Author Topic: The problem of ghosting in job interviews  (Read 1270 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The problem of ghosting in job interviews
« on: August 16, 2021, 03:47:46 PM »
We just had a Teams webinar about the increasing problem our system is having with ghosting job interviews.  An applicant goes through the trouble of doing an online application, we reach out to them to schedule an initial screening interview, a date and time is arranged and then nothing.  We try to contact the applicant to see if they were eaten by wolves or something and our calls/emails are not returned. Or sometimes they make it through the screening and then ghost the final job interview.

The HR people think there are two factors causing this: a. people are applying with no intention of following through, just to satisfy the unemployment requirements that you be actively looking for a job; and b. younger people are used to ghosting in their personal/dating relationships and that is carrying over to employment as well.  They say another possible factor is they found another job and did not bother to withdraw applications from other places.

In the last month, I have been on three panel interviews in which several highly-paid people are on Teams waiting to interview the applicant, and no one shows or contacts us.  Very annoying since I could have been doing my work instead.

We are thinking of implementing a system whereby if the applicant does not confirm they are going to be on the interview, it will automatically be cancelled.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: The problem of ghosting in job interviews
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »

We are thinking of implementing a system whereby if the applicant does not confirm they are going to be on the interview, it will automatically be cancelled.

Kinda surprised you aren't doing that already. It's a good idea. 2-3 days out from the interview, call them with a message that you are going to email them a confirmation link (or request for response). It not only reinforces the meeting date/time, it also gives redundancy and third-party documentable efforts re contact attempts.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »
Could be any of the above. Or technical issues. Heck maybe they used a throwaway email to apply and didn't even check it. I've also had spam filters, even Gmail, randomly do dumb things.

Or you could be dealing with scammers. The last job I got, I got caught up with Man In The Middle scammers who applied to the company on my behalf (with a photoshopped version of my resume) then tried to represent themselves to me as being from the company, while pretending to be talent agency to the company. Never assume the people you are talking to are the actual candidate.

Is it people literally confirming they will arrive at the interview and then flaking, or is it just not being able to reach people?

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »
Kinda surprised you aren't doing that already. It's a good idea. 2-3 days out from the interview, call them with a message that you are going to email them a confirmation link (or request for response). It not only reinforces the meeting date/time, it also gives redundancy and third-party documentable efforts re contact attempts.

Brad

Our automated application system emails and texts them three days before the interview with a reminder and the contact information.  We are now thinking of modifying that message with 'press Y to confirm the interview or press C to cancel. If no response is received the interview will be automatically cancelled'.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 05:04:00 PM »
Our automated application system emails and texts them three days before the interview with a reminder and the contact information.  We are now thinking of modifying that message with 'press Y to confirm the interview or press C to cancel. If no response is received the interview will be automatically cancelled'.

Good idea, and have it on both systems. Gives them the option of confirming with either system. Gives you contact redundancy so they can't hit you with "You didn't tell me it was that day!".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 05:32:20 PM »
The HR people think there are two factors causing this: a. people are applying with no intention of following through, just to satisfy the unemployment requirements that you be actively looking for a job; and b. younger people are used to ghosting in their personal/dating relationships and that is carrying over to employment as well.

My vote goes to "a."

To be fair, it cuts both ways. Having been in the job market for several months (and, in a way, I still am -- I recently started a part-time job that I like, but I'd jump ship for the right full-time job), I can attest that employers are equally bad. I've had multiple applications in which I was told I was a finalist -- and then heard nothing. I thanked them for the interview opportunity -- no response. Later heard through the grapevine that they hired someone, but never a "Thanks for your interest, but ..." contact back from the employer.

Basically, both sides need to learn some old-fashioned courtesy.

In the last month, I have been on three panel interviews in which several highly-paid people are on Teams waiting to interview the applicant, and no one shows or contacts us.  Very annoying since I could have been doing my work instead.

That should already be S.O.P.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
It’s become common enough to almost be the norm.
I have heard of young people accepting 2 or 3 jobs and not deciding until start day which one they might or might not show up for. Also, if the don’t “feel like” working that day, they figure they will just start the process again.
I hear stories of people working 4 hours at a new job, going to lunch and not coming back. Or not showing up for day 2 etc.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 06:22:01 PM »
"a. people are applying with no intention of following through, just to satisfy the unemployment requirements that you be actively looking for a job;"

Bingo, P=0.92

Shotgunning random resumes all count as "job contacts."

