Author Topic: Just found...  (Read 2121 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just found...
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »
My Grandfather's draft classification deferment cards from World War II.

Neat.

This man never threw anything out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Just found...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »

Neat.

I finally got my discharge paperwork from the Army in my mailbox today.  Six years on one piece of paper.

Out of curiousity, anyone know WTF a "PSR" is ?  It's inbetween my NATO medal and my GWOT medal, and I have no clue what it is.  Couldn't easily identify it from my old chart of US Army medals.  The only foreign device I'm authorized to wear is the Bundeswehr Schnutzenschnur Qualification cord/badge, which is not in my records.  Maybe Army Service Ribbon with a typo?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 02:48:50 PM »
The only foreign device I'm authorized to wear is the Bundeswehr Schnutzenschnur Qualification cord/badge

Hey, I've got one of those! That's some cool sh!te isn't it? To play with some other guy's toys?
OK, reality check: bronze, silver or gold?

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »

Neat.

Sounds cool. I've never seen anything like those, would it be too much to ask if you could possibly scan them and post the images in order to share the bit of history you found? (of course, if there is too much private material on them, I understand if you don't want to post them.)
Andy

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 10:25:03 PM »
We have a copy of my great grandfather's discharge papers from World War One.  Family history is so cool.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »

I finally got my discharge paperwork from the Army in my mailbox today.  Six years on one piece of paper.

Out of curiousity, anyone know WTF a "PSR" is ?  It's inbetween my NATO medal and my GWOT medal, and I have no clue what it is.  Couldn't easily identify it from my old chart of US Army medals.  The only foreign device I'm authorized to wear is the Bundeswehr Schnutzenschnur Qualification cord/badge, which is not in my records.  Maybe Army Service Ribbon with a typo?
[/quote]

No I don't know what a PSR is.
But I'm impressed that you are a qualified Schnutze with a Schnur to prove it from the Bundeswehr !
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »
But I'm impressed that you are a qualified Schnutze with a Schnur to prove it from the Bundeswehr !

Yea, I'm impressed that I managed to qual myself.  Read on.

The only foreign device I'm authorized to wear is the Bundeswehr Schnutzenschnur Qualification cord/badge

Hey, I've got one of those! That's some cool sh!te isn't it? To play with some other guy's toys?
OK, reality check: bronze, silver or gold?

I played with toys from the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Finland, Poland, Ukraine, and Bulgarians.  Probably forgetting a couple countries. Plus a couple non-government paras. 

Bronze.  And it was the most amazing shooting since Simo Hayha.  And once you hear the story, you'll agree.

So there I was, thinking I was hot stuff. I was pretty good with the G36, my 200m grouping looked like my 16's grouping at 50m. I was a freakin natural with the P8 (Bundeswehr version of the H&K USP), I was shooting the zip ties off the targets. Ha! Showing the Germans how an American shoots!

Since I speak a bit of German, I got to small talking and bragging with the Germans. They all nod sagely. Finally, the German Sergeant Major smiles and asks how well I shoot during distracting surroundings. I naturally brush it off and joke around. He continues smiling and walks off. This should have been my warning to run for the hills.

So anyways, it's the final event. The MG3, which is basically the same thing as an MG42. It has an insanely high cyclic rate, and you only have 15 rds to qual with. You have to hit a number of different targets, all blended in with their surroundings. I get in position and wait for the instructor, guy named Karl. And wait. And wait. Then I hear a beautiful voice that is as un-Karl as possible. I glance over, and the most beautiful woman in the world (I had been deployed for maybe 7 months at that point, bear with me) with the most wonderful accent starts explaining how to use the same basic machinegun that killed more than a few of my countrymen back during WWII.

Thankfully, the freakin MG3 is easy to operate, because I didn't catch a single bit of information she said. Ok, zen moment... Zen moment. Ignore the very nice hands guiding the loading of the machine gun. Ignore the very nice perfume... ZEN, DAMNIT, ZEN!

After taking a small break, I aim carefully, and let loose a short burst. Then something whacks me in the back of the kevlar, pushing my face into the shooting mat. Something moves onto my back, and wiggles around doing something to the MG3. Gods know what. After an eternity, she climbs off, taps my k-pot, smiles, and says "Ok to shoot!"

No, Fraulein, I ain't.

DIRTY SNEAKY GERMANS! EVIL, EVIL GERMANS! My grandfather warned me about 'em, but NOOO, they have to take their revenge out on me! Geesh, you'd have thought we bombed their country into the Stone Age or something.

Zen concentration? Yea, that was out the window.

After a long moment, I ready the M3 and somehow managed to eek out a passing score. I'm surprised I hit a single target. After I fire the last round, I walked off the range and chained smoked half a pack.

Still have the award, paperwork, score booklet and sarcastic note written in German in my book of citations. As a reminder to never, never underestimate the sneakiness of one's former enemies.

Award
Me with an Spanish MG3  - Seeing as no one took a photo of me with the German MG3 because they were all laughing too hysterically
Coworker with German suppressed sniper rifle
Benefits of Joint Cooperation

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 07:19:46 AM »
What no pictures of this lovely fraulein?  I don't believe it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!