Author Topic: Crazy Rental Car Story  (Read 848 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Crazy Rental Car Story
« on: August 20, 2021, 07:14:48 PM »
This is whack:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/08/20/man-accuses-avis-of-stealing-the-car-they-rented-him-and-hes-got-video-and-e-zpass-evidence-to-back-it-up/

The guy sounds like he is on the up and up. The fact the Avis was going to continue to charge him for vehicle rental is just crazy. It also sounds like, as much as I hate social media, that if he hadn't taken it to Twitter, he would have been up the creek.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Crazy Rental Car Story
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 08:24:15 PM »
And I wonder if an Avis employee thought that they could double-rent the vehicle?

Blog under construction

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 09:09:43 PM »
I rented a car from Avis last week. The final bill had a random $23.74 fueling charge on it. I emailed them about it with a picture of my gas receipt and they apologized and took off the charge. No explanation of where the random charge came from. I'm sure they do that systematically and just keep the charges that people don't notice or dispute.

Also, if you drive your car less than 50 miles, Avis automatically adds a $16 fueling fee. You can Google about it. I guess the idea is that as long as you drive less than that, it costs you a flat $16. This is totally separate from all their fueling plans. Even if you fill the car up, and even if you tell the attendant, you will get the fee added. You have to go to the counter and wait in line and ask them to remove the fuel charge. How many people are eager to get on their plane and drop the car off and never realize they paid a $16 fueling charge for nothing? A lot I'm sure.

The van I rented had 52,000 miles. I've never seen a rental with that many miles on it. It had hail damage too.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
I rented a car from Avis last week. The final bill had a random $23.74 fueling charge on it. I emailed them about it with a picture of my gas receipt and they apologized and took off the charge. No explanation of where the random charge came from. I'm sure they do that systematically and just keep the charges that people don't notice or dispute.

I bet it happens a lot. Honestly, when I was on travel orders I would rarely look closely at bills. If there was a standout charge, sure, but something like $23? I'd just submit the paperwork for my travel voucher and think nothing of it. I bet a good portion of people who travel for business do the same, and I bet their accounting departments ignore it as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."