Leaning over the fence and chatting with Farmer Joe about hiring you as his tractor-washing guy is also a job contact. But it's provable if you send him a resume, even if he wasn't looking for a tractor-washing guy.

"Hey, Dr. MillCreek, you need an all-around 'guy Friday' of moderate intelligence and has a tendency to spout extreme right-wng bullbleep at the sightest provocation?  I'm your man."

There, see? An actual, legally-satisfying job contact and something I'm qualified for, to boot.

Letter of the law, doncha know.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:41:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 06:35:31 PM »
Only remotely related to the topic, but I have a resume up on a couple sites, and occasionally get an email from it.

Got one today from Coca-Cola. Wasn't really interested in the position they had, but didn't mention that. Told them I wasn't interested in working for a company that treated their employees the way they do, and included a link to their "be less white" BS.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »
Ouch to them, smiles to you.

"Remotely related...." Giggle-giggle... this is APS, Bedlamite.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 07:39:15 PM »
My vote goes to "a."

To be fair, it cuts both ways. Having been in the job market for several months (and, in a way, I still am -- I recently started a part-time job that I like, but I'd jump ship for the right full-time job), I can attest that employers are equally bad. I've had multiple applications in which I was told I was a finalist -- and then heard nothing. I thanked them for the interview opportunity -- no response. Later heard through the grapevine that they hired someone, but never a "Thanks for your interest, but ..." contact back from the employer.

That was my experience, the last time I was looking.  (20 years ago)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 07:47:53 PM »
How the worm has turned, for employers love to ghost candidates.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »
I can remember back in the '80's people coming in to the shop asking for a sign off for unemployment. If your state still has bonus money, why work?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
Well, drat.  Here it is 7:20 PM and MillCreek still hasn't responded to my job contact of 4:15. (Reply #7)

Huh, a ghost employer.  I shoulda knowed it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:47:43 PM by 230RN »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 09:30:30 PM »
It's been happening to us for the past year. There was always some of it and it was steadily getting worse, but this past year it's been the way it is.
And for a long time it wasn't the requirements for getting unemployment because they suspended that in Virginia because of Covid.
We've had a few applying through FB repeatedly and everytime we repost the ad, they will do it again, but do not respond to phone calls or emails.
In the rare occasion we reach scheduling an interview, they don't show. Out of maybe 100 applicants, we've scheduled probably 10-15 interviews and had like maybe 5 show up in the past year. And so far, the ones who showed up and were given jobs are pretty hit and miss on if they'll show up for work. Most don't last past their test day.

We've now got one of these who Katie refused to put on payroll. She's such a trainwreck that Katie just tells her the days that there will be work and if she shows up, she can get paid for what she does.
We wouldn't even have this idiot in the building but we are that desperate for labor.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 10:36:23 PM »
Welcome to my world.

I need two full time guys.  Basic, no skill required labor.  I spend an average of 8 hours a week after close going through profiles on Indeed and calling potential hires.  When I've scheduled 3 guys per day for tryouts, I quit.   15 potential hires per week, of an average 4:1 called to scheduled ratio.  Of 15 in 5 days, MAYBE a 20% show up rate.  They'll go through a phone interview,  make all the right noises then...Nothing.

The job is to put empty product on a line or stack full cases on a pallet.  Indoors.  No skill required.*  Starts at $15/hour $16 after 90 days, and  a $500 bonus after a month with no call offs.

*This close to taking the local MRDD board up on hiring a bunch of Downies.  At least they're generally pleasant.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 10:56:16 PM »
^^^We have an agreement with a local social services agency that places people with Down's for employment.  We have several of them that work in Nutrition Services, Courier services, and Groundskeeping.  As a general rule, you could not hope to find more dedicated, happy and hard working employees.  They are usually thrilled to be working and part of a social group at work. If you have repetitive jobs that don't require a lot of problem solving, someone with Down's could be perfect.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 11:04:51 PM »
^^^We have an agreement with a local social services agency that places people with Down's for employment.  We have several of them that work in Nutrition Services, Courier services, and Groundskeeping.  As a general rule, you could not hope to find more dedicated, happy and hard working employees.  They are usually thrilled to be working and part of a social group at work. If you have repetitive jobs that don't require a lot of problem solving, someone with Down's could be perfect.

