norwegian genetics and could very well have many active years ahead. I am 63 and have lived beyond the age of my father and 2 grandparents. While I am pretty healthy, I don’t see as many years ahead for me as I do her.
I don’t want her to be a poor widow someday but I also don’t want to miss out on my own good retirement years. When I reach full retirement age for SS benefits I’m definitely done. I am willing to work part time for awhile to avoid drawing from retirement funds.

That's possible, esp. with your family history.  And that is why I'm concerned.
My mother is still alive (and I'm supposed to be her executor!) and pushing 93.  Her father was 100 y./7 +m. when he passed.  He outlived both of his wives, both of whom smoked.  The first was my maternal grandmother and, despite the cancer that killed her, she was 75.
On my father's side, his dad was gassed in WW1 and died before I was born (age unknown).  His wife was 89 when she passed, due to poor care in a very new nursing home.  She got tangled in her bed linen and self-strangled because they failed to do required bed checks.  My father died shortly before his 80th birthday due to complications of Parkinson's.
I am 50 lbs. overweight and have been on BP meds for 20 years.  Then there are the three motorcycle accidents that any one of which should have killed me.
Will I outlive my mother?  "Quien sabe?"
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2021, 06:55:44 AM »
"My wife grew up poor and fears poverty more than just about anything else. I’m no longer sure there is any kind of bump that would get her comfortable with full retirement."

I understand where she's coming from.

I have the same mental struggles with money and retirement.

I didn't grow up poor, but damned close to it at times. Dad was a fantastic engineer but not at all good with money. If there was a money decision to be made, chances are pretty good he'd make the wrong one. Plus it didn't help that it was the 1970s when the interstate highway system was pretty much finished and his job was going away, so he struck out on his own, in a crappy economy. He struggled along for a number of years until he folded up shop and went back to work for another company. That didn't end well, but he finally really locked it down in the early 1990s when the town where he grew up needed a new city engineer and hired him. Worked out great stability wise for Mom and Dad, but ultimately he was still making the same bad financial choices he had always made.

There were times when we were buying 5 gallons of kerosene at a time to put into the boiler because we couldn't afford a tank of heating oil.

Mom's inheritance from her parents largely put me through college, and I always tried very hard to make sure Mom and Dad had enough money when I could spare. I might have bitched about shelling out money to buy Mom's heating oil and work on her house for her, but that's all it was, it was bitching. There was no way I wasn't going to do that. I did everything I could to keep her in that house for as long as she lived, even if at the end she didn't really remember that it was her house. At least it was familiar to her, because my Dad had grown up there and they were friends from the time they were about 10 until he died in 2007.

The whole mess when Mom died was damned frightening with what she did with her will and everything, but I came through that, and now I get to concentrate 100% on my retirement.

Seeing how my parents struggled with financial management when I was a kid made me make some very hard choices about what I wanted and how I wanted to get it. I forced myself to learn, and practice, solid financial management, and to a large degree its paid off. Yeah, I've gotten lucky in some things (like not having to get rid of the house when the ex and I broke up), but there are a LOT of things that I regret, too. It also helped that I went to work for Navy Federal Credit Union writing, oddly enough, a lot of financial educational materials for new service members. Stuff like how to balance your checkbook, how not to get screwed over on a loan, how to budget... a lot of which I had to learn while I was writing about it.

Anyway, the biggest thing advice I can give you is mind the money, but don't make your later years filled with regret for what you never did because you, or someone else, was afraid of it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:46:51 AM by K Frame »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 08:10:33 AM »

Times, and interest rates, change.

Right now, debt is very cheap.  I'd rather take a loan for a car instead of pay cash for it.  I'll take the cash and put it in some sort of investment and probably earn more in the investment than I will pay in interest.  My current car loan is 1.9%.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 09:38:18 AM »
^^^We just have the one car that we are still paying on, and my wife got a promotional interest rate of 0% from Hyundai.  I wrote a check when I bought the Tacoma, since Toyota rarely does incentives on that model.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2021, 10:13:54 AM »
I totally see 0%-low percent auto loans as a wise move as long as you put that money to use elsewhere. I just have never been able to bring myself to do it.

As with the rest of my financial stuff, I tend to lean overly-conservative here, and I just want to own the car outright from the gitgo. While realizing I lose potential profits, I just like the piece of mind of not owing anyone (other than the crappy gov) anything. As I've mentioned here before, I've never felt so good as back when I paid off the last mortgage and was 100% debt free. Again, this is just me, and YMMV.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2021, 11:13:17 AM »
A few years ago my wife said if we could put aside 1 million we could retire. When we hit a mil she said now it’s 1.5 because of cost of living etc. when we got to net worth of 1.5 she said it’s not enough unless we downsize our lifestyle our habits and our home.
I think she just wants me to work until I die or I’m a broken down old man so she can park me somewhere and live it up.
She is a very healthy 67 with strong Norwegian genetics and could very well have many active years ahead. I am 63 and have lived beyond the age of my father and 2 grandparents. While I am pretty healthy, I don’t see as many years ahead for me as I do her.
I don’t want her to be a poor widow someday but I also don’t want to miss out on my own good retirement years. When I reach full retirement age for SS benefits I’m definitely done. I am willing to work part time for awhile to avoid drawing from retirement funds.
I ran the numbers on this a few years ago- I don't remember the exact parameters, but for me, it was far better to get the extra years of income, by collecting early, vs waiting for a higher payment- only if I was going to live well past normal expiration date was it better to wait. I think the $$ were even at 80 years old, something like that.
 It may be triply true now as SS is very unlikely to keep up with inflation.
 (I still do not collect, because it would jam my taxes into a place I would rather not go.)