Were it not for my general loathing of .gov programs in general,  I'd consider it.  I'd hire them outright, if it meant not touching the .gov tar baby, but the conditions of that program are straight up onerous.

As you said,  never met an unpleasant downie.  They're like the human equivalent of a PLC controller.  Point them at an uncomplicated task with clear parameters and boom, it gets done.  They're happy, and the job is completed.  Win win.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 11:10:40 PM »
Well, drat.  Here it is 7:20 PM and MillCreek still hasn't responded to my job contact of 4:15. (Reply #7)

Huh, a ghost employer.  I shoulda knowed it.

Maybe he didn't respond because you "{didn't sign} this one so nobody will know who posted it."
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 11:45:03 PM »
Any of  y'all looking in St. Louis? I'm getting tired of auto parts retail... I've had two outfits offer me service writer slots - not really sure if I want to go in that direction tho.

High functioning asperger/autistic genius, very diverse resume... Best job I had was doing communications work (tech writing/editing/graphics) in a pharma R&D lab, from bench level to C-level...

Tired of low-level managers who are only looking at next week.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 05:24:39 AM »
Welcome to my world.

I need two full time guys.  Basic, no skill required labor.  I spend an average of 8 hours a week after close going through profiles on Indeed and calling potential hires.  When I've scheduled 3 guys per day for tryouts, I quit.   15 potential hires per week, of an average 4:1 called to scheduled ratio.  Of 15 in 5 days, MAYBE a 20% show up rate.  They'll go through a phone interview,  make all the right noises then...Nothing.

The job is to put empty product on a line or stack full cases on a pallet.  Indoors.  No skill required.*  Starts at $15/hour $16 after 90 days, and  a $500 bonus after a month with no call offs.

*This close to taking the local MRDD board up on hiring a bunch of Downies.  At least they're generally pleasant.

Well you know that’s actual work and the .gov will pay the same to sit on the ass at home so…

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 06:54:50 AM »
Maybe he didn't respond because you "{didn't sign} this one so nobody will know who posted it."

Oops.  It was close to my nap time.

Let that be my worst mistake of the month.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2021, 10:26:17 AM »
I had a shift supervisor at a busy factory tell me that if the front office sends him 12 new hires on Monday, he is absolutely thrilled if 2 of them are still working end of the shift on friday.

I don’t know what is wrong with young people these days. (Said in my best grandpa voice)

My first job was when my folks put me on a Pullman train 500 miles to Nebraska (age 13!) to work a custom hay operation and cattle and irrigation for 2 months working for my dads cousin. Got to work with 2nd cousins my age and older. Hot hard dirty work but I loved it and I got paid. Came home and bought a new Honda dirt bike
I had year round work ever since. Worked through college all except for my fist semester.
Now I’m 63 and semi retired and thinking about retiring from my professional career and getting a part time gig driving a school bus or something. I can think of about 6 different part time employment opportunities where if I called and said I wanted a job I could be working tomorrow.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2021, 10:45:25 AM »
I've seen some amazing stuff (definitely not good amazing, either) with new hires, generally young people, over the past 10 years or so.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »
I had a shift supervisor at a busy factory tell me that if the front office sends him 12 new hires on Monday, he is absolutely thrilled if 2 of them are still working end of the shift on friday.

I don’t know what is wrong with young people these days. (Said in my best grandpa voice)

My first job was when my folks put me on a Pullman train 500 miles to Nebraska (age 13!) to work a custom hay operation and cattle and irrigation for 2 months working for my dads cousin. Got to work with 2nd cousins my age and older. Hot hard dirty work but I loved it and I got paid. Came home and bought a new Honda dirt bike
I had year round work ever since. Worked through college all except for my fist semester.
Now I’m 63 and semi retired and thinking about retiring from my professional career and getting a part time gig driving a school bus or something. I can think of about 6 different part time employment opportunities where if I called and said I wanted a job I could be working tomorrow.
My old boss retired last year.  He was talking about getting a job running the mowing tractors for the county mowing the side of the road.  I don't think he has done it yet